Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing.....but backwards

Poster: A snowHead
Well i mean i can go straight and stop backwards fine, its just the turning i have a problem with, seeing as i dont have twin tips... its a bit hard to carve Very Happy I can slightly turn if i lean my balance but it doesnt work too well..

Is there a way? Basically i want to film my friends when im in Stubai and was thinking, why not make it interesting and go backwards?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timmaah wrote:
Well i mean i can go straight and stop backwards fine, its just the turning i have a problem with, seeing as i dont have twin tips... its a bit hard to carve Very Happy I can slightly turn if i lean my balance but it doesnt work too well..

Is there a way?

Stand taller on the skis and -tip- them over.

Quote:

Basically i want to film my friends when im in Stubai and was thinking, why not make it interesting and go backwards?

The short answer is: Michael Kennedy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The most important thing about skiing backwards is to be looking over your shoulder, which of couse means you can't see what you're filming. I often follow my mates and film from behind but if you want a frontal shot you're gonna have to ski/board ahead and get perched in a good spot. Makes for a much steadier shot as well . wink

Edit: I don't go with the stand taller advice if it's meant as stand taller than when skiing normally.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timmaah, on our camcorder you can swivel the viewfinder round, so it looks like you're filming behind you whilst skiing backwards Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy, cheat! rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skisimon, yeah - but it works! NehNeh
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skidonald wrote:

Edit: I don't go with the stand taller advice if it's meant as stand taller than when skiing normally.

It's meant as 'stand taller than you're trying to stand whilst attempting backwards right now': more pressure is needed at the tails of the skis, not the tips.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well skiing backwards and gaining momentum isnt the problem, its more of the turning.. i guess i could do snow plough turns but thats... slow Very Happy I'll try it out on a blue piste and if i fail i will scrap the idea.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, is that the tails of the skis going forwards that are now going backwards, or the tails that were tips going backwards but are now tips going forwards Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lampbus, just like port and starboard are always relative to the ship, tip and tail are always relative to the ski, not the direction of motion. Little Angel Forward turning start-pressure tips. Backwards turning start - pressure tails.

Timmaah doesn't tell us what skis he's doing this on, some of the stiffer&slimmer-tailed skis might be a bit more difficult.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Head c220 si skies.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
114/68/98 no surprise that 98 tail needs more work to start it than the 114 tip. By turning it around, it's effectively a 1998 ski. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Which means... it's going to be a hell of a **** to do it effectively?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just quite different from frontwards, and demanding somewhat deliberate motions to learn quickly because they may be counterintuitive.

I had a lot easier time learning because I was on slalom skis with fat tails.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timmaah, no need to ski backwards. There is an easier solution. Ski forwards but film back through your legs. It will be upside down but today's software can overcome that.
ski holidays
I'm intrigued by this thread - have I understood correctly - it is possible to buy skis which have two curved tips one at each end permiting skiers to effectively ski backwards?

Filming between the legs seems somewhat fraught with danger - couldn't the camera be held under one arm facing backwards with the viewfinder suitably rotated and just visible to view by looking down on it.
latest report
chris, hold the camera upside down then...consultancy at its finest Laughing

Megamum, yep and they're completely symmetric as well
latest report
Megamum,
Quote:

Filming between the legs seems somewhat fraught with danger
.............. No it's not wink

(you will need to login to the snomediazone to view, 2.5mb WMV)
snow conditions
pistemeister, hmm I think a detect a modicum of unnecessary skidding there - could you try carving those turns a touch more? Laughing
latest report
pistemeister Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
I'm always a bit worried that bindings are clearly not designed to release when going backwards. And not that much reassured by skiing only slowly means that there's no real risk -- lots of people manage to hurt themselves falling over when standing still.
snow conditions
Yoda, I spend most of my time on the slopes with the tips of my skis on the tails of the skis of the skier in front, if they don't carve,I don't carve snowHead
ski holidays
See... i dont think i will film between the legs after i saw that video Very Happy I guess i will have to ski side-by-side really as backwards seems too much of a hassle. As for falling down and hurting yourself, no pain no game. I've had wipeouts going pretty fast where my legs flew everywhere and i was fine, i always find that the people who hurt themselves when they fall over from a stationary position are just old and brittle.

So basically if i do want to try this out, most of weight to the end of my skis (not the front which are curved) and lean heavily in the direction i want to turn...
ski holidays
When I film from in front I ski forwards, arm out down and to the side with the camera facing backwards, screen pointing out at me (so I can see it) and try not to twist too much.

If you've got a good 'feel' for where the camera points then you don't need to watch it religiously anyway.

Skiing side on gives some good results if you can keep the camera down relatively low.

Wouldn't recommend through the legs tbh, but thats only IMO.

Or - get a helmet mount camera, and wing mirror, make your own rear view camera Shocked
snow report
Well filming was done, its definately very shakey with a lot pointing towards the ground (three different people filmed), i guess helment mount camera is the way to go. As for skiing backwards, it sure is hard to go fast backwards, i can turn fairly well and a lot easier using my friends twin tip skis.
ski holidays
Timmaah, in this month's (jan, issue 66) fall-line skiing, there is a free dvd & a lot of the skiers are filmed skiing backwards - fast too.
ski holidays
need to try and get me a hold of that... but how not in britain :/
snow report
Timmaah, drop fellow snowHead falliner a line, it's his mag so should be able to help out.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lupinp2003 wrote:
I'm always a bit worried that bindings are clearly not designed to release when going backwards. And not that much reassured by skiing only slowly means that there's no real risk -- lots of people manage to hurt themselves falling over when standing still.

However knees are clearly designed to bend backwards, making such a release mechanism superfluous. wink
latest report
Timmaah, if he can't, let me know - I have a friend who doesn't ever watch the dvds. The clips are good though short, of about 7 or 8 skiers, some of them are amazing (in my opinion) extremely balanced & relaxed. The particulary long backwards clip is no. 7, Richard Permin who skies fast backward - it shows how he initiates it too, he also takes off & lands backwards. The Andreas Hatveit clip is good (last clip) & there is a nutter who skies down from a helicopter. writing this in a rush Smile pm me if you can't get it from falliner.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy