Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SLR Camera and skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
During 2006 I aquired a Canon 10d, I was just wondering if its safe to take it on the slopes. I.e. water damage - does condensation build up inside the case?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nick-o, I use my Contax regulaly. It sits in a CCS case, in my rucksack. Never had a problem..... snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I carry mine in a zoom case inside my rucksack. I haven't fallen on it, and I haven't had any trouble with it during photographing stuff, usually with the camera out for 15/20 mintues at a time. It was fine in a rather cold (-15C) Sunshine Village last season.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick-o, i take my camera out alot, it would be worthwhile investing in a decent camera bag, dakine have released a bag, i think its called the sequence, its designed for skiiers and boarders and can hold a camera and a set of lenses and other stuff, its a nice looking bag.

as for water damage, as long as you dont put it in the snow, or take it out on really snowy days it should be fine, and always take a lens cloth just incase!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So long as you don't take it out in really cold tems (sub -20C) and you keep snow off the lens you will be fine, don't use a lens cloth to wipe off snow from the front of your lens though as it will cause scratches, use a blower brush instead or a soft lens brush.

If you just want to carry the camera and say 1 spare lens the CCS pouches are really excellent some even come with a snow protection system, it's worth putting in a small bag of silica gel to ensure that the cameras stay moisture free when you take them indoors into the warmth
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, sorry you are right about the lens cloth, only use them when its dry.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lower Alpine make a specific camera bag, which is more like a small ruck sack, this is padded and moisture tight. If yours is a didgital, you can also get memory cards that perform better in cold conditions, although the battery will probably give in before the card! I've taken mine on all 3 of my trips, and have never had a problem with falling on it, just remember to take your ruck sack off whn you get on the chair lifts! Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My Bro has a Dakine rucksack which is specially built to hold an SLR + peripherals. Might be worth a look
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You're biggst headache might be the battery - often fail if very cold. if you've a spare you can keep it in a "warmer" spot for emergencies!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've used an SLR for more years than I care to remember, one of the best pieces of advice I had was to let the camera aclimate before taking any shots, say 20 minutes or so after bringing it out from a warm warm room or conversely into one! (the latter is probably more likely for a steam-up). Given the problem with contrast in the snow I would probably take a polarising filter and probably a skylight filter and lens-hood, also if you are after skiers in action rather than landscapes I would also pack some fast film ISO/ASA 400+, don't forget black and white can also look quite stunning. Also, if you have a semi-auto I would be inclined to set up the exposure against an appropriately dark subject rather than rely on the camera to work out the correct exposure of a darker object against a huge mass of white snow or check the suggested automatic setting and reset the manual to a 'stop' or so less. Sorry if you're already familiar with all this, but the above might be handy if its your first time - or for anyone else that might read this thread in the future.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy