Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice sought on Val d'Isere trip March 07

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to Val in March (4th-11th) next year and I am looking for some advice. I went last year with my eldest son (almost 8 now), father and a friend. This year we are all going again but in place of the friend is my uncle. This will be my uncle's first trip since having both hips replaced and it will also be the first time he has returned to the place where his brother's ashes are scattered (top of Salaise: bit of a spiritual home as the two of them started skiing the Alps back in the early 70's).

Anyway, on to the advice. Over the past three years I've been skiing with the family and especially my eldest to ensure he gets bitten before he pulls the short straw in terms of a bad instructor that could possibly put him off for life (or long enough that it feels like life to me!). Its worked a treat and he is now all gung ho so this year I feel confidant leaving him in the hands of an instructor, at least for a few hours a day. I've looked on snowheads and there's a lot of too'ing and fro'ing about the high cost of 'British' Ski Schools (only BASS seems to be mentioned) when compared with 'French' Ski Schools which, in the case fo ESF, may or may not (no one seems to be clear) include a free full/partial ski pass. Is there anyone here who really understands what is going on? Also whilst BASS are mentioned, is there anyone with any recent experience of them in Val? To be honest I am probably one of those 'myopic or xenophobic' people who would prefer to pay an extra £50 - £100 for my sons lessons to minimise the chance of a holiday going sour because my kid does not enjoy ski school (especially as his calling seems to be 'Drama Queen' these days). Its kinda his holiday too after all.

Then there's me. With the chance to cut loose for a few hours a day at least while my father and uncle enjoy the motorways, I fancy something a little more challenging. As such I would like to try a half day or two learning to ski off piste (properly). I've faffed about with the best of them but this will be my first firay off piste / in the back country, or whatever it is you call it these days, with an instructor/guide. Evo 2 seems to have mixed reviews (although mainly for kids) so are there any other 'recommendations' or 'steer clears' out there? As its me, I'm a bit more worried about the price so would be happy to be instructed by any nationality as long as they have enough English for me to understand what it is I'm supposed to be doing and to keep myself safe!

Finally, on some of the mornings that I don't take a lesson, I'm looking to hook up with some like minded people to ski with before taking a more relaxed approach with the rest of the family in the afternoons. Joining the SCGB and hooking up with a Rep groups seems like the obvious answer so does anyone have any experience of doing this especially in Val or have any alternative suggestions?

Thanks in advance, time to finish filling the kids stockings and sorry about such a lengthy first post. Merry Christmas all.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nhayes, welcome to snowHeads.

I couldn't answer specifics about Val d'Isere ski schools, as I've not used them. For finding people to ski with on days when you're not having lessons, by most accounts the Ski Club reps are very good, however if you fancy something a little less formal, hooking up with people off this site (there's bound to be someone out at the same time as you) can be very rewarding.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nhayes, ......... welcome to snowHeads snowHead

...... a bit of lateral thinking regarding ski schools - have a look at Mark Jones MOUNTAIN MASTERS, based in Val d'Isere ......

Merry Christmas ..... !
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy