Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Soft Shell

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A friend was talking about this the other day... what is it!?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you look at a normal gore-tex (or similar) coated jacket, normally they are quite hard compared to normal cloth, the idea of a "soft shell" is that it is a flexible and has a similar feel to normal cloth.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So would you be able to wear a soft shell and perhaps a body warmer to ski in?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick-o, you could wear a soft shell like any other ski jacket. Some are called "shells" but are lined jackets.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nick-o,

Basically its an alternative material and it often has a stretch feel. You may pay a lot to get one that is fully waterproofed and you can batten down but that is probably due to the design as much as the fabric. I am concerned how durable they may prove to be and although they might be slightly better to climb in, I don't know how much rock bashing they may do. Also, wear and tear on hard points...??

I use one for spring skiing and it has a mesh liner...and its quite warm. It fits between a heavy XCR shell and a Paklite XCR shell as the Pakliet is lighter and less warm. In view of this, I have relegated it to a golfing jacket as it does't have a hood. I think you can get more technical ones but they will be nigh of the price of an XCR shell and if you only have the one jacket, get the GT XCR, IMV
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Soft shell is basically to allow for more stretch and more breathability as it isn't 100% waterproof, though some new ones have taped seams and claim to be waterproof. As skiing is generally a dryish sport unless you love really bad weather it seems a good plan to me, except, most softshells have minimal fluff on the inside, which is what supplies the insulation, a type of fleece. I run cold so need the traditional insulation of a hard shell. There are a few softshells around that have a padded liner that can be zipped inside and I would have considered one of those, but of course you lose some of the soft shell benefits once you zip something like Thinsulate inside!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thought i'd throw my 2 pennies worth back into this one, a year later!

I ended up buying one.. and was the best buy i've had all year! I wore it skiing with a north face body warmer and a tshirt or 2, like you say its not completely waterproof, but if you're not falling all the time its fine. It's pretty warm and REALLY flexible. I've worn mine all year round (seriously) and if it hadn't been as well made as it is, i'd be buying another this weekend!

I highly recommend it, if it does get colder you can throw a jacket on top.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy