Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1-7 january is the snow coming

Poster: A snowHead
all the current forecasts are concurring for a snowy week 1-7 january in the alps?
Is it just me or do the temperatures seem marginal?I dont want to be getting wet over the new year rolling eyes Any way I think its looking promising ,what do all you weather experts think wink
a merry christmas to all snowHead and a snowy new year
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hedley, hop it snows before - we're off to Les Houches - got some snow already but need a huge dump soon
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shock This also possible in tirol by any chance?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
promising sounds good
the better be some snow that week!
At worst i suppose the coverage should at least be better than the snow at BUSC in Risul in Easter '05
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmmm.... looking like some showers from new year but it is quite warm, almost spring-like at the moment, so the snow may only be above 2000-2200meters. Summers on its way, the days are getting longer. Winter's over. Well at least that is what the trees in my garden think.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Things look touch-and-go right now. Precipitation does look possible in the first week of Jan, but it may only be a dusting and some of it may fall as rain below roughly 2000m.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bah. It needs to snow soon before all of my staff end up in hospital - two of them plus a guest this week. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As long as its nice snow from 2300m up i dont care Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, killing off clients and staff isn't the best idea!!!

conditions here are still excellent! and snow forecast for 3rd/4th/5th and 7th.

i am naked snow dancing as we speak Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can get a 7 day forecast through the SCGB, but where do people get a longer range forecast for the Alps?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball, depends if you want an accurate one or one that makes things up to ensure clients don't cancel.... rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lisach, no snow forecast is accurate, and every site i've seen gets it wrong sometimes. Dont stop us looking at them but it dont mean we believe them!

Anyone who cancells a holiday on what they see in the weather mans eyes is plain stupid. I mean you dont cancell a summer holiday if it rains do you? YOu just make do with what you got, and i think everyone is making far to m uch of the situation, or that is what i feel from what i can see right here in this resort! What we got is more than enough to have lots of fun on.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowangel., how is the snow in serre............................

we come out on the 6th................

lets keep praying.........
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
its never going to snow ever ever ever again
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
plectrum wrote:
its never going to snow ever ever ever again

awww, from the 4th of January the forecast is for snow.... above 2800 meters Shocked
snow report
snowangel. wrote:
no snow forecast is accurate, and every site i've seen gets it wrong sometimes. Dont stop us looking at them but it dont mean we believe them!

Hmm, I'm afraid that is is a inaccurate statement. Both 'expert' forecasters and educated amatuers have picked this dreadfull winter right from the start of November, please look back through the messages to see my point. The GFS and other models have been almost spot on this year and hence the fear from most as they predict the same again and again and again. Whether its global warming or not the facts remain that its zonal. When it does rain its simply too warm unless you live near a glacier.

snowangel. wrote:
lisach, Anyone who cancells a holiday on what they see in the weather mans eyes is plain stupid. I mean you dont cancell a summer holiday if it rains do you? You just make do with what you lot, and i think everyone is making far to
much of the situation, or that is what i feel from what i can see right here in this resort! What we got is more than enough to have lots of fun on.

Well we have, I will simply not waste good money on a poor holiday. Granted where you are is ok, but I'm afriad not all can or want to stay there. We were going to the La Clusaz area and I'm afraid I am not prepared to ski on 4cm of snow in the resort. Its a) not safe and b) not much fun.

The outlook I am afraid is rubbish by the way.
latest report
lisach wrote:

Thats what i like to read.... a positive attitude Laughing
latest report
Chris Brookes, well I have done with any optimism. Most criticisied the 'doom mongers' and said the weather forecasts can't be trusted. The fact remains that they are both correct, its pants and there is little sign of any change.
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
lisach wrote:

Thats what i like to read.... a positive attitude Laughing

A pessimist is a well-informed optimist wink
ski holidays
Whitegold, I haven't read a more accurate comment that that for some time!
snow conditions
anyone know where to find a decent Italian weather forecast website for the Dolomites ?
snow conditions
JonnyRocket, you've just walked into an internet version of a hornets' nest...
snow conditions
lisach wrote:
Chris Brookes, well I have done with any optimism. Most criticisied the 'doom mongers' and said the weather forecasts can't be trusted. The fact remains that they are both correct, its pants and there is little sign of any change.

'fraid so. Looking at the sequence starting here I think there may be snow 3-4 January in the Alps - maybe - and then poor prospects.
snow report
ok... but what do the pretty pictures mean ?
ski holidays
Best tutorial is here - scroll down the post a little. Must admit it is a new concept for me. BTW, I will be absolutely delighted if someone can tell me that my understanding is wrong about the weather prospect.
snow report
lisach, If the model you have been using is right how far can it predict ahead?
snow report
The GFS model progs upto 384 hours, most others do a week ahead, however its not just the models that cause the concern. Its the other winter indicators that are all wrong, I have no real idea of the technicalities but a little research on t'internet will show that there is a problem.

Also places like Russia where it should be very very cold has yet to see their real winter begin.

But as I said a few days ago the GFS is normally very inaccurate (72hrs+), however its been far better recently and bearing in mind what its telling us we need to worry, mild mush to continue. Even if its wrong its hardly like to be able to swing so far in the other direction to lower temperatures sufficiently.
snow report
I don't go till the 19th, so there may yet be hope for me. Has anyone predicted that far ahead? Since we have hired a guide I reckon I'll just be trashing my lovely skis off-piste if it doesn't improve a great deal.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lisach wrote:
snowball, depends if you want an accurate one or one that makes things up to ensure clients don't cancel.... rolling eyes
And if I want the best there is?......... ?
snow report
In regards to the original question unless I'm missing something its looking more and more like the answer is yes, there will be some snow early in the new year. Am I missing something? This seems as promising as I have seen it since mid-December.
snow report
Monkfish just beat me to it - I'm no expert on GFS, but the 'niederschlag' (I can only find this model on wetterzentrale.de) is looking quite promising for 1st of Jan onwards. Even the chamonix website is suggesting that it may get snowy around the Tuesday. It all still looks a bit touch and go but at least there's hope...

Mind you, I go on the 20th Jan and hoping to spend the entire 7 days off-p. We are now in the unfortunate situation of there being too little snow at the moment to cover the rocks, and any snow to fall in the next 3 weeks could still be quite unstable, especially if the existing snow is rock hard and causes a significant weakness. cross fingers I guess.

d

ps. saw the sun in Hertford yesterday for the first time for about 2 weeks !
snow report
I agree with Monkfish, it looks like there'll be some snow in the New Year, probably nothing like what is needed to get things up to full speed but enough to freshen things up. Best charts since mid December.

Apologies of above statement not fitting in with the general nihilism on this thread.
ski holidays
It looks like there will be modest snow up high, with occasional rain down low. About 1500m looks like the general tipping point for most parts of the Alps right now.
snow conditions
there's more snow in the alpes than nottingham Smile and better than a snow-dome. will have to wait and see what happens. will continue to pray for snow in deux alpes. presumably glacier will help and piste likely to be opened?
snow report
Anyone else use the Metcheck website for their ski forecasts? I use them loads in the UK because they always seem to be much better than other sources so hopefully they are just as good in France. Anyways they are forecasting a dump in the first week of Jan for Morzine and wider area..here's hoping. Very Happy
snow report
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_resorts.asp?country=France (apologies, I left the link off!! rolling eyes )
snow conditions
Gone off Metcheck a little recently, been consistently wrong with their hill walking forecasts for most of the second half of 2006. (Peak District/Snowdonia/Lake District) In fact the BBC's one symbol that covers the whole day has been more accurate.

I still look at it every day but where most others are looking at snow from Moday Metcheck says nothing until Wednesday for Tignes. Hey maybe they'll be right and everyone else wrong.

Its showing 20+cm snow for Tignes, about 2cm for Val D'isere. Not sure how likely that is to happen.
snow conditions
Reckon there'll be snow by mid-feb? Confused
snow report
Monkfish, thanks for that. Seems to be the one website that I look at that is usually at least a little closer to what happens outside my window at least. As you say it might be that they get this one right!!! Monday or Wednesday either way will do me just fine as long as it in one (or both) of them!
snow report
Its not gonna dump ever is it Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy