Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Listening to music on the piste (of off!)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

now that I have a helmet with headphones in, I want to make use of the music emmitting devices. So my question to you is, what sort of ipoddy type device do you use? I don't think an IPOD nano would withstand many falls!
Or do you use them with no problems?

Ta,

Si
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No music for me...I want to be able to hear whats going on around me
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, totaly agree ..
Quote:

No music for me...I want to be able to hear whats going on around me
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
WARNING FOR IPODS!!!!

My friend two seasons ago had an ipod mini (1g i think) and after his skiing holiday the battery life diminished quickly, i took my ipod mini 2g last year and had it in my pocket, never fell on it but it was subject to pretty cold temperatures at times even though it was in my inside pocket of my jacket...Since then the battery life diminished quickly and ultimately it only worked for 30 minutes (despite it showing a full battery at start), im guessing the cold destroyed some battery cells. So if you do decide to take an mp3 player which doesnt run on batteries you may want to think again.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have used our Sony MP3's without any problem.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm with JT on this no music for me. I think a Nano being solid state rather than using a laptop type hard disk would be more robust.

iPod Environmental requirements from Apple

Operating temperature: 0° to 35° C (32° to 95° F)
Non operating temperature: -20° to 45° C (-4° to 113° F)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing
Maximum operating altitude: 3000 m (10,000 feet)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Provided you are a reasonable skier, most portable or mobile MP3 players will do.

Keep volume low, so one can still hear the outside world.

Store it inside your jacket, to protect it from the cold.

There are ruggedized sporting versions available. The Rio S35S is one example. Rugged electronic units usually look a bit sad, though.

If you are under 30, then it is best to steer clear of iPods, too. They have become an old duffer's device.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 26-12-06 21:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abv wrote:
I'm with JT on this no music for me. I think a Nano being solid state rather than using a laptop type hard disk would be more robust.

Well that explains it... I personally didnt use it on the piste as i found it annoying, i like to hear the noise that i make when i ski...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timmaah wrote:
abv wrote:

Well that explains it... I personally didnt use it on the piste as i found it annoying, i like to hear the noise that i make when i ski...

Use a cheap MP3 player that runs on disposable batteries.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheap ebay jobbies the best bet
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm with JT et al. MP3 players are for trains/planes etc. Isn't there enough to remember to take with you on the slopes anyway? Admittedly, I run with an iPod nano (some times).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is one 'old duffer' who wouldn't use an IPOD! I feel the need to have 100per cent concentration when skiing, so no music for me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like the sound of powder the best.

(and being friendly - talking to other people on the lifts)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No MP3 for me on the slopes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hmmm seems I need to re-think!
Well, I suppose I could still buy a nano for the journey, a day/night on a coach could get a little boring, even though there'll be lots of people to get into conversations with.

I might have to try it one day, just to see what it's like.
ski holidays
Quote:

I might have to try it one day, just to see what it's like

Is that ipods or talking to strangers?
snow report
lol I was wondering if it might provoke such a response. Laughing

both maybe
ski holidays
I love music, but not whilst skiing. I need to concentrate.
latest report
I use my iPod (hard disk) on the slope some times, only one ear so i can listen out for a "watch out, runaway ski etc" but I feel the rythm actually improves my skiing and the iPod works fine after aswell.
snow report
I use an ipod, 4th generation (i think) its the chunky white one from before they started doing video.
Servived a fair bit of skiing (including Val T last febuary when it was rather cold out), and I havent been able to break it despite droping it on the floor countless times.
snow conditions
I have music everywhere around me at home, in the car, and at work, but I cannot understand how, except for lifties and loners, why anyone outside a terrain park, needs music on the mountain. I will hum/sing to myself sometimes in bumps/on steeps to get a rhythm, but isn't the sound of the snow, of rushing through the trees, of the wind etc enough? Probably this means I am a grumpy old git, but I am not busy pretending to be the star of a ski movie, and I don't need the soundtrack to one either.
snow conditions
The local Aldi was selling a tough waterproof etc sports mp3 player - and it was pleasing to the eye too.

My normal mp3 player from argos has gone flying and hit the playgorund a few times when running for class. they are pretty tough - but beware of ones with big glass screens, as my friend found out.

Strange, I have music 24/7 - UNLESS I'm skiing... guess I never had the means really - and I prefer to hear what's going on.
latest report
stoatsbrother, If you are a
Quote:
grumpy old git

for not wanting music whilst you ski, you are probably in the majority rolling eyes . (Not counting teenagers who don't seem to be able to function without things stuck in their ears 24/7.)
snow report
Part of being in the hills is the quiet...but for the trek to work I use an MPio 2GB solid state player. For tricks you need rhythym but Frosty the Snowman and I are naturally talented at that wink
snow conditions
So, it seems the majority of people, well, at least on here, prefer not to have music in their ears and I will probably turn out to be the same.
Therefore, I wonder why (apart from the sales perk) why manufacturers didn't survey first to see if people would actually USE them! Maybe it's just the skaters etc that like the idea (as in the ones that use the strange phenomenon of wheels).
snow report
Quite apart from disliking background music (I love music too much for that - if it's any good I want to follow the music, and if it isn't I don't want it) I love the high mountains too much. How is there any part of you left to listen to music when you are absorbed by skiing up there. I want really to be there, not have anything masked. I even dislike the barrier of goggles.

But that's a matter of taste - more important wouldn't it be dangerous on piste? You need ever indication to avoid collisions - peripheral vision, of course, but also the sound of other skis when they are close, or someone's shout of warning.
ski holidays
I for one am a teenager! And i dont like music while i ski, i prefer to hear the cries that follow after i pass the poor innocent yet vulnerable skiiers and snowboarders... Also, the music they play on the mountain is superb! (kidding about the music... its awful)
latest report
Music? Freestyle the Stokedman and I get tuned to the Beasties and the Scratch Perverts whilst spinning cab 360's in the half pipe...steez, dude, steez Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Si, also, I get useful feedback on what my skis are doing from the noise they make...which I quite enjoy anyway...
latest report
Well OK, if you want something on the earphones, how about having small microphones mounted on the helmet, feeding the sound to the earphones! Little Angel

And OK, the Park is different, being artificial itself. (Is that where you hear music being played? I can't say I can ever remember hearing music anywhere on the open mountain?)
ski holidays
Last year was the first year i listened to music while skiing (as i got a burton audio beanie for crimbo!) and i found it very relaxing now and again. Although we were skiing in a group, I found there's something relaxing and chilled about listening to your favourite tracks (dependant on what you're actually listening too of course) while skiing through a quiet tree lined piste. No one else around, very peaceful, ski wherever you want to, tis a nice feeling (got a similar feeling on a chairlift too!) But on the other hand i didn't like it as much on busier slopes.

With regards the battery, the ipod mini has an older "memory" style battery which causes the battery life to diminish over time if its not decharged completely before charging again. After 2 and a bit years mine will only last 30 mins on a full charge. I know the temperature does affect battery life, perhaps this style of battery is more suseptable to fading in low temperatures?
latest report
Quote:

(Is that where you hear music being played? I can't say I can ever remember hearing music anywhere on the open mountain?)

What you can't hear the drift of euro pop across the mountain from the ski huts ....? Accompnaied by the smell of stale cigarettes and coffee and gluhwein .... skiing in Austria wouldn't be the same with out it.

I have a padded pocket in my ski jacket but only use music when on the lifts or my kids have left me half way up the mountain.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy