Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon or Volke-you choose??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thought my wallet was set on a pair of Salomon Scream Hot/Ex Hots.Then a fellow s/head confused me.Raved about Volke 5 star's.So,a quick check of the reviews and,so did the reviewers."Hard to find a fault with Volke" was a common comment.So,what do you all think?
Looking for as near an all round ski as I can get.My level?Fast on reds/still cautious on black.Keen to move off piste when chance allows.I'm strong and ski hard.5'11" and 14 st(usually a bit lighter by winter 13st?)Like speed and powerfull runs(but still have to cruise it with the family).
I ask a lot of my skis when I have the chance.Have outgrown my current skis(Cobra T's @165)and can push them beyond their happy point!!
What do you think?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My call?
The Volkls or last season's K2 Axis XP, and take it up to around a 174 length, which will give you a bit of float in the pow, and give you an extra gear when you want to go faster.
I'm basing this both on reviews, and on watching friends them last year in Utah.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You know what I think! And my brief when shopping was exactly the same as yours.

Mine are 168's although I'm a tad under 5'9" so I suggest their 175's. They had a demo pair in EB's at Tamworth if you recall so I suggest you give them a spin. The 6 star's are quite a bit stiffer & you really have to work them & they're not much good for cruising with the kids.

Foxy's right about the XP's though. I tried them in France at the same time as the 5 stars & they were v.good - noticably better on piste than the Hot/ExHots I thought.

However, the 5 stars were noticably better when pushing it on piste than either the K2's or Sals - superb high speed carvers & very stable yet great for tootling around with Deb in the afternoon.

I didn't try any of them off piste but the store in Courchevel said that the Volkl's would be slighter weaker in this area than the other two. And as I do far more on piste than off I went for the Volkl's and after two weeks abroad with them I think they're great.

Incidently, I did a couple of the Warren Smith courses in MK in May & he was on 5 stars. After seeing what he could do on them I'll never have grounds for blaming my equipment again.

Happy shopping.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon
Off to Tamworth tomorrow to test out the Volkl 5 stars(go on,say I told u so Laughing )
Ellis Brig say they are little used and in top condition.We shall see.Will let you know how I get on.Thanks for pointing them out to me;whether they suit me or not.

PS-have searched and searched for a neg comment in reviews etc.Guess what,I cant find one!Might be OK then Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowskisnow,

I'm sure you won't be disappointed. They're particularly good on ice which you'll soon see for yourself at Tamworth!

Don't forget to haggle though. They wanted £350 for their ex-demos & I paid £300 plus a tenner postage to Soundski at the end of the season so they've got plenty of margin left.

Happy shopping.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowskisnow,

Did you get 'em?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon

Oh yes,and got them down to £310 Laughing Hardly a mark on them.Couple of light surface scratches on one;nothing on the other.Bindings as clean as new!!Quite happy to get £200 off for a scratch u can barely see Shocked

Was a bit surprised on first couple of runs.As they say in these parts "I was like a duck on a gate" Puzzled They felt very odd,all twitchy and veery(u know what I mean?)
Strange,thought I.Made me feel like a novice Wink Then I had,as they say,a moment of clarity.These are performance skis;time to crank it up Skullie
What a difference.I was glued to the snow(and ice)I pushed them as hard as I could(given that its only 170mtr to the bottom)The harder i went,the firmer they gripped.Felt absolutely rock solid Very Happy Cant wait to get them out on the mountain.

Thanks for making me aware of the Volkl's.They were not on my list of possibles and I would have missed out on a pair of excellent skis.RECCOMENDED.

Another demonstration of the power of snowHeads Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowskisnow,

Excellent, I'm glad your pleased with them. I can see '5 star owners section' of snowHeads on the horizon.

I must remember to swing by Tamworth to pick up my commission.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon
Excellent,excellent!! Yes,I'm pleased,but lets not get carried away Wink

Have you ever noticed that,as soon as you solve one problem,another rears its ugly head.I now have the wife complaining that,with MY new skis,I will leave her miles behind on the mountain Sad I sympathetically explained that I could do that on a tea tray!!Didn't have the desired effect Evil or Very Mad Heaven knows why rolling eyes
"Do they do a ladies version,in pink?" Please God,someone tell they dont Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowskisnow,

Volkl do a ladies version, called Gamma, for most of their ranges. Their just slightly softer than the standard model for the lighter frame of the fairer sex.

Deb's got the Volkl 320 Gamma and she's really pleased with them. Picked them up for £180 at the end of the season from Nevisport.

Go on, you know it makes sense.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon

I am cursed!! Switched on for a bit of solo snowHeading,saw your post and,whilst reading it,felt a sudden sharp pain in my wallet.Wife looking over shoulder,saw reply and suddenly were off Shocked "Jon looks after Deb" closely followed by"You dont care if I struggle on the mountain"(think the tea tray started that off) Confused Tried to pass it off as constructive criticism;didn't work Sad

Fact of life=you can calm a man down with a cheese sandwich;but a woman,thats a five course lunch,with wine,and chocs etc etc Wink

Have now promised to research options for her inc Volkl.Have to say(now she's gone)that a course in Anger Management Twisted Evil might be money well spent.

Will report back;assuming she does not bite off my typing finger Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowskisnow, Why doesn't she just buy them herself? Just give her one of your credit cards and she won't have to bother you with every little thing Little Angel
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maggi,

Trouble maker!

snowskisnow,

I forgot to ask, what length did you get?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi

She would have to pry it from my cold,dead fingers Skullie As I recall she made a suggestion along those very lines only the other night Shocked

spyderjon

175cm;and very nice they are too Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy