Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

White Christmas douses fires in Australia

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heavy snow transformed the fire-blackened landscape in Victoria's east into a brilliant white. Just days after fearing deadly fires would destroy their mountain, residents of Mt Buller, northeast of Melbourne, were hurling snowballs at each other. As much as 30mm of snow fell at Mt Baw Baw overnight....

Adelaide shivered through its coldest Christmas Day in 13 years. And Hobart hasn't had a Christmas quite as cold in more than two decades.
And the weather was amiss in Sydney, too, where the traditional backpacker pilgrimage to Bondi was subdued - only about 10,000 of the usual 40,000 plonked themselves down on the famous stretch - because of the cooler temperatures and the early-morning drizzle.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,20974869-948,00.html
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=28&ContentID=17092
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some of my friends celebrated a white Christmas (remember that it's mid summer in Australlia), but they were more relieved that most of the fires were out.

Sadly a lot of mountain huts were burnt, both the touristy ones like Craig's Hut http://www.kosciuskohuts.org.au/Hut%20Profiles%20VIC/Profile%20Craigs.html and the remote refuges days from the nearest road like Gantner. http://www.kosciuskohuts.org.au/Hut%20Profiles%20VIC/Profile%20Gantner.html

After the last fires the bureaucrats only allowed 10% of the burnt mountain huts to be rebuilt, as huts allegedly "reduce the wilderness quality of the High Country". The fact that they also save a lot of lives doesn't seem to worry them. But I suppose they work in nicely heated city office blocks, so they have never been stuck out in a two week long blizzard! *Rant Ends*
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mt Buller's burning again. First wildfire, then snow and now wildfire again. A few photos:

Mt Buller ski runs looking very dry and non alpine. (They were burnt last month)

The fires are more visible at night.

Aerial bombing of the fires (This is the "pic of the day" so it may change)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 12-01-07 0:09; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kerekip, I was in Sydney over Christmas and New Year. I thought the weather was rather pleasant being in the mid 20's but the locals thought it was cold - last year at the same time the temp was in the 40's.

The weather seems a bit back to front this year.

snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think this is salutary. It's unseasonably warm in the Alps for a month or two and some people straight away shout "it's global warming in action".
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, as long as someone is reading this... The fires got within 50 metres of the town. Aeroplanes and helicopters dumped a heck of a lot of phoscheck (the orange fire retardant) on all the trees and buildings. Lots of fire tankers and crews were running around mopping up wind blown embers that ignited fires in advance of the main fire-front. The artificial snow making guns were turned on to spray water around.

This is the race hut for the site of the World Cup Aerials. Note the snowmaking guns turned on and the red tinge from the fire retardant it has been bombed with.

A satelite photo of the Victorian "High Country" as the locals call it. That is a heck of a lot of smoke!

Finally , I don't think this one needs a caption

Oh heck, one more picture, I don't think anyone's still on dial up anymore, sorry if you are...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 14-01-07 3:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Amazing pictures, makes you wonder, how on earth they are going to get these fires out.

snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The only way to put the fires out is prolonged heavy rain. As Australia is in its worst drought for 105 years, this isn't terribly likely Sad

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 14-01-07 3:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman, maybe it is?!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well the latest news is that the fires have now burnt a million hectares (two and a half million acres) of tall montane forest (250 ft high eucalypts), cool temperate rainforest and alpine heathland in Victoria. Today has had cooler weather in low 20's at sea level (so under 10 degrees in the mountains). This has slowed the fires, but they are still burning on many fronts. They are expected to flare up again when it gets hot in a few days Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy