Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow safety

Poster: A snowHead
If I'm only going to ski on piste, on prepared slopes (in Switzerland) is there any need to worry about avalanche safety, i.e. recco reflectors etc.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 21-12-06 23:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, no. Fatal on-piste avalanches are extremely rare. Do be aware that on piste means between the poles and nowhere else though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum,
Although there is a theoretical risk of avalanche onto pistes all resorts will do everything to minimise this risk such as blasting slopes above prepared runs or closing runs at risk so in pratice the risk is negligible but not zero.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer,
Cant remember if they still do but in Switzerland poles used to be down the middle of the piste not on the edges.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm sure I've never strayed off piste, but I can't admit to awareness of 'poles' I guess that's a bit naughty Embarassed . It sounds a bit like the coast guard patrolled areas of a beach where its safe to swim between two flages. Are these poles a standard colour etc. if I make a point of looking for them.

Oh, yes and the other minor issue is that if I was to use a drag lift to go up a slope I hadn't tried before (even another blue one) and when I got to the top I decided that it looked too steep for me do I have any options bar an uncomfortable walk down in ski boots?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Either learn how to sideslip or how to dodge the missiles from those who see you putting big foot holes in their piste Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sideslip - I stand with the ski's next to each other, but facing across the slope and then adjust the pressure on them so I move down the hill? Maybe this is something I can practice on the slope I can already ski next year. I must admit its a scenario I dread occuring.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sideslipping will get you down just about anything on piste, unless it's covered in deep heavy new snow, but then you'ld be struggling to move anyway Laughing I can't believe you've not been taught this?

Not adjust the pressure - adjust the edging. It's a subtle knee/ankle movement.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 24-12-06 13:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think I've formally been taught it, but I do recall finding a method of getting past the steeper bit of the hill when I came off the top of the drag lift for the second time (crashed and burned the 1st) and I think I must have done something like this. It wasn't the most natural of sensations. The problem the 1st time was that I could ski across the steeper slope, but couldn't convince myself that I could do the turn, I was scared I would get to the part of the turn where the ski's were facing down the mountain and then be going so fast that I couldn't complete the turn and would end up rocketting down the hill (like my 6 year old daughter did!! but she came out of it laughing!). Was that a lack of technique or confidence? Hence I somehow found a method of shimmying down that bit, probably using a bit of side slip of some description.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Assuming that you can put your skis into a wide snowplough and can get to that position from a traverse by "stemming" out your uphill ski, then it sounds like lack of confidence, the classic "fear of the fall line". That is the point at which unconfident skiers will drop back on their heels, lose their plough and hurtle off down the hill as you describe. Learning to sideslip will not help you overcome that but it will give you an option to get down without turning into the fall line. Do you expect sliding down a mountain with long planks on your feet to feel natural? Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, don't know what you're threshold is for steepness, but there comes a point where taking your skis off is a really BAD idea. sideslipping is the way
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum wrote:
If I'm only going to ski on piste, on prepared slopes (in Switzerland) is there any need to worry about avalanche safety, i.e. recco reflectors etc.

no, if in doubt speak to the local ski school or toursim about your concerns !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Practicing sideslipping is also incredibly good for your technique - more advanced skiing is all about subtle edge control and sideslip practice really helps here. Even in extremely steep slopes sideslipping is a great way to keep moving/progressing and not freeze up Smile
Side-stepping also works to get down from places you're not comfortable skiing down - kind of like the exercise you probably did on your first day skiing when you walked up the hill side-stepping, just going the other way snowHead

Whatever you do, _DO NOT_ take your skis off and walk down!!! 1.5+ metres of sharp metal (x2) vs 30cm of smooth rounded plastic on a slipery slope Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As I'm confined to the house with the dreaded lurgi I thought I'd add a wee sideslipping video for megamum

https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/504/Slipslidingaway.wmv

as you can see it takes a teeny bit of practice wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When you have sideslipping perfected you can do some quite nasty tricks, the classic is coming to a stop from speed, typically you do a so called hockey stop wher you turn your skis across the slope and come to a sudden stop, usually in a cloud of snow, when you have mastered sideslipping you can let the skis glide sideways across the snow and stopping exactly where you want to.

(Not of course that I would ever have done this to other people making them think I was going to colide with them Laughing )

Seriously though Megamum, if you are not sure how to sideslip properly/safely get a private instructor for an hour to show you how, on a variety of slopes, it has to be one of the most useful techniques for a skier to have in his or her repetoir
latest report
Ah D G Orf, I see you recognised the location - Wengen of course Toofy Grin
snow report
Yoda, Ali had more hair in those days! Very Happy
snow report
easiski, didn't we all rolling eyes (well maybe not you Laughing )

I'll see if I can do a little one on stemming later on.....
ski holidays
Honored Yoda, I do hope you are feeling better soon - its rotten to be ill over the holidays. I did like the video of the sideslipping - he made it look so easy - I loved the flat snow he left behind - it must have been quite good snow to move like that. I suspect that the process is trickier if the surface is icier. It does look very useful though - I must try to learn how to do that - anyone know what 'sideslipping is in german!! They were doing it down what looked like a very steep slope, but I think most of his group were a darn sight more experienced than me. However, that's not to say I can't learn it though and it would be a way out of my "too steep to get down" problem.
snow report
Megamum, Sideslipping in german is "rutschen". Very Happy You see that Yoda, Ill he cannot be, old he is! wink wink
latest report
Megamum, they were supposed to have all started from scratch that week, I'm not sure how many days into the week they did that bit, but I think it's generally the case that peeps will follow an instructor down things that they might hesitate to do on their own. It also demonstrates how even not very accomplished sideslippers can get down a "steepish" slope of course wink
As for "icy", well that means different things to different folk. Hard pack "icy" snow would be no problem with reasonably sharp edges as long as you stay relaxed with loose legs. True ice is a different matter, but is not something that you are likely to encounter very often on the piste. Many a time you will hear people shouting "ice" but they are mistaken wink

Here's a pic of some real ice (it's actually a frozen stream)

pretty well impossible to do much on that without ice skates Laughing

Thanks for your thoughts, I have had the lurg for a week now, hope it goes by tomorrow rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 25-12-06 11:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Ive only really encountered pure ice on one occasion, and i had no control... i was turning in and i hit the ice patch and i just slipped and fell, aaah well nothing too bad happened! Also slide-slipping helps when youre in odd situations such as being on a very steep part, 60° or so, i usually just go and try and ski down it and fail.. but thats just me.
snow conditions
60 deg Shocked Not even my best malt hits that Laughing

A parachute would seem more appropriate.
ski holidays
Yoda, the section where Ali shows the technique is on the Wengen Nursery slopes, the last bit where the group are sliding down a fairly steep slope is I think somewhere on the Lauberhorn, it's difficult to tell exactly as he's got an odd viewpoint, wherever he is I'm fairly certain that the runs no steeper than a red, I suspect that the cameras point of view makes it look worse than it really is.

Fortunately sheets of ice are usually obvious appearing Blue or Grey in colour and looking like glass, they usually occur on flatter sections of piste where the sun can melt snow into pools of water during the day which then set solid at night Megamum, if you encounter such a patch and cannot avoid it do not try to turn or stop on it, only the very hardest of ski edges will let you do so and even then it's not certain, the best thing is to let your skis run over the ice and turn afterwards, also try to avoid falling on ice, it is far more likely to injure you than falling on even the hardest packed snow
snow report
BUT! Sometimes ice patches are covered with some snow from the snow that falls from up above... and ok.. i may have been exaggerating.. not 60°, more like 50°ish.
ski holidays
Timmaah, well even 50 deg is pretty darn steep Shocked Do you carry a slope protractor with you on these extreme descents to measure the angle? Or do you just do all your skiing in Alaska and the Himalaya?

You might find this link http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Technique/Toponeige-Rating of interest wink

(note the bit where it says 30 deg is around black piste grading)

Anyways, to get back to the earlier "notes for megamum" - here's another

https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/504/Traverse.wmv
ski holidays
An ice chute like that might be typical down Enver du plan or some such -which is where I've encountered it - and its a bum slide for 20 feet or so. Nothing else but a rope will get you out of that one. You may also have to cowboy over the glacial ice on Titlis for a short drop. Even with a snow covering you'll scape most of it off pretty quickly so at least you can see it to deal with it, but skiing? not as we know it, Scotty!!
snow conditions
Yoda wrote:
Timmaah, well even 50 deg is pretty darn steep Shocked Do you carry a slope protractor with you on these extreme descents to measure the angle? Or do you just do all your skiing in Alaska and the Himalaya?

You might find this link http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Technique/Toponeige-Rating of interest wink

(note the bit where it says 30 deg is around black piste grading)

Anyways, to get back to the earlier "notes for megamum" - here's another

https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/504/Traverse.wmv

Im doing this with my hand.. and figured 45° doesnt look so steep on my hand... i think im going to stick with 45° as ive been in pretty steep situations.. theyre fun though. No protractor Very Happy Just estimations so again, i could be very wrong.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy