Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tipping ski instructors

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, this is my first time at posting a new topic, so be kind with your replies! Is there any etiquette on the level of tip to give your ski instructor, either for group lessons (thinking particularly of at the end of the week for my children) or for private lessons? Do other European nationalities tip ski instructors? last year I felt I had very little value from my ski instructor, (in a group lesson, but the group dwindled over the week down to only 3 of us - may be indicative of the effect he had on us...) but still felt obliged to tip. Over to you...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe it's my Scottish blood but in all my "formative" years skiing in Europe (mainly in France) it never even occurred to me that you would tip a ski instructor - after all, would you tip your driving instructor? It was only when a friend went to teach in the US and explained that he couldn't survive the season without tips that I realised such a practice existed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In the US, about $10/hour for a group lesson, $20/hour for a private if the lesson is on that really benefited you. I do not recommend tipping for poor service!

However, if you don't tip, most instructors in a group lesson aren't likely to really notice. Although they really will when you do tip!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What about private lessons.

What sort of percentage are we talking here?

In France this is..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I paid $20 for a group, but was the only one in the group - I tipped $12
I always overtip from whats expected
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So if I am paying around 100 euros each to 2x instrcutors for 3x 1 hour lessons, around 10 euros each will be ok?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As someone else said - never occured to me before to tip an instrcutor!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A friend of mine is an instructor - they really don't make alot of money, and really love getting tips so they can buy Guiness
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In europe it's not really normal to tip your instructor. Much more normal to buy them a bottle of wine or take them out to dinner (in private instruction). I always find it rather embarassing to get money tips, but that's not to say it's not welcome. On the whole I'd rather get a card with some money in it later than have money pressed into my hand - I always try to give it back.

You should NEVER tip, even in the USA, if you're not satisfied with the service! Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never occured to me to do more than buy an instructor a drink, and then only if I happen to bump into them in a bar. Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I dont recall ever tipping ski instructors in Europe. The one noable exception being the instructors at Prosneige in Val Thorens who really do go that extra mile particularly when teaching young children. We gave them each a bottle of wine. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tipping bootfitters is always aprieciated Toofy Grin Toofy Grin rather than the normal "what discount can i have as i am buying the cheapest boots in the shop" Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

group lesson, but the group dwindled over the week down to only 3

that happened to my husband, in a week of dire weather, in fact there were 2 of them from Thursay and only himself on the "free" Saturday lesson, in a blizzard, but the instructor was great and it was like getting private lessons for the price of a cheap off-season group. They did spend most of the Saturday in a bar though... There had only been 6 of them to start with, and the others dropped out from a combination of being not at all keen in the first place, not wanting to get wet and having put themselves in an intermediate group when they should have been in beginners.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

We gave them each a bottle of wine

I'm always dubious about giving French people wine because when we go for drinks with French people (and Belgians) they always give us much better quality wine than we generally buy - we buy around the 3 euro mark. We have given tips for good instructors in kids groups (you can gived it to the kid to pass it on, which is less embarassing) but generally just try to ensure we buy any drinks and snacks with adult instructors. That's France and Austria. Never been to the US

[/quote]
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've always tipped ski instructors, either as a group whip-round thank you, or individual 'have a drink on me' kind of thing. Level of tip? Canada for 3 days lesson I think I gave about $20, Europe about 20 Euros for a week. But only if it has been good service and really it should be up to you and whatever you feel it deserves. You shouldn't feel pressured to have to give a tip. Plus I would buy a drink or whatever if the occasion arose
snow conditions
Is this like 'Tipping Cows'?
snow conditions
For guides, if they have made it a special day from our perspective, which they nearly always are able to do, we would give them about 30-40eu from the group and buy them a beer. We would get them lunch if we stopped but they never eat too much anyway so we get them a coffee or something. I don't know how they go all day on next to nothing, food-wise but our skiing is probably a doddle to them.
latest report
easiski wrote:

You should NEVER tip, even in the USA, if you're not satisfied with the service! Shocked

the term "tip" is an american term is it not meaning "to improve performance". the logic being that you tip well to ensure that your service is high class going forward?

In Europe it is a "gratuity" following good service.

Bottle of wine it is then..
snow report
Have always been lucky enough to have good instructors, and have always tipped. Usually 20 Euros/Dollars at the end of the course. Just think it's good manners and from the previous thread, instructors don't make that much money, but make all the difference to your trip, so it seems only fair to say thanks.
snow conditions
tip is a gratuity here - its after the fact and always only if satisfied.
I don't think may last instructor was even old enough to drink! wink
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Is this like 'Tipping Cows'?

That sort of tipping is only done if you're really disappointed with the instructor. However it should be noted that if you've not learnt anything the instructor will be able to catch you should you try to escape on skis after tipping them.
snow report
Hi, I must confess as others have said that it didn't even occur to me to tip my private instructor in Switzerland this year. Maybe I'll grab a couple of decent bottles of wine on the boat this year for him.
snow report
easiski wrote:

On my first ever holiday in Canada (where I believe it is very similar to the USA with regards to 'tipping') a distant relative of mine told our family something. If the service/quality is poor, ALWAYS leave/give a tip/gratuity (whatever were talking of, waiteress or instructor) - if you don't leave one, they might just think 'ignorant Brit' or something similar, if you purposefully leave next to nothing, you're making the point - 'that's what I thought you were worth'.

Anyway, I bought my course conductor a pint, as they all happened to end up in the same bar we were in at the time.
snow report
In my view this has a lot to do with cultural differences. Brits are generally "uncomfortable" with the idea of tipping except perhaps for waiters and taxi drivers where it has become the norm, perhaps because they assume that people are generally being paid a fair wage for a fair day's work and "tipping" in cash terms might even be taken as an insult. Bottles of wine etc fair enough though, as it is a more personal gift of appreciation. In the "land of the free" however things are quite different it seems and many folk are not paid a decent basic wage, instead having to rely on tips. I have a friend who worked on cruise ships and she dreaded the "all Brit" cruises, because they didn't tip - not realising that the company paid about £30 a week expecting the rest to be made in tips. Americans understood this and were much more generous.
snow report
Yoda, that's what I understood too, and our pal in the states has told me that they dislike having Brit clients because they don't tip, or if they do, not as well as the yanks! Probably the very best tip is a nice thank you card with money in it, left for you at either the ski school or in your letter box. That saves all embarassment at the time. We really do like the money, but it's just embarassing to have someone pressing notes into your hand. At least with waiters you leave it on the table!

BTW I hate St Emillion!!!
ski holidays
easiski wrote:

We didn't did we? Embarassed No, a Swiss white wasn't it? I'll do you a trade if you want Twisted Evil
latest report
Quote:

I'll take it off you, easiski! at a hundred quid a bottle, decent st emilion (just the one 'l') makes some tip.
snow conditions
enaikay78, oi I had first dibs!! Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maybe it'll be a magnum! that's a bottle each...
This is now in danger of going off-topic, so I'll stop.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Hi, I must confess as others have said that it didn't even occur to me to tip my private instructor in Switzerland this year. Maybe I'll grab a couple of decent bottles of wine on the boat this year for him.

Seeing as tipping is not really expected in Switzerland (it's really a way of avoiding getting small change), you're probably okay (I'd have thought).Of course, as always, feel free to tip if you want to.

The best way to tip an instructor is to buy them a drink in the restaurant they always take you to for lunch, but tell them at the bar who it's for. That way you'll not have to pay for it. wink

(only kidding)
snow conditions
In Canada we always tip the instructor for the kids classes. Normally go for 50 - 75 Canadian per instructor per course of five days. Does not sound much in isolation but if there are 6 kids in a group then its not a bad pay day for them. When you have three kids of your own it soon adds up especially if they are there for two weeks. However, if feedback from the kids is not good then I would not tip.

In Whistler all of the instructors present you with their "discount" card where they get some form of % back on any goods you buy around the resort (not sure how it actually works) when yuo show the card. How much does Intrawest pay a ski instructor???

For an American coming to Scotland to play golf and taking a caddy to carry their golf bag on a four hour round they would be charged around £35 as the caddy fee and the caddy would then "expect" to receive anything from £10 - £20 as a tip on top. Work that out over six rounds of golf per week.
ski holidays
I have always had group lessons and someone always has a wip round at the end of the week. I also try and buy them a drink during the week as well.
ski holidays
eng_ch, enaikay78, Not sooo expensive here, but a good wine - not a good year I think. I gave it to a friend who likes that sort of thing (tasted like vinegar to me - yuch). I did really like to swiss wine and so did the friends I shared it with - thank youeng_ch, Very Happy ps: that was a present - not a tip - different entirely!
snow report
Speaking of tipping - I'd add in that it's worth while "tipping" bootfitters & ski techs - but in both cases, I tend to use alcohol.
Check with the shop if it's allowed, and if so, a 6 pack of beer is usually very well received (and if you're paying a few hundred quid for gear, then spending a fiver on beer isn't exactly much)
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, i quite agree, a nice little drinky is always apreiciated, remember the guys and gals that give you the ability to enjoy your kit on holiday Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
If you appreciate good service/instruction and are planning on buying a gift....find out what the recipient likes!!

I was repping for a group last year who bought myself and the instructors presents at the end of the week. It meant so much to me that they bought me a box of chocolates, as it showed that they'd gone to the trouble to find out that I don't drink. They'd also found out the instructors favourite tipple and bought them that.

It's always nice to be appreciated snowHead
snow report
I never used to tip, as I didn't realise I should be doing. Now I always do and it's always cash.

I also give beer to the ski shop guys and cakes to the girls who run the ski school office.
snow report
...oh, and another one - but this is not tipping per se...
Giving sweets to lifties can really make their day. They have a rather thankless job that must be pretty dull, so doing something to cheer them up goes down well.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
I did really like to swiss wine and so did the friends I shared it with - thank youeng_ch, Very Happy ps: that was a present - not a tip - different entirely!

This is true Smile Glad you enjoyed - the make some great wines - and keep them all to themselves Very Happy Which is why we tend to give them as tips/presents as it's not just run-of-the-mill thoughtless last minute stuff

We've got a great St Emillion at the mo - on offer at the Coop, case of 6 for about CHF 35 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
I got given a bottle of 2001 St Emilion Clos des Jacobins last night by the hotel reception staff Smile (in the de/ri wooden box)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy