Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Snow report Winter 2006/7

Poster: A snowHead
Well guys here goes my first new topic;

'THE WEEK THAT WAS'
Lots of great skiing and glorious sunshine during the past 6 days. Uncrowded pistes(all the Spanish have gone home) and no queues reported anywhere.
The lift system has not been fully open but the links to Val D are open and the general condition of the pistes is pretty good.
The 'off piste' has been very good, though a little rocky in places, and the Snoworks instructors have been reporting fresh tracks all week(www.snoworks.co.uk). The majority of the classic 'off piste' runs are skiable.

'WHAT YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW'

Snow is forecast for Sunday/Monday with lower temperatures which will refresh the pistes. Blush
The snow cannons are running and providing a good, although slightly icy, base.
The STGM are reporting that further lifts will open over the weekend as the numbers in resort increase.

Good areas to ski are the Belvarde bowl, Col du Palet and the Glacier which still has the summer lifts running. The Palfour and Paquis lifts should open Sunday.

'THE FUTURE'

Look out for Santa who hopefully will arrive next week with lots of goodies.

Razz Razz Razz

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 17-12-06 9:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fantastic

Keep the reportsa comming

Myself and a couple of friends are in Val Claret from 3rd Feb. Cant wait. Cool
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
much appreciated Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stewart woodward, Thanks for that, sounds good! keep the info coming!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stunning morning in Tignes ( check out the web cams)

Slight covering of overnight snow in village with more forecsat for late afternoon and tonight.

The new 6 man Palafour lift and the Chaudanne lift opened yesterday which gave access to fresh pistes and untracked off piste areas.
The summer ski areas on the Glacier will be closed next week as other areas open up.

Good reports from happy skiers in the bars yesterday. Razz
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the report Stewart, good to see even a slight dusting Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounding good stewart! Webcams looking a lot better than when we arrived 2 weeks ago! snowHead

Which are the summer areas on the glacier that they close?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy wrote:

Which are the summer areas on the glacier that they close?

The lifts that close are 3500, Champagny & Rossolin. The cable car remains open so you can still ski the majority of the area.

Cathy; Still can't highlight quote. Need some more instruction, but you must have passed your speed typing exam to offer advice. Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stewart, I've fixed it for you wink You need code like this

Code:

[quote="The Author"]
I wrote this
[/quote]

Starting to look a bit more like a ski resort Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Slight covering of snow overnight and snowing lightly at the moment. Little Angel

Hopefully it will keep snowing all day.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stewart woodward wrote:
Cathy; Still can't highlight quote. Need some more instruction, but you must have passed your speed typing exam to offer advice. Puzzled

Yup - I've passed my SH 1 so am now fully qualified to lead newbies astray Twisted Evil

I'm sure Axsman will welcome the fresh snow today snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cathy, Huh? wazzat? oh, sorry had my head in a roller bag, just packing for TIGNES!!!! snowHead Bring on that white stuff Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BTW they haven't updated the webcams since last Friday - shocking! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AxsMan

Don't need the web cams.The glacier is superb, with good offpiste if you are carefull, and the other runs are better than this time last year.

STAR SPOTTING TODAY; SIR STEVE REDGRAVE & FAMILY Hope he's not in the gym tonight or else i will just go to the bar!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stewart woodward wrote:
STAR SPOTTING TODAY; SIR STEVE REDGRAVE & FAMILY Hope he's not in the gym tonight or else i will just go to the bar!!

I bet you can't get him to sing and dance on the slopes. wink
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
.......hope he's not in the gym tonight or else i will just go to the bar!!

Yeah really tough decision there for you Stewart! wink
snow conditions
Any chance of some photographs stewart woodward,
snow report
Report from last week here
latest report
Renry wrote:

I'm not sure Sir Steve would like that Toofy Grin
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
Renry wrote:

I'm not sure Sir Steve would like that Toofy Grin

lol not of Sir Steve but of the current conditions etc of Tignes
snow report
Snow conditions report for Tignes today - 'kin great! snowHead

Been up the hill all day, skied down to la Daille to catch a bit of the race then rode over to Val and cruised the pistes between there and here. Pistes are mostly in very good or even excellent condition and plenty of them are open. No trouble at all skiing between the two areas.

Weather is crisp but sunny, sat outside at lunch and even tanned a little!

Best of all, everyone must have taken the doom merchants seriously because the pistes are virtually EMPTY!, haven't queued, for even two minutes at any lift all day. Bliss. Pix to follow (will start new thread, so as not to derail Stewarts) Little Angel

Looking like a great (white!) Christmas this year! Laughing
latest report
Went to the Alpaka last night to meet stewart woodward, and learned that he's in Germany at the moment taking his Eurotest! Just wishing him good luck with it, and in his absence I'll try to update this report daily.

Haven't been out yet this morning but from the window conditions look dry, bright and cold. Snow cannons are running. snowHead
ski holidays
AxsMan, ha ha - there goes his trying to keep it quiet until he gets it Twisted Evil

He should have known better Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I am soiling my pants with excitement of the conditions for Jan 6th onwards! Shocked

And the snow cannon news can only be good. Who cares if not all the runs are open? Sounds like there is still plenty to do.

Axsman, have you noticed any changes in the lift arrangements as posted in an earlier "pre-season" thread?
ski holidays
AxsMan, Great to get your reports and hear you are having such a good time and, most importantly, the pistes are in good / excellent condition!!!

After much faffing, we've finally booked for Tignes to go on 31 December - so will be watching out for your reports over the next few days - sounding pretty good though ~ leave a bit for us! snowHead snowHead

Have a great Christmas out there! Very Happy
snow report
Hello people of Tignes....

Just found this weather forecast for Tignes.....

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoplus/twoforecasts/forski.aspx

Looks very promising for the new year period....(I'm out there from the 28th)...let's hpoe they've got it right.... snowHead

Anyone know if any other forecasts agree with this one?
snow conditions
Just got back from val d'isere yesterday - no fog problems in Manchester thankfully.

Had a remarkably good week with a reasonable amount of off piste skiing, particularly on the Fornet and Tignes glaciers. Genepy was outstanding by the end of the week and a far favourable alternative to double M, belowthe Glacier. Even saw Chemmy Alcock ski to 7th place in the Ladies downhill.

Most sectors are now open except Breviere, Laisant and Le Face. The small amount of snow that has fallen has fallen without wind giving a general cover and now a solid base for the season. In contrast the high slopes last year were wind scoured.

The weather was superb all week, mild with no wind and perfect visibility most days. By Wednesday it was getting cold again and some runs were getting scraped but they were making lots of snow. The best skiing is however away from the artificial runs which tend to get scraped by lunchtime.

Mid week we had about 4cms of fresh. Hit plenty of rocks, so don't take your new skis, especially if you venture off piste. The perfect overhead conditions were worth at least 6 inches of snow in my book.

I'm surpirsed any work was done in the UK last week judging by the numbers of Brits in VDI Smile
snow report
Back from the slopes again, and another day of clear skies, cold air, few folks and fewer queues. The pistes are holding up well despite the lack of snowfall and the cannons are running every night and most of the morning to freshen up the lower stretches. Off piste looks increasingly dodgy (what I can see of it from the lifts) with quite a few rocks showing though, but I was told by someone yesterday that some of the less easily accessible stuff is still pretty good. Everyone I have spoken to here (including a family that have a apartment at Chamonix but drove over because there's no snow there) reckons Espace Killy has got the best of it this week. Have posted a couple more pix on the pix thread. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had three hour lesson with Alan Hole (website http://www.ski-instruction-tignes.co.uk/). He's a true diamond geezer, and did both of us the world of good. Piste conditions are deteriorating a bit with more stones showing through on the lower pistes, and the wind is stripping some of the higher pistes leaving hardpack. Made for a challenging training session but all the better for it. Cannons still running and no pistes have had to close. They've been having a few 'teething troubles' with the new Palafor lift which has been a bit stop start today. Weather wise it's still clear skies and sunny, but the wind has a bite.
snow report
Arrived back from my tour round european ski resorts late last nite.Just in time for last orders in Brassero!!
Unfourtunatly did not manage to pass speed test. Missed by 0.78 & 0.43 secs in Alpe D'Huez & 1.40secs & crash in Garmisch.

Info :Total milage 1135 miles, 4 countries, 4 packets wine gums, endless cups of coffee/chocolate,1 pair of race skis knackered(5weeks old,another 750 euros)
Cost somewhere near 1000 euros
Snow Alpe D'Huez not much
Garmisch glacier only accessed by very scary cable car. Did they fim 'Where Eagles Dare' in Garmisch?

What next: More training!!

See all you snowheads in the Alpaka tonight Little Angel
ski holidays
AxsMan, We had lessons with Alan last Xmas, top instructor and a really nice bloke too.
ski holidays
stewart woodward, oooh tough luck! So close! Sad Not bad for an old 'un though Toofy Grin But if you must wear a jacket with a fur-trimmed hood...... Toofy Grin

Sounds an expensive business. When will you be able to take it again?
ski holidays
stewart woodward, Hard luck it still seems harsh to me (and yes I have read all the arguments on both sides) that less than a second on a timed run can make so much difference Evil or Very Mad Does anyone really believe that going 1 second faster would make you a better instructor? Anyway, good luck with the retry, and we might well be in The Alpaka tonight.

Oh, Tignes Snow report for today:

Conditions are worsening on the more exposed upper pistes as the wind continues to strip the loose snow off leaving hardpack behind. Still skiable but not great. Most of the runs over at Val closed today because of wind but the Tignes side stayed open and the pistes with cannons were in pretty good shape. Best run of the day for us was the red off the top of Chaudannes, strangely called 'bleuets'. It was in good condition with a good covering of soft stuff (bit of hardpack at the top) and almost no-one on it. The runs are definitely getting busier as folks arrive for Christmas.

Now Stewart's back I'll let him take over the snow reports, have posted a couple more pix on the pix thread. snowHead
snow report
AxsMan wrote:
stewart woodward, Hard luck it still seems harsh to me (and yes I have read all the arguments on both sides) that less than a second on a timed run can make so much difference Evil or Very Mad Does anyone really believe that going 1 second faster would make you a better instructor? Anyway, good luck with the retry, and we might well be in The Alpaka tonight.

I agree - although I know an exam is an exam, and you either pass an exam or you don't.

At the risk of making Stewart blush Twisted Evil our Snoworks group thought he was a very good instructor. High energy, very motivational, really pushed us to our limits out of our comfort zones and gave VERY personal feedback Embarassed but made the lessons a lot of fun as well. I think 2 of the group are going back to Tignes later in the year specifically to have further tuition with him. I think its fair to say he's not a youngster in his 20s, so to miss out on the speed test by less than half a second must be extremely galling. Good luck Stewart with your next attempt!

AxsMan, how much longer are you out in Tignes for?
snow report
cathy

Many thanks for your good wishes. I have a couple of weeks teaching then its back to training for the next attempt at the end of January.

What does training involve?

Morning - Free ski/gates training.Every day regardless of weather conditions. Normally finish around 2.00pm
Afternoon - Fitness training(Gym,co-ordination,etc) Sleep
Evening - Service skis, video feedback,mental preparation. Sleep

I have never been overweight, or consumed lots of drink,but when i decided to do the Eurotest i gave myself a very severe fitness programme and cut out drink all together for 6 months. I am now fitter than since my 20's. (I will tell you how old i am when i pass)

Hope i have some good clients this week so we can do 'Carving' and ski fast around the mountain rather than 'Snowploughs' on the nursery slopes.

Will update the snow report later today
ski holidays
cathy, we fly back on boxing day (assuming Luton Airport is fog free snowHead )

stewart woodward, Good Luck for January!
ski holidays
stewart woodward, John Nelson passed his eurotest at 46, and I know a french guy who got his capacitee (slalom) at over 40. good luck with the training. You can do it! Very Happy
snow report
STAR SPOTTING : Went out last night for a tour of local bars and spotted the following stars;

AxsMan Consuming a bottle of the local bubbly in the Aplaka Hotel whilst staring into the eyes of a very pretty lady! (i think it was his wife)

Spyderjohn Holding court in Neilson's Alaska chalet. Giving a ski service clinic and telling everybody whilst good edges were imperative on the hard packed snow. I think he was trying to raise a few pounds towards his late seson trips!!

SANTA Lots & lots of Santa's about town giving away free sweets to the kids & stronger drink to the adults.

Lots more entertainment today with the ESF doing a torchlit decent, of the very icy Trolles, and Tignes Developments providing hot chocolate & chartreusse to give everbody some CHRISTMAS CHEER.

HAPPY XMAS EVERYONE AND GOOD SNOW IN THE NEW YEAR Blush Little Angel Laughing NehNeh
latest report
stewart woodward, Yes (fortunately) it was Mrs Axs providing the glamour Laughing One small correction though, it wasn't bubbly, just the Alpaka's house rose, which was delicious and at 10 euros a bottle, too good to say no (so we had two bottles! Madeye-Smiley )

Feeling a little under par this morning , so having a very laid back (read - horizontal) Christmas day.

Joining you in wishing for good snow in the New Year, pistes are getting a bit worn today, and the temperature seems to have gone up a few degrees, which is not the best of news Sad

Ah well, at least the beers still cold snowHead
ski holidays
Had a tour of Tignes/Val D pistes yesterday with guests & friends.
Whilst it's true to say there are some worn areas, and you have to be carefull where a few rocks are showing through, generally the pistes are in a good condition.

I skied Palafour,Tommusses & Trolles in the morning and great piste skiing was to be had. The Trolles was in a suprisingly good condition even though a little firm. Puzzled

After lunch we ventured up the glacier for what can only be described as great skiing. The summer lifts 3500 & Rossolin are still open and the pistes are awesome and very quiet. We skied the 'World Cup' bumps,on 3500, a few times and the offpiste down to the bottom of the Lesisse.
All in excellent condition Blush

With no snow forecast for the next few days the snow cannons are working 24/7 to keep everything refreshed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy