Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which camp are you?

Poster: A snowHead
Some people are very protective of their skis, even going to the length of hiring skis, if the snow is deemed too poor for their own skis, and likely to damage them. Others, like me, see them as a tool to be used, and use them whatever, hoping that they can be fixed the next time that they're serviced.

Now don't get me wrong, I wince as much as the next man when I feel my bases scraping over rock, but I might as well use them. Admittedly I am spoilt, knowing that spyderjon is just down the road with a P-tex candle and his files poised ready for action!

Which camp are you?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use them the sooner I wear them out the sooner I can have a new pair Laughing . It there are rocks I will use my own skis unless its very rocky them i try not to ski at all. It is inevitable that you will occasionally hit a rock that's just part of skiing IMO
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Use then, definitley, hoping to wreck them, they are Saphirs after all.
Embarassed
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use my own. I am far too scared to take back a pair of wrecked hire skis and incur the wrath of an angry Frenchman in a hire shop Shocked .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Generally, I'm in the "use" camp. The worst damage my skis have suffered was in the hands of baggage handlers rather than on my feet, and that was repaired.

However, if there is just rocky piste skiing available, I'd be inclined to trash someone else's skis rather than my own... although I do have some rock skis now
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Use my own. They're just skis to be skied on not some precious thing to be protected. Don't get me wrong - I do love my skis but I'm not daft about them Toofy Grin

Saying that, they did take a bit of a hammering from the other week in Tignes, but nothing that can't be sorted.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Use abuse, cry, repair them. rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Use them, no point in buying something then not using it. Don't get me wrong I still cringe when I take a chunk out of them but s**t happens Razz
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm a user.
I'm on my first pair of skis and in addition to learning how to ski on them, I'm also learning how service them. Smile

It seems pointless to spend money on something and then not use it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ride em like you stole em...... i mean use my own
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I suppose I have a bit of a foot in each camp Puzzled
I try to take good care of them (or rather I get WTHF and Spyderjon to Laughing ) but they are to be used. I do try and avoid skiing over rocks though rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use my 'rock hoppers' early in the season e.g. Tignes last week, but will take the 'decent' skis from Jan onwards
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a tart - I have several, and I use them all. Use em, abuse em, sell em on...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another one for the use - that's what I bought them for. I like repairing them afterwards as well, the smell of hot P-tex and wax just gets the juices going!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer wrote:
..... Others, like me, see them as a tool to be used, and use them whatever, hoping that they can be fixed the next time that they're serviced....

Quite right. BTW I'd be pleased to offer you an account facility wink
ski holidays
Use them... Well, the rock hoppers anyway, I do have a new pair of Scott Missions that I'm currently NOT using and a pair of slalom skis that I'm also NOT using... But I'm happy to repair my B2s each night if required and right now the snow and rock cover does seem to require it...
snow report
I'm fortunate to have a pair of rock hoppers to use if it's bad, although I don't mind my slalom skis taking a bit of a beating. I am quite precious about my GS skis and my new Karmas deserve a bit of respect, at least initially.
latest report
Use them, that's what they were bought for.
But do have a pair of rock' ski's for Scotland day trips
snow conditions
Use and abuse. Skis are cheap really compared with flights/hotels/passes/food. On my 4th & 5th pairs, and each has cost less in real terms than the last.

Only hire if I need touring bindings.
ski holidays
Nevr skied in BAD conditions. Am wussy enough to avoid rocks.
snow report
I tend to use my own skis unless there is no hope of going offpiste in which case i hire skis.
snow conditions
I love the smell of ptex in the morning Wink
snow conditions
The smell of hot P-tex and wax makes me want to vomit. I guess there's no hope for me ..... rolling eyes
ski holidays
i just use whatever i can aquire from test pools around the country Toofy Grin Toofy Grin , mind you if i damage them at all i will always repair them, and even if no damage they are returned fully serviced Little Angel
ski holidays
I use any that I find lying around.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Nevr skied in BAD conditions. Am wussy enough to avoid rocks.

Laughing so many obvious jokes spring to mind wink
snow report
Depends on how new my skis are and how bad the conditions. Looking at the snow reports at the moment if I had new or newish skis and no others I would be renting for most places. Having said that I don't recall ever having rented to spare my skis I have usually had good conditions when my skis have been new. Maybe I should buy new skis more often snowHead
snow conditions
Use 'em 'n weep.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Used to be very careful and annoyed at every scratch and dent. Then when I got my Karmas (2005 - a bad season for snow in Whistler) I waited most of the season for enough snow to unveil them, then when I did hit pretty much every hidden rock in saphire, diamond and ruby bowl, swore as I hit every one of them much to the amusement of the EC coaches, followed by landing a drop right on a hidden pointy rock - amazingly they survived and after getting them fixed up stopped bothering.
Got some new Mantras to unveil this season - they don't look as tough as the Karmas so I'm not sure how long they'll last!! snowHead

Kramer you should have seen the skis Tom Pro's son was skiing on a few seasons back, they literally had holes in - think it was to show off how hard-core he was/is Cool
snow conditions
stuarth, funnily enough it was on ruby bowl where I took a gouge out of my bases, even with great snow cover. I think that it's part and parcel of skiing the ungroomed stuff, especially if you're picking your way through rocks and the like.
ski holidays
Quote:

ride em like you stole em...... i mean use my own

snowHead snowHead snowHead Use my rock hoppers when the going is rough and the relatively new ones.... what the heck all the time, its time I updated to a more contemporary shape
ski holidays
I use them as a tool.
I also dont bother to wrap them in the ski bag, I may put an old towel around the binding and thats it. They should be able to take minor airport knocks and if the staff try to push them through a 2ft square hole side on with with 3 ton of cases following them up a bit of bubble wrap is not going to help.
latest report
Kramer, I love my skis. If I ever hit bare patches or rocks I almost cry. Any damage to them, is damage to me. They are a physical extension of me and so I don't hurt them. I urge everyone to treat their skis with the same respect I treat mine! Luckily my Brother-in-Law leaves his skis here, so when conditions are bad, I use his. wink
snow conditions
I am of the opinion that everyone needs a good pair of rock skis. If you don't have rock skis in your quiver, then you ski questionable terrain once......voila'........Rock Skis!
latest report
There are two types of skis, skis that are rock skis..and skis that are soon to be rock skis. wink
snow report
SnowHot, that's the point of buying new ones before the old ones are poubelle material isn't it? then you have a "decent" pair of rock hoppers!! Very Happy Of course, AVOIDING ROCKS is always the best plan, and if you look at the pic of where Little tiger and I skied yesterday, you might be surprised to know that neither of us did any damage to our skis! Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm normally very protective of new skis for about..................................................2 hours, then take the attitude, P-tex is my friend.
snow report
I try to look after them i.e wax and tune edges often. Also use a hard case (sportube) to transport them as I wouldn't want them damaged while not actually using them! They get whatever beating I can dish out while actually skiing, but I will try to avoid obvious rocks poking out.
ski holidays
Use em, fix em. After getting sorted with the tune up kit (thanks spyderjon!) fixing them is all part of the fun. If they break beyond repair - time for a new pair Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy