Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ignorance + don't look......

Poster: A snowHead
While shopping I bumped into a couple of 'friends' today who are headed off (one) today and (one) next Sat to France and Austria. Both had no idea of the problems and lack of depth and dreadfull warm forecast. There reaction "but surely its going to be cold its the Alps........"

I wonder how many others don't spend all their time on this forum or reading the GFS charts. Laughing

Meanwhile don't click this link and see page 21 of the "General Output Discussion". Seems the amatuer experts are looking towards Feb before any change. Sad (search for the word Ski)

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=34983&st=340
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is looking increasingly likely that some parts of the Alps could hit mid-Jan with just one major snowfall in the 3 months since Oct. And that was back in early Dec. Not good.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ignorance really is bliss!

Why am I constantly searching the web for snow info? Surely me sat at the computer 24/7 wont make it snow???? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lisach, Well - there was a reason why I settled somewhere with a glacier and summer skiing!

the trouble is that everyone's so spoiled nowadays with cannons and everything - we've got more open now than 2 weeks ago. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Even the ski jumping in Lillehammer was on man made snow and the hill all around were green.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i've just spent 45 mins trying to find something vaguely positive to write in this thread and to be honest....I can't. Sad everything i have looked at suggests no change in terms of precip and a negative change in as much as temperature.

I'm desperate to be proven wrong but i am going to stick my neck out and say that i am not expecting any significant fresh snow before i go to Les Saisies on the 13th Jan. Now I'm hacked off and going to go in search of a good bottle of red. Suddenly find myself wondering why I have decided to book two weeks in January, when typically we have had fabulous conditions and yet I'm staring at little if any chance at least before we get there.....bu**er
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It was nearly as bad for us last year: not a lot then a dump a week before we went followed by an effing foehn rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skinutter, 3 weeks is a long time in mid winter in the alps. Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Easiski normally i'd agree but for some reason i just have a bad feeling this season Confused i've got most things crossed believe me LOL Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some of the longer-term forecasts are today starting to indicate snow for the Eastern Alps in about a week's time.

A few places in Austria are modeling snow for 6 of the first 8 days during Jan.

Things could still change again, though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The season is so up and down. One day, it snows (about 19/12) and then nothing for weeks. Skiing it just one of those things ..... you book it months in advance and you're just at the mercy of Mother Nature.

Com'on Mother!!!! wink wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sad I wake up everyday in anticipation of the newsletter from stubai to see if there is for once snow instead of sun forecasted... I think if i start looking at weather patterns and such i'll fall into depression... (im going 30th december to 7th jan).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
...an anti-cyclone more like! wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

you book it months in advance

that's the habit, and perhaps people will need to get out of that habit. Booking in advance for Christmas, in particular, has always been a super-lottery. Pre-season, really, no matter what people like to tell themselves. The prospect of mid January with still no significant snow is very depressing, but hardly unprecedented. I recall being in the 3V in early January 2002 and the snow was rubbish. That's when we happened across Les Saisies by accident, on the way home, and were so impressed with the snow cover being better than the whole of the 3V that we bought an apartment! I've had sunny, dry, holidays in the Portes du Soleil in January, too, with pistes getting more and more scraped and thin. But the sun was lovely - just means you have to spend even more time with a vin chaud on the terrace of a mountain restaurant. Hardly a tragedy! The fact that the French practically all go skiing in February and early March is hardly likely to be evidence of cultural perversity; years of experience do suggest that that's the best time.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, the voice of reason.
latest report
pam w wrote:

I've had sunny, dry, holidays in the Portes du Soleil in January, too, with pistes getting more and more scraped and thin. But the sun was lovely - just means you have to spend even more time with a vin chaud on the terrace of a mountain restaurant. Hardly a tragedy!

With due respect and no wish to offend Embarassed

I and many others wish to be/are serious skiers and to do that we need snow. While drinking maybe your chosen end to the day (and I know many others wink ) snowsports are indeed a 'sport' and I treat in the same way I would any other sport, and that means little drinking so I can stay alert and fit through a long day. Your comment suggests that as long as you are ok everything is fine, that is perhaps slightly missing my previous points.
ski holidays
I personally see skiing holiday much more than just skiing.

As enjoyable as 3 ft of powder under blue skis may be, sipping vin chaud with entrecote frites to follow whilst surrounded by magnificent scenery ain't to bad a way to spend an hour or so.

These snow reports don't depress me too much, we'll still have a great holiday in the mountains.

Quote:

and that means little drinking so I can stay alert and fit through a long day

I find a couple of pressions at lunch a veritable boost to my technique. Others may disagree!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 27-12-06 11:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
On a more positive note I'd just like to say how happy I am that it isn't snowing at the moment.

I've chosen to work 7 days over Xmas / New Year and will get 7 days holiday in return (if however it does snow I can opt to take hols). If it had snowed I'd be out on the slopes with the masses instead I can use these holidays at a later time when the snow is there but not during the holiday periods.

If the season starts later (but maintains the same duration) there could well be a lot more spring ski touring days to look forward to this year snowHead
ski holidays
Looks like the Alps might see some rain next week. That should cheer up some officebound skiers Sad
snow report
In the last few years Austria has seen a few cracking winters in terms of snowfall. One thing I like about skiing is that virtually nothing is predictable (esp the weather). The same run can be different every day because of the weather and skiers etc. Besides, without the lows in life you wouldn't appreciate the highs as much. A day on the slopes is better than any day in the office.
snow conditions
ooohh i just hope there will be some in the alps, when i get there at the end of march rolling eyes rolling eyes
and it was looking alright the end of last season
snow report
lisach, Pam is a) a serious skier, and not a maniac alcoholic and b) just trying to point out that if you've bought your holiday and you can't ski, it's a disapointment but not the end of the world. If you take an early ski holiday (and Xmas is early season), then it's always pot luck with the snow. Because of snow cannons, we've all been spoilt lately. Well, this year we couldn't use them to start with, natural snow will fall, but if you book early, then pick somewhere you are guaranteed to be able to ski. sorry to seem hard.

cookie monster, Where do you think it goes in-between-time? rolling eyes Very Happy
ski holidays
jonathancarty wrote:
I personally see skiing holiday much more than just skiing.

As enjoyable as 3 ft of powder under blue skis may be, sipping vin chaud with entrecote frites to follow whilst surrounded by magnificent scenery ain't to bad a way to spend an hour or so.

These snow reports don't depress me too much, we'll still have a great holiday in the mountains.

Quote:

and that means little drinking so I can stay alert and fit through a long day

I find a couple of pressions at lunch a veritable boost to my technique. Others may disagree!

Good points well made Very Happy I tested the 'a beer and a genepi at lunch improve my skiing' theory this week and proved it correct. If it's good enough for Bode...... Laughing
ski holidays
How much can we trust the american miltary forecast which looks a little more optimistic? With my trip just 2 weeks away for once I am happy to believeUS military intelligence! Puzzled Shocked snowHead
snow report
Martin Nicholas wrote:
...for once I am happy to believeUS military intelligence!

Which country are you, err, invading? Toofy Grin
snow report
Martin Nicholas, nice miltary forecast site wink
latest report
easiski wrote:
cookie monster, Where do you think it (snow) goes in-between-time? rolling eyes Very Happy

The tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny take it away to their secret hideout in Leamington Spar.
snow report
Quote:

lisach, Pam is a) a serious skier, and not a maniac alcoholic and b) just trying to point out that if you've bought your holiday and you can't ski, it's a disapointment but not the end of the world. If you take an early ski holiday (and Xmas is early season), then it's always pot luck with the snow.

thanks easiski. A serious skier who wants guaranteed snow for Christmas really shouldn't book in advance for one of the lowest resorts in the French Alps. La Clusaz is a great place, but not even it's greatest fans would claim it is snow-sure for Christmas. Most of us would like to see more snow around but sulking about it really isn't going to help. My daughter, who went for a surfing weekend in Pembroke with no surf and a wind-surfing holiday with no wind in Egypt is about to embark on a ski and boarding holiday with very little snow in Les Saisies in January. Luck of the draw. She's packed her hiking boots and some novels and as there are not that many pistes open, and she is a pretty good skier, she has decided to spend the week trying to improving her snowboarding which, like mine, is at a level where 3 or 4 blue pistes will keep us happy for ages. On skis, my goals for the week are to go all through those early season balance exercises easiski linked to a few weeks ago. Some of them are too difficult for me - but I'll get as far as I can (I'm still not able to turn left on the left foot, and right on the right foot but will practice initially on blades). Again, this is not something which needs more than a few gentle pistes open. Then when the snow does arrive I'll be ready for it. Given that some very serious and highly skilled ski racers spend practically their whole career on one short stretch of plastic in the middle of Derbyshire, or wherever, I'm sure we can all get something worthwhile out of a thin week in the Alps.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I like your above post. Its very similar to the luck we are having. (See http://www.snowheads.co.uk/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=499851&highlight=saas#499851). We chose a lower resort simply for convenience for the children, granted its not high enough but even the highest resorts are lousy at present, and its easier to get to should there be heavy snow (ha).

The good news is that the GFS charts do show signs of changes in 10 days or so. Something to keep an eye upon.
latest report
lisach wrote:
pam w, I like your above post. Its very similar to the luck we are having. (See http://www.snowheads.co.uk/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=499851&highlight=saas#499851). We chose a lower resort simply for convenience for the children, granted its not high enough but even the highest resorts are lousy at present, and its easier to get to should there be heavy snow (ha).

The good news is that the GFS charts do show signs of changes in 10 days or so. Something to keep an eye upon.

Perhaps you'd like to re-phrase that - if you bother to look at my pics (which mean I have to actually stop a group to take, so an inconvenience and effort to post) you'll see that the above statement IS NOT TRUE.
snow conditions
lisach wrote:
but even the highest resorts are lousy at present

While conditions in Les Arcs are by no means good, most of the domain is open so there's plenty of skiing to be had. The weather has been wonderful over the last week, there's a lovely Christmassy atmosphere here and from what I can see people are generally having a good time. That's not what I would call lousy Smile
snow conditions
easiski, rob@rar, Yes , I just got back from Val Despair and have to agree. There is no doubt that the resort has seen much better conditions based upon what I have been told but much/most of the esort is open and the 'glacier' skiing is brilliant. We were there from the 16th and it was only the last 2 days where things became a tad difficult with some 'icy' stuff around. 'Powderhounds' would be very disappointed but then again , noone can guarantee everything.

Only problem being 'The Brits' on the slopes - we really do have a few 'idiots' amongst us - if the young lady (with a group in fancy dress ) wearing a red 'H' on a white t-shirt , who was straightlining 'Collet' and manged to nearly take out one of the only two other people on the piste (me) posts here then I suggest she goes elsewhere. She is lucky that neither of us are hospitalised or worse. The fact that it took her nearly 2-300 metres to stop (before skiing off with her mates) is a testament to her speed ( and real skill level). I assume 'female' due to the piercing scream as she hit my pole and went over my ski. My SO saw it happen - she has now stopped shaking.

I also have to say that the 'snow management' in Val D'Isere was absolutely stunning ---.

There is something very special about skiing under clear sunny skies with the need for suncream (wimps!) in December .

Anyways I hope to go up to Isola this afternoon where they are claiming loads of lovely 'douce' snow !!
snow report
There is no denying that, on balance, conditions across the Alps are currently below-average.

The Alps are like a puddle drying up in the sun.

Some places have lots of snow, while others have almost none. Zermatt has 30 of 30 lifts open... St Wolfgang has just 1 from 8 running. On artificial.

Pick your resort carefully, and plenty of runs are open. Make a poor choice, and you'd best take some Daz, to wash out the mudstains.

Things should improve slightly in the next 14 days. It looks like modest snow in most places above roughly 1500m.
latest report
I just did a quick random scan of major resorts across 7 countries in Western Europe (e.g. France, Austria etc.).

By my reckoning, 75% of all the lifts in the Alps and the Pyrenees are currently operating over the Chrimby period.

That is a surprisingly high ratio, considering the low snowdepths.
snow conditions
easiski, rob@rar, granted your above comments that the higher resorts are not 'lousy' I was perhaps using too strong a word, however surely unless there is a few decent falls soon they will be. While many keep trying to put a brave face on it there is a desperate need for snow at all levels.
snow report
Quote:

While many keep trying to put a brave face on it there is a desperate need for snow at all levels.

There's scarcely ever been a year when more snow was not badly needed at this stage of the year (it's still December, which is pre-season really). But at high altitudes cover seems quite reasonable compared to many years (off piste was dire in the Espace Killy till well into January last year) and the precipitation forecast for early next week will fall as snow above 2200m - all the pundits agree on that and there are hopeful signs that lower altitudes will also receive a share, though the rain which seems likely to precede it will not do the thin covering of mostly artificial snow any good at all. At least I probably won't need my snow chains to drive up early Sunday morning. At low altitudes it is, indeed, a miserable start to the season in many places, but there are good reports coming back from the higher stations. Trouble is, they are likely to get crowds bussing in over New Year. It sounds as though we shall have to wait till second half of January to get the winter really going. The fact remains that Christmas/New Year is a daft time to go skiing and it's a shame that they can't organise school holidays in, say, the last week of January. wink Easter hols are usually a far better bet, more snow, fewer people, more sun, lifts open a lot longer.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

While many keep trying to put a brave face on it there is a desperate need for snow at all levels.

There's scarcely ever been a year when more snow was not badly needed at this stage of the year (it's still December, which is pre-season really). But at high altitudes cover seems quite reasonable compared to many years (off piste was dire in the Espace Killy till well into January last year) and the precipitation forecast for early next week will fall as snow above 2200m - all the pundits agree on that and there are hopeful signs that lower altitudes will also receive a share, though the rain which seems likely to precede it will not do the thin covering of mostly artificial snow any good at all. At least I probably won't need my snow chains to drive up early Sunday morning. At low altitudes it is, indeed, a miserable start to the season in many places, but there are good reports coming back from the higher stations. Trouble is, they are likely to get crowds bussing in over New Year. It sounds as though we shall have to wait till second half of January to get the winter really going. The fact remains that Christmas/New Year is a daft time to go skiing and it's a shame that they can't organise school holidays in, say, the last week of January. wink Easter hols are usually a far better bet, more snow, fewer people, more sun, lifts open a lot longer.

Yes agreed, half term and the whole of Feb is a nightmare for a number of reasons (taking kids out of school, French holiday's, rip off costs, busy roads etc). We were hoping to get an early trip in to avoid that. I would be more than happy waiting until Easter but knowing my luck it will have been such a rubbish year all the snow will be melting away. That said the forecast is looking better and I am making tentative plans for the end of the Jan.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy