Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel Ski centre gets the go-ahead to go 'Real'

Poster: A snowHead
Hemel Ski Centre, just North of London, received planning permission on Thursday night to turn itself from a dry slope into an indoor snow centre. The plans had been knocked back in the past by the local council, primarily on the grounds that the aluminium hanger enclosing the slope would be an eyesore. This has been overcome by a plan to roof the new complex with grass!...
Adnams brewery nature roof
At around 7000 sqm, it will be by far the largest 'nature roof' in the UK. Far in excess of the ~2500sqm on the Adnams Brewery (pic) in Suffolk.
Well, it's not actually grass but a combination of litchens and mosses to allow the building to blend with its surroundings.
Not only will this make it visually more appealing but substantially aid insulation of the new building, improving its environmental credentials. The roof is also a highly effective rain-fall collector and the prospect of using this in relation to snowmaking is being explored.

Hemel Ski Centre is hoping to make an announcment in Feb '07 about when work will start on converting the 180m plastic slope. The project is expected to take 12-14months to complete, so the target is to have it ready for the winter of 08/09.

http://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=1932797&SectionID=841
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I live a few miles away so that's great Toofy Grin Interesting how the locals have kept this quiet and I learn the news from hungary Shocked Thanks Kerekip. I wounder if they will use the grass roof for anything, it will probably end up covered in sunbathing chavs in the summer Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Headplant wrote:
I live a few miles away so that's great Toofy Grin Interesting how the locals have kept this quiet and I learn the news from hungary Shocked Thanks Kerekip.

Living in a small world. Just like my friends in the US telling me which spa or wine cellar I should go in the neighbourhood Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is bad news for MK XScape. Some of its Home Counties customers will migrate to Hemel.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Then MK will have to up its service. It has pretty much a monopoly position at the mo with custom from the South.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry - am I reading google maps correctly - it's saying that it's only 33 miles away from MK Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Michelle, that would be about right.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman, can't they move it South of Heathrow rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Michelle, Terminal 5 would make a good snowdome - they should apply for change of use! Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman, Laughing but it would still mean hitting 'that' part of the M25 rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree completely cathy, I think this is the best news in ages for home skiing.

It's always seemed to me that dry slopes were far more natural candidates to become snowslopes than great big car parks like MK.

I've not generally been left with the impression that the Xscapes and particularly MK were too bothered about whether or not they had my custom (I guess it's understandable when there's no choice). The various Ellis Brigham stores at their base OTOH always seemed very helpfull and pleased to see me.

If Hemel makes a go of this, it may pave the way for other dry slopes to 'get real'. That could be really interesting.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kerekip wrote:
Work on converting the 180m plastic slope is expected to be started and completed in 2007.

I don't think they're expecting it to be completed till 2008. I understood they were planning on closing mid-summer 2007 and reopening Oct or Nov 2008.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cathy wrote:
Then MK will have to up its service. It has pretty much a monopoly position at the mo with custom from the South.

MK has perhaps two main weapons. A) Lengthen, or steepen, the slope(s). B) Lower its prices. Option A is probably unlikely, due to cost and planning restrictions. Choice B is possible, but it will impact their allegedly razorthin margins. Will be interesting to see how MK reacts.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think this is brilliant news, it will give MK the much needed kick up the back bottom that it needs. For too long it has been complacent knowing that it is the only snowslope in the South East and now finally it will have some competition. It might force it to improve the snow quality and make sure the Poma's don't keep breaking down all the time.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, went to MK the other Friday and the conditions were awful. You go because there is no option. Hope it does make it sit up and realise it has to improve the service.
Don't mind paying the prices if the snow conditions were better!
snow conditions
Being only an hour from my place, it becomes much more appealing...
snow conditions
I ski regularly at Hemel and, due to the ususal condition of the snow at MK, find the dry slope preferable.

As this seems to be the first UK dray slope being converted as opposed to a purpose built snow slope, it will be interesting to see how it turns out.
latest report
Georgio, there are surprise, surprise times, even extended periods, when it's bad, but generally the condition of the snow at MK is good.
latest report
slikedges wrote:
Georgio, there are surprise, surprise times, even extended periods, when it's bad, but generally the condition of the snow at MK is good.

I agree. I generally find the MK snow to be in good condition. It is their high'ish prices and short slope which smart the most.
snow conditions
newsItem updated
snow conditions
It would be nice if MK had a mogual run!
ski holidays
Hemel is just down the road from me! (well, it is when I'm at home in England...) yay! Very Happy
snow conditions
Lee, it does, about once a month. More of a rut line actually, but they create it for a moguls course they do which should but doesn't always run first week of each month.
snow report
Another article:
http://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=1938290&SectionID=841
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy