Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help! novice planning new year ski break with advanced skier-any tips?

Poster: A snowHead
After many years of my bloke skiing without me I have a child free new year and want to find somewhere where we can both enjoy the skiing- me a beginner, went when I was 14 (many years ago) took to it and loved it but not back since - him an advanced skier, want somewhere to suit both, me for lessons, him for the challenge, with a reasonable amount of poss social life in the evenings but skiing more important. Going for only a week at new year - any ideas ?

thanks for your help!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tracy, Welcome to snowHead

I went with my wife earlier this year - first time for the both of us - to Courchevel 1850. I understand that it offers some great challenging skiing (not that I am anywhere close to appreciating that yet) but I can tell you that as beginner I found it to be excellent. Wide range of easy slopes and great ski schools.

It is pricey, but I know now that there are ways to get around some of that, such as staying in 1550 rather than 1850 - most of the benefits for a whole load less money.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowheads tracy, snowHead

More helpful suggestion will be along shortly but I would think if you do lesson for half the day so he can free ski, I'm sure he would enjoy the rest of the day with yo. As for social life Austria always rings true. If you can manage April as well the ESOB will suit all levels with lots and lots of "social life" NehNeh
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tracy, One other tip while I think of it - we went to lessons at the MK Snow dome before our holiday. Helped to cover the basics so that we could already ski when we got out there. Made for a much better use of the week
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tracy, I got back on skis after a 25 year break. Like kosciosco, I had some lessons at in indoor slope (Leeds Xscape) before going away. It took me about an hour to get my ski legs back into a reasonable fascimile of a skier.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tracy,
If you read the snow report sections you will find that there is a bit of gloom surrounding curretn snow conditions and the prospect for more snow in the immediate future. If you can postpone your trip you should get better conditions. If you cannot you need to aim high.
Les deux alpes and La Plagne in France, Hintertux and Obertauern in Austria seem to have good conditions at the moment, but if you can I would await better snow. New Year is also just about the busiest week of the year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kosciosco,
thanks for the reply - I will try and fit a dry ski slope in - difficult with christmas, working full time and with my son- my intention is to go at new year when he is with his dad , see if I can hack it, and if I can to take him at Easter . thanks again for the advice!

tracy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tomsk,
thanks for the advice!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar,
thanks, I am limited by school holidays and held to ransom by that, but appreciate the advice re timing and also altitude! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tracy,
I guess it will depend on where you can find holidays and accommodation in all honesty with the current conditions if you can find the transport there will probably be a lot of accommodation available, Glaciers will be fine but if the weather is good expect them to be very busy indeed.

If it were me apart from the above I would consider Serre Chevalier, it seems to be reporting greater depths than most. It also has a very good snow cannon set up if the temperatures are cold enough. It has a couple of good ski schools Buisonniere at Villeneuve and Eureka at Monetier. Briancon (old part)is an attractive town in its own right and well worth visiting.
If you DIY it and have a car there are a few nearby places with beautiful x country skiing which needs much lower depths than alpine.

PS If you can afford it go to Western Canada/America instead they have much better snow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tracy,

1. First thing to do is make it absolutely clear that he must ski with you at all times.
2. Refuse point blank to go down anything that is worse than a green run. Remember point blank.
3. Insist on never doing more than 5 turn at a time.
4. Make it clear that you expect him to carry all your gear, at all times.
5. Ask him if he thinks you are improving every time you get on a chair lift.
6. Very important, shout at the lift attendant to get him to slow down the chair so you can get off easily. If they refuse to do this grab you b/f to ensure that if you fall he's going with you. If you do fall, shout at him like it's his fault and have a huff for the next couple of hours.

Bit of a tough one with current snow conditions. Try Cervinia ?? (Italian side of Matterhorn)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Les Deux Alpes is looking OK for snow as another option to those already mentioned.

It would be good to be in a smallish group with other English beginners, then you will have some company and you can all have a laugh at each others expense...

La Rosiere is always suggested as a good resort for beginners and there are some challenging slopes over the Italian border in the linked resort of La Thuile. I dont think the snow is particularly good there at the moment, but of course all things can change.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nickski, voice of experience speaking there?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier, . . . maybe. The best one was when she just never got off the lift at all. They had to stop it and rewind it, which I'd never seen them do before. I was very supportively pretending to be nothing to do it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Get him to learn how to snow board, then you will both be at the same level and share the aches and pains !!!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 21-12-06 19:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
rayscoops, I didn't realise acne was mandatory for snowboarders. Is that why they're always burying there heads in the snow ?
latest report
Nickski, have we been sharing a SO?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy