Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jargon Bustin'..........

Poster: A snowHead
OK, so you all know that I'm not that experienced.

Skiing seems no different to any other sport/hobby/occupation in that it has its own set of jargon. Some times I can sort things out from the context of the post, but other times I think - what is that. So here is a thread that I'm going to top up with new jargon when I find it, and maybe you helpful folks can tell me what you are all talking about. Lets start off with three I've just read:

Side slip
Fall line
Rotation

Please other newbies feel free to add terms that puzzle you to.

Over to you experts........
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum,
Quote:

Side slip

Middle age spread
Quote:

Fall line

A magazine
Quote:

Rotation

The order in which you buy drinks

Think thats right anyway.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK, just one. The fall line is straight down the hill - the route a ball would take if the surface was smooth and it was subject only to gravity (ie didn't get stuck in big lumps of crud!).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, Vertical Side slipping is when you slide sideways down a hill rather than fo forwards and turn. Used in places where you're unable to make a turn for whtever reason. Diagonal sideslipping is going across and down the hill at the same time, used normally to lose height on the mountain. Rotation is generally used to mean that you are swinging or twisting something, perhaps your hips or you shoulders in a turn. This is undesirable since it forces weight onto the wrong ski. some (rather old fashioned) instructors still teach foot rotation as a way of turning the ski to beginners ... there are other types and reasons for rotation of different sorts, but that's the main use of the word in skiing. Very Happy BTW it's difficult to do a diagonal side slip on a plastic slope because there generally isn't enough space, and you don't go fast enough in traverse. (That means going across the slope in a straight line). Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski,

surely foot rotation is still an important skill? e.g.,

hockey stops
shortswings on cat tracks
fall line in bumps
jump turns in the steep and narrow

or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jedster, Megamum is a beginner! I also said "there are other types and reasons for rotation of different sorts," I absolutely 100~% disagree with teaching beginners to turn their feet to turn the ski. They only have to unlearn it later. Teach them to use the ski properly (they will skid a bit anyway), and teach foot rotation later as a separate skill. I don't like hockey stops except at a much higher level - promotes hip and shoulder rotation. shortswings don't necessarily involve rotation in the sense of twisting. Jump turns are in the air. I've just re-read my post and think it was quite clear what I was talking about.

The poor woman only asked what these terms generally mean. As she's a very near beginner I gave her a simple and straightforward answer without too much detail!!!! rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great.......this is just what I had in mind.

T Bar, Ha, flipping Ha......... ! I might have guessed there would be one! I found a different thread that I loaded up thinking it would help - it was something like the A-Z of skiing terms - fat chance......You'd have been at home there T Bar!! Laughing

Anyhow, easiski, pam w, cheers, more of the same please folks! (At least this 'poor woman' knows her place!! - No, No.....really I'm kidding easiski, I do truely appreciate the sentiment Very Happy )

OK, how about 'Bumps' - I'm guessing icy bits? and I love this technical one - 'Moguls'?

P.S. I love my tag line Snowheads snowHead - thanks!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum,
OK
I will be serious this time wink
Bumps and moguls are one and the came thing they are man made mounds of snow created by skiers turning in the same place and are found on steeper slopes when they have not been bashed.
Good skiers love them as they can show off their skills, us lesser mortals try and survive tham. How difficult they are to ski depends very much on the quality of the snow the size and spacing of the moguls and the steepness oft the slope. Yes they may be icy or they can be soft and fluffy depending on the snow and the recent weather and temperature.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum wrote:
OK, how about 'Bumps' - I'm guessing icy bits? and I love this technical one - 'Moguls'?

Bumps = moguls. Same name for the mounds/ridges of snow that develop when skiers repeatedly ski the same line. This results in piles of compacted snow (the bumps or moguls) separated by troughs. Fun to ski on when they are not too big and not too icy Little Angel , but can be very challenging if they are big, steep and icy Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh....not quite what I thought then......so, if I understand correctly.... good skiers ski over/through them, and the bump therefore makes the skiing more challenging?

T Bar, 'I will be serious this time' - Great, but don't think you have to make a habit of it - life's dull if we don't misbehave sometimes!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum wrote:
Oh....not quite what I thought then......so, if I understand correctly.... good skiers ski over/through them, and the bump therefore makes the skiing more challenging?

Mostly you ski around them, and yes they do make the skiing more challenging Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One thing I learned after 15 years.. faceplant still means faceplant and still hurts just as much!

Want some fun? Explain what crud is.. its just dug up powder here, but sounds a lot nastier over there!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Crud is churned up powder that has subsequently solidified to more or less extent. The more solid the more cruddy Toofy Grin

Well that's what I tink anyways.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yoda, Yes - but really top crud will have some of the tracks edged in solid ice and some will be soft but heavy and some will be breakable crust!!! Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Crud over here, is what you'd rather not be skiing. Chopped up powder is pretty nice as it means that there will be good virgin stuff to ski, you only have to search it out.
snow report
I struggle with the various terms for snow. How about 'mashed potatoes' and 'corn snow' anyone??
latest report
easiski,

yes I take your point but surely just about every skier coming to a stop at a chair lift uses some foot rotation even if its not a abrubt hockey stop? Sure it is possible to carve all the way up the hill until you stop but generally there would be too many people about for that and you end up a way from the lift queue. Surely even beginnners need to know how to bleed off speed by pivoting the skis further through the fall line?

It's more than academic interest - I'm taking my son skiing for the first time this season.

J
ski holidays
conor, I believe that "corn snow" is another term for spring snow (no need to explain that to you obviously Toofy Grin ). Not heard "mashed potatoes" before but it sounds suspiciously like crud.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 19-12-06 10:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
conor,
Corn snow = Spring snow =Neige transformee, Lovely stuff when preferably untouched snow undergoes a freeze thaw cycle and then at the right time of day (which will depend on the aspect and altitude of the slope as well as the degree of freeze overnight )softens ehough to become non icy but not breakable it can ski like velvet. It usually appears later in the season when the sun is higher in the sky. You have to be careful though as getting the timing wrong can result in skiing either ice or gloop.

Mashed potatoes Not really sure I have taken it to mean churned up snow with a high moisture content that is not really slush but I may be wrong.
snow report
Quote:

You have to be careful though as getting the timing wrong can result in skiing either ice or gloop.

Yes, and if you ski it when it's gloop make sure nobody can find you afterwards, as you will have trashed it for everybody on subsequent days Twisted Evil
ski holidays
jedster, A hockey stop is a particular technique - not a normal parallel stop. It involves moving the skis through 90deg very quickly and then edging very strongly. If you mean a parallel stop then that's an entirely different matter. there's more to skiing than either just going sideways or carving - there's an infinite number of stages in between. the point was that it's not necessary (or desirable) in my book to teach a beginner to physically turn the ski to go round a corner. that's a habit they later can't get out of. They won't "carve" because they don't have the tools, but you can use the ski to do the work fine without carving. We have skis designed to turn these days - why teach peeps to do what we did 20 years ago - I learnt on long unwieldy skis - why hark back to the bad old days. OK it's a bit of a hobby horse of mine, but there you are. we have been talking about a near beginner asking what "rotation" means - generally it means shoulders of hips being turned around the bend either with or before the feet. This is often a technique used by less experienced skiers to achieve a hockey stop, because they don't have the ability yet to move the feet without the rest of their body - that's not for beginners in general. Most people have very little body awareness! Shock Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
This is often a technique used by less experienced skiers to achieve a hockey stop, because they don't have the ability yet to move the feet without the rest of their body - that's not for beginners in general. Most people have very little body awareness! Shock Crying or Very sad

Glad you said that, Charlotte as I always thought the whole point of a hockey stop was precisely that you don't sling the rest of your body around - it has no effect whatsoever unless you get the upper/lower separation to create the resistance to stop. But then maybe that's always been obvious to me because I used to skate quite a lot (ice). Not that I ever had the guts to pull off a hockey stop on skates - ice is much harder to fall on than snow!
snow conditions
easiski,

I agree, makes sense to teach carving as the main turning technique these days.

I still feel that beginners will need to learn to use a bit of foot rotation pretty quickly in order to control speed, avoid obstacles (tighten a turn beyond which the beginner is capable of by carving alone), etc - as you say blend rotation and carving.

J
ski holidays
jedster, they use it but they don't a) mean to and b) realise they're doing it! That was the whole point about traversing though - learning to edge and to use pressure on the skis to go uphill or down hill - I try to do this on day 2/3/4 - then they don't ever have to physically turn a flat ski.

eng_ch, Well - you're right, but when you go out next weekend, see how many beginners do hockey stops with nasty violent hip rotation! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
It's an interesting comment that us beginers can sometimes find ourselves doing things without thinking about it. My instructor had me doing snowplough turns (I think using pressure on the outside edge ski - though I never get that right when I try to think about how I achieved it as you might remember Embarassed ), around my ski pole stuck in the snow. Without further instruction and after only a short time, I think I must have been getting more confident, my instructor suddenly told me that I was making turns on parallel skis. Somehow it had just come naturally. Spooky Shock
ski holidays
easiski, oo yes - Saturday morning it's Laax here we come Very Happy

Megamum, interesting you say that - one of the friends coming to us next week is a beginner, had a 2-hour prpivate lessons last season then spent 2 days on the nursery slope with us practising. He had real problems with a snowplough but was much happier when heading towards stem christies and parallel
latest report
Ooo...More Jargon....

'Stem Christies' Anyone?
snow conditions
Megamum, very very roughly it's when you start a turn in a plough and bring your new uphill ski to a parallel position as quickly as possible (I think). Basically its a transitional stage between snowplough turns and parallel turns, incorporating aspects of both. Apologies if I'm off the mark
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, A stem christie is a term used by the austrians and the swiss. the same half and half turn is called a basic swing in the UK and a virage de base (basic turn) in france. No idea about the states. If you had adequate pressure on the correct turning ski there is no reason not to do a parallel turn since the mechanics are no different. It's much more comfortable to be parallel, but you can pick up a lot more speed on snow than on plastic.
snow report
easiski wrote:
Megamum, A stem christie is a term used by the austrians and the swiss. the same half and half turn is called a basic swing in the UK and a virage de base (basic turn) in france. No idea about the states. If you had adequate pressure on the correct turning ski there is no reason not to do a parallel turn since the mechanics are no different. It's much more comfortable to be parallel, but you can pick up a lot more speed on snow than on plastic.

In the UK, using BASI, what was called a Basic Swing is now taught as a Plough Parallel at 3 different skill levels, Early with a late match of the skis, Mid with a match at or about the Fall Line, and Late with an early match before the Fall Line.
In Canada, using CSIA, the progression fron Plough to Parallel, is by using Plough Surpentine turns, which are linked short radius plough turns in the Fall Line, whilst narrowing the Plough progressively, until a parallel turn is achieved.
The "Situational Stem" is taught as an advanced technique to deal with difficult Terrian or Conditions.
ski holidays
Spyderman, And don't you think it all a load of twaddle? Nowadays peeps just arrive in parallel all on their own without having to "learn" a mid turn. BASI must be struggling if they have to rename a single turn as 3!! Shocked rolling eyes As students achieve more pressure ont he turning ski the inside ski becomes more parallel - no sweat... Actually at the moment I have a guy I'm teaching by parallel method, because he skates (in-line and ice), and can turn on the edges quite well, but for some strange reason does all sorts of odd gyrations when turning with a plough. Can be slightly alarming at times Shocked , so I'm putting him on mini-skis tomorrow (lent) and risking the glacier. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
I like the term Plough Parallel, it is easy to put across to a client that it is the learning phase between Plough and Parallel turns, rather than call it a Stem Christie which has no logical meaning or worse still a Basic Swing which puts ideas of some sort of wife swapping party. The idea of 3 phases in the Plough Parallel is more for a progression for the teacher's benefit. The Student will naturally match the skis earlier as experience and confidence increases.
snow conditions
Hi Folks, I've just been reading the threads about dressing in various layers. Could someone explain all these technical terms when it comes to jackets, i.e. soft shell, hard shell etc
snow report
Soft Shell - A bit like Wetsuit material, stretchy with a fine fleece on the inside.
Hard Shell - like you're standard Ski jacket but without insulation.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy