Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Metron 9 puls - too advanced? if not what size

Poster: A snowHead
My local friendly ski shop is trying to sell me a pair of Atomic Metron 9 puls. They are this years model and are on sale at £249 including bindings.

I am male, 180cm tall, 75-80Kg and would class myself as an intermediate skier (honest)

Having read some reviews about Metron 9s, they would appear to be too advanced for me although I could grow into them (?) and I only ever ski on-piste. These skis are seemingly 100% on-piste and 100% powder....so they could if I wanted to progress onto the powdery stuff

Having rented ski previously and only every skied on Salomons and Rossis, I'm a bit unsure about Atomics and unfortunately don't have an opportunity to try demo them.

I had been looking at buying (online as my local shops don't stock them) Rossi Zenith Z1s or Z3s; Salomon X-Wing 4s or 6s which seem more suited to by ability and have been reviewed as "comfortable and stable". The Metron B9s have been reviewed as being a bit "twitchy" and not as relaxing to ski on.

Regardless, if any of these skis are OK for me what size should go for? Opinion says that I should ski these shorther but not too short, so I'm stuck between a 164 and a 170 (I have been advised 164 for the Metrons).

Cheers

Rik

BTW: I'm looking to buy a set of skis this year as my 8 year son has taken up skiing lessons this year and has got the bug (level 4/5 - progressing onto parallel turns). Since I can drive to 3 of the Scottish "Resorts" in 1-2 hours, we are hoping to do a lot of skiing this year (hopefully) Madeye-Smiley .
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm a similar weight and height to you and have 164 M9's. They are supposed to be skied shorter than other skis, this would be the right length.

I bought them the season before last when I had just 3 weeks experience and loved them. Far better that the chalet rental skis I had been used to. I very much doubt they would be too advanced for you.

I can't comment on the off piste ability as I only really ski on piste.

I got them without demoing them and was happy but if you can find somewhere to try a few different skis out this is definitely a good idea.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rikochet, They'll be perfect in 164. £249 is a bargain.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rikochet, At that price, wouldn't think twice, take them you will enjoy them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This brings up the obvious question of who should actually consider buying the lower models? I'd say nobody really - why buy a ski which you'll grow out of in a week or two? Especially when most higher end skis are generally user friendly these days anyway.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
uktrailmonster wrote:
This brings up the obvious question of who should actually consider buying the lower models? I'd say nobody really - why buy a ski which you'll grow out of in a week or two? Especially when most higher end skis are generally user friendly these days anyway.

For me, 2 points are as follows: price and usage

I want a ski that is within my price range which I will be able to use for mostly recreational use. Being fairly new to the sport, but have come on very quickly at my age (39), I want something that will reflects my ability, will allow me to progress and at the end of the day be cost effective (and save me time hiring potentially poor skis). I'm not going to progress onto racing, slalom, parks or freestyle Razz

Metron 9s I think are classed as intermediate->advanced so I don't think I'll grow out of these with a couple of weeks (?)

BTW: Thanks for the replies so far

Cheers

Rik
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You might, if you progress quickly.

M9 review:

"a fairly low energy ski for skiers who are not aggressively honing skills or getting into the rough stuff. Frankly, this is our least favorite in this group, despite slightly better reviews than last year's version received"

M10 review:

"superb ski for improving all mountain skiers who want a "1-ski-quiver." Probably the best value in this group. Not for high energy or aggressive experts, who will certainly prefer the 5 or 11."
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting how reviews can be so subjective (as pointed out in other topics I've read on this forum).

Fall-Line Magazine Gear Review Guide for 2007 says for the M9 plus:

"Maintains a vigourous turn-in rate on hardpack and doesn't feel to twitchy. The big shovel pop it up in the crud and powder....However, you know we said 'isn't too twitch' don't all asleep or you'll find out what 'a little bit twitchy' means. They need a bit of work at all times to stay confortable. Verdit: Punchy and way mor fun than a dedicated slalom ski for most people, pretty versatile."

M10 review:

"...This is the mid-ranger so has a bit mor welly in the tail than the M9.....Can be twitchin a straight line.... Verdict: Best of the range in terms of the price/performance equation. More on-piste than off"

More importantly, if I buy some I'll need to see which M9 goes better with my outfit/boots, the blue or the red ones Very Happy

More likely, I'll opt for the Rossi Zenith Z1/Z3s
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rikochet, How heavy are you as rob@rar has a pair of hardly used Metron B5's for sale at £250?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hello,

I'm a 24-year old girl from the Netherlands, doubting about which ski to buy. Last winter I skied the Atomic SL9 (160cm), which was okay but sometimes a bit too unforgiving for me. I also tried the Metron 9 (164cm), which was way more stable, but very speedy (in a good way).

Right now I'm wondering what would be 'the best buy' for me: the Metron 9, maybe the female version (balanze metron), or even another brand (maybe Elan Magfire, but which number???, maybe other brands?). I'm also wondering what length I should be skiing?
I hoped you experts could help me in this big snowstorm in my head. Very Happy
My length is 177cm (I believe it's 5'10") and I weigh about 67 kilo's (which is 148 lbs). I'm a female Little Angel , I guess an intermediate skier (I ski blue and red runs controlled and pretty fast, black runs remain a challenge but fun), who likes to ski fast, prefers shorter turns over longer and likes to be in control, and wants to progress over the next few years.

Thanks for all considerations and advice!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Welcome to snowHead Ilse, I'm not much help for ski advice but I'm sure a few of the resident experts will be along soon.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ilse wrote:
Hello,

I'm a 24-year old girl from the Netherlands, doubting about which ski to buy.<snip>
My length is 177cm (I believe it's 5'10") and I weigh about 67 kilo's (which is 148 lbs). I'm a female Little Angel , I guess an intermediate skier (I ski blue and red runs controlled and pretty fast, black runs remain a challenge but fun), who likes to ski fast, prefers shorter turns over longer and likes to be in control, and wants to progress over the next few years.

Hello and welcome. I'm looking for someone to ski on my Crossmax V12s and would like someone of your height, weight, age and ability. Would you like to come on holiday with my family soon as my wife is too short and light for these skis snowHead
PS perhaps you could take it in turns with my wife looking after the children in the evenings, and I could show you the apres ski on your nights off.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I forgot to mention - I have the elan Magfire 10 in 168cm. We could share skis. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ilse,

I like my M:9s but 164 would be too long for you. They are designed to be skied shorter than other skis see the chart from this link.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/sizingchart.html?sizing_id=149

You should probably be looking at 157's

I can't comment on female specific skis but there are threads somewhere on here discussing the benefits / disadvantages of them.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for your reactions: I understand that my choice to buy a pair of M:9's wouldn't hurt me, and that 157cm is a better length for me. I wonder whether there are other options, because I'm drowning in all the brands, models, types, numbers etc. Someone who can shine a light? Very Happy

@ petemillis: interesting invitation, but I doubt whether your wife would like that Puzzled

@ abv: thanks for your thoughts, in the sizingchart I find it hard to be sure about what to fill in, but I prefer shorter turns, and when I fill in intermediate I get 1128, and at advanced I get 1158, so in the table 157 would be good indeed. What I am wondering is whether the ski will be more unstable at higher speeds because of the length?
ski holidays
petemillis wrote:
Ilse wrote:
Hello,

I'm a 24-year old girl from the Netherlands, doubting about which ski to buy.<snip>

Hello and welcome. I'm looking for someone to ski on my Crossmax V12s and would like someone of your height, weight, age and ability. Would you like to come on holiday with my family soon as my wife is too short and light for these skis snowHead
PS perhaps you could take it in turns with my wife looking after the children in the evenings, and I could show you the apres ski on your nights off.

I'll make it easy for you not to worry about Mrs Petemillis finding out about your Crossmaxs. show her this email and she won't be worrying at all about your ski purchase wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy