Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have a laugh on me - after all it is Christmas!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks

So there's nothing decent on the box tonight so I thought I'd let you have a laugh on me.

Now the quality of this is not brilliant (verges on pretty bad in places), esp as at the top dh was on full zoom - it gets a wee bit better as I get down, but this is me after 2-3 hours of private lessons.

Am I doing anything right/wrong or am I just a lost cause?

http://youtube.com/v/2bXqFlHLPMU

You might need to cut and paste the above into your browser.

Happy holidays to all. We're definitely going in Feb, I booked the ferry yesterday - hurray
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow,pretty fantastic for only three hours on ski's !! Turns fairly even, I'm not qualified to comment on ways to improve, I'd probably only confuse you by misdescribing what I mean so I'll leave that to others but personally I think the best advice I can give you is to go and get another three hours from the same instructor. Very Happy Merry Christmas
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, excellent! Very Happy Was that a little rat on skis, or just an exceptionally small child!? Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skisimon, magnetic children, they're everywhere on ski pistes Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Magnetic children I think - I pretty certain is at least one was my Swiss friend's little one - I think she is only 4.

Wow, I certainly didn't expect fantastic/excellent, you are most kind. I am expecting 'wooden', unflexible - doubtless due to my advanced age c/o (Whitegold) and lacking in confidence. Luckily on video you can't hear the cogs going round in my brain - its very concentration intensive too!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, I thought your basic position was very good, and that you very exceedingly brave ignoring all those small missiles hurtling at you. You could work on dropping your hands a little (bit tense in the arm department), and moving towards a small plough in the turn, but for 3 hours tuition I think it's marvellous. Happy christmas. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, .......... fabulous ...... Very Happy snowHead

....... with more practice & more time on the snow ....... Megskieramum, ........
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
W.r.t. the small missiles, I do try to be aware of where they are and try to judge my speed such that I miss them, but sometimes the odd one catches me unawares! Can I assume that once you reach a degree of competency that you can do it without the constant concentration?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, Very nice position for one so inexperienced. With such a nice stance you should progress really quickly. Big Thumbs up. Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, I reckon you would have no problem taking that technique a bit steeper if you have the emotional attitude to go for it snowHead

As easiski says, maybe you could loosen up and relax a bit more - you're supposed to be enjoying this Toofy Grin (but then you are being videoed, which probably didn't help). At least you're arms aren't in the "electricity pylon" position adopted by lots of beginners Laughing

Great stuff.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, it's a brave soul who puts a video up of thier skiing on snowHead and then asks for comments, well done.
I think it was great, like Frosty, say if I say anything it maybe wrong so I'll just keep it to one small comment of it's easier to turn if your moving abit faster, the momentum will pull you around.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, Excellent skiing, just a small observation, you missed both of the small moving obstacles by quite a wide margin Shocked . If you were to tuck in a bit more, add a bit of speed and get your shoulders down and elbows out, you could probably have taken them both out for a game-winning 20 points Twisted Evil Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How many would I get for a snowboarder?..... Twisted Evil

Thanks both for your thoughts. I reasoned that posting the video was probably the easiest way of explaining the level I was at in my skiing and henceforth why I'm still at the stage of asking what might seem to the more experienced as somewhat 'daft' questions.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

How many would I get for a snowboarder?.....

INCOMING !!!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
I'm still at the stage of asking what might seem to the more experienced as somewhat 'daft' questions.
If you're about to take your instructor's exams, the sort of 'expert' u need is someone who has done their instructor's exams whereas if you're about to go away on your first trip, the sort of 'expert' u need is someone who just came back from their first trip.

Fortunately we have expertise right across the range at snowHeads snowHead
So, you'd be daft not to ask the question Wink
snow conditions
Megamum

There is no such thing as a 'daft' question. If you need to ask a question, you obviously do not know the answer, so the question is not 'daft' to you ( hope that sounds ok)
I encourage my clients to ask as many questions as they like, and also question what i tell them, so they fully understand what we are trying to achieve.

Ask the questions and some snowHead will come back with an answer. ( This will then lead to a great debate as not everybody will agree)
snow report
Megamum, Once you've practised and become experienced you'll find that the small missiles are much better able to hit you than they currently are! Shocked rolling eyes don't forget - if they're coming from above it's their job to avoid you, not the other way around! Even if they're small. Very Happy
ski holidays
Megamum, if you are going to hit something.. hit something small. wink
latest report
But be prepared for the fact that if a small child comes hurtling down a slope at 90 degrees to you, hits you and goes sprawling, (this is where all the slopes end and you catch the lifts), an ESF bitch from hell will shout at you in both French and English that it's all your fault. Even though you are poling at the time! Shocked
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
Megamum, I thought your basic position was very good,

Yep. There are "advanced-intermediates" who aren't that well balanced. Embarassed

Quote:
You could work on dropping your hands a little (bit tense in the arm department),

Is this the root cause or is it related to the slight shoulder roll and chin down (looking at close-in snow <- perfectly appropriate in this instance)

Quote:

and moving towards a small plough in the turn,

ah, this comes under "avoiding the braking snowplough", then?
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON,
Quote:

Megamum, if you are going to hit something.. hit something small.

I don't really agree with this. I find it more comfortable hitting something well padded. snowHead
snow report
Hitting something tall, padded and Handsome would do for me! Very Happy

Thanks for the comments on a balanced position. I wonder if years spent riding horses in childhood and adolescence has helped with an even balance - Riding involves a toes up heels down postion, toes just disappearing behind the knees as you look down at your legs from an upright position and hands held forward holding the reins doesn't seem to me to be that far removed from what I see discussed as being good skiing position here. Also, I know I have to get fit and I have a resistance rowing/leg push machine which works both sides of the body evenly and this must also help.

I think arms tense is a legitimate observation - I think they were - probably in common with the rest of the me (which I'm surprised doesn't show through). I really tried to listen to what I had been told and then to apply it, at the same time I was conquering a whole lot of fear tat week to even launch down the slope at all. The way I saw it I stood more chance of staying upright and getting down if I did things exactly as I been told. Technique first - bravado second. Also, I'm not content with just doing something - if I do something I generally try to do it well and I guess there is no point paying £21 per hour for private lessons if I ignore what I have been told to do.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
toes up heels down postion, toes just disappearing behind the knees as you look down at your legs from an upright position and hands held forward .

Should work pretty well for skating as well. Very Happy
ski holidays
Well I can skate reasonably OK as well! Smile
snow report
And here I was believing this novice business.
latest report
comprex, Braking snowplough in fine in it's place, but it's place isn't in the middle of a turn! Shocked

Megamum, riding and skiing have a lot in common as you've observed, however the biggest difference is in the lower back. In riding you need to keep your lower back straight in order to drive the horse under you, but in skiing you want the lower back to be somewhat like a sack of potatos, or a rag doll. In every other respect the positions are very similar, and riding helps you not to rotate round the corner etc. (I used to ride a lot). Very Happy
snow report
easiski wrote:
comprex, Braking snowplough in fine in it's place, but it's place isn't in the middle of a turn! Shocked

I was merely wondering whether the comment was directed to
removing braking moves in turns or
making weight transfer easier.
snowHead
snow conditions
comprex, Both, but in Megamum,'s case I just thought she overdid it. OTOH she's very new to skiing so doing brill.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, You're teasing me.

To qualify that statement - I skate OK, I am confident enough to hold small kids up and not let them drag me over, I can do cross overs going forwards and turn whilst proceeding forwards to go backwards, but can only manage backwards by making 'lemon' shaped movements with the skates I can also turn around again to go forwards. What I can't do (no matter how much I try) is one of those fancy hockey stops, I also don't think I am consciously aware of the edges of the skates - I just go along. From your comments I assume that skating is useful to skiing?

easiski, Yes, I do make a pigs ear of one of those turns don't I, I think the brakes unintentionally went on. Although it still takes a lot of concentration once or twice I almost got to the point where I realised that I almost haven't been thinking, then I realised this and started concentrating again and it all goes to pot Puzzled
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
From your comments I assume that skating is useful to skiing?

For body awareness and front-to-back balance, yes, i.e. to achieve what you already mostly have.

Looking to it for more than that is probably more trouble than it's worth, for example I've noticed that skaters who haven't done lot of one-footed drills (in both sports) tend to weight the inside ski a bit too much and too soon, and to push the outside ski out instead of tipping it.
snow report
easiski wrote:
Megamum, Once you've practised and become experienced you'll find that the small missiles are much better able to hit you than they currently are! Shocked rolling eyes

Ain't that the truth!

easiski, is there anything you haven't done?! Wink Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy