Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where is best Europe or USA for a family

Poster: A snowHead
i am looking to go ski-ing with my family i got to sierra nevada every year and last season also to Andorra, i have a 4 year old girl which wants to learn to ski, where is best Europe or USA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jase2472, personally I would go to a European resort, less travelling time and no jet lag, just make sure you have an English speaking instructor, friends were pleased with the tuition their son got in Andorra last year. Several French resorts have British-run ski schools too.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can of worms might have been a better thread title.

My kids, now 12 yo, started to learn in USA (Mammoth) at age 4, and we spent the following 6 (?) ski hols in Canada, mainly in Banff, and last year in Breckenridge. I would recommend N.America, especially Canada, to someone wishing to get their young kids skiing. The pros and cons of NA are (and these are inevitably generalisiations, not applicable to all NA or all Euro resorts):

Pros (in no particular order):
Very good tuition, in English, creches and combined creche/tuition. The ski schools, in my experience, do a great job with the nippers (and the adults) and in Banff at least are very flexible, so you can book a load of lessons and them pull out at short (24 hr) notice.
Better accomodation for your money.
More reliable snow.
Shorter (or non existent) and much, much, much better organised lift queues.
Quieter slopes.
More considerate fellow skiers.
Cheaper food on the mountain and in the towns.
Fewer drag lifts.
You can drive about in a 4x4 without looking a total prat.

Cons (in no particular order):
Less ski in ski out accom (but it exists).
The accom is often a drive from the slopes (the roads are quiet and good and parking is easy).
Less 'haute cuisine' on the slopes and to an extent in the towns (not as true as you might expect).
Less 'alpine' atmos (many NA resorts have their own atmos, Banff for example).
Long flight (we never found it a problem, but I guess some would).
Jet lag (not a big deal for us).
Expensive lift passes.
Not easy to ski to another village for lunch.

I'm sure that there are other pros and cons, but those are what come to mind.

Now that our kids are good skiers, we ski more in Europe, and throughly enjoy the benefits of doing so. For me, though, NA is on average a significantly better place for kids to learn to ski. We spent several of our NA hols with a couple of other families who, obviously, took the same view.

I expect someone wil be along in a minute to contradict everything I've said.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jase2472,

I suspect a huge amount comes down to personal preference rather than one being better than the other.

I have done both although much more Europe than North America which probably reflectes my personal preference.
For me getting back home not jet lagged is a major benefit after a holiday I don't notice it much on holiday.
I can also do Europe a lot cheaper than North America which helps. Ski school, transport and lift passes are all significantly cheaper.

With my kids when they were younger I tended to go to less fashionable resorts at Easter and there were never problems with queues, snow or crowds though in Europe they can be a problem in some resorts some of the year.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for that
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anywhere at all that has,

1. Slopeside accomodation,

2. Instructors what speek Inglish.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
2. Instructors what speek Inglish.

Rules out the USA then.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skanky, dude you are sick.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richmond wrote:
I expect someone wil be along in a minute to contradict everything I've said.

No, I quite agree! Junior certainly did a lot of his "learning" to ski in Canada, and the canadian instructors were universally patient and understanding and cooperative. Unlike in a certain French resort, where we were told after the first day: "He's good, but he can't stay in ski school." Basically they couldn't copy with a 3yo who was way beyond nursery slopes - yet in Canada, they quite happily take him down mogulled runs. Now he's a little bigger (but still only 5), the European ski schools seem a little less concerned with age and more with ability: although at Easter in Solden we were still a little surprised when he won the ski-school race Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oops, sorry. Canada isn't USA or Europe.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
T Bar wrote:
jase2472,

With my kids when they were younger I tended to go to less fashionable resorts at Easter and there were never problems with queues, snow or crowds though in Europe they can be a problem in some resorts some of the year.

Sorry to but in off topic. Whereabouts?

Looking fro a cheap second trip self catering probably with my two youngest at Easter..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It doesn't matter. If you take them skiing, anywhere, and they don't like it, put them up for adoption.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jase2472, is your question is a genuine request for information to help you and your family to decide where to go or a question to help your business planning (see the web travel agents thread)? I've no problem with the latter, but I like to know what I'm doing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i want tyo know for my family, its like i am a murderer not a travel agent Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
professorpool,
Serre Chevalier is the place I have usually been but also Haute Maurienne and friends have been regularly to La Thuile. Basically anywhere with reasonably high North facing skiing will do but resorts that are large and well known particularly with glaciers can get very busy and expensive.
ski holidays
marc gledhill, word! wink
latest report
Quote:

4 year old girl

& jet lag don't sound like a good combo to me... Sad
snow conditions
jase2472 wrote:
i want tyo know for my family, its like i am a murderer not a travel agent Sad

I guessed that you weren't a murderer, although I have no reason to believe that we don't accomodate murderers on this site. You are presumably wearing a hat saying 'travel agent'; if you were a murderer, you'd be wearing one saying 'murderer' (copyright M.Feldman). I was going to suggest that you might be both, but the size of hat you'd need would make you look ridiculous and no-one would buy any hols from you.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 15-12-06 11:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Martin Nicholas wrote:
Quote:

4 year old girl

& jet lag don't sound like a good combo to me... Sad

Jet lag was never a major problem for us, although I could live without it. For the first couple of days the kids and I get up ridiculously early, then for a few days we're up at a good time to have a leisurely brekkie and make ski school and for the last few days it's the usual dragging myself and everyone else out of bed to get there in time. The OL sleeps like a hog until woken under all circumstances.

On the way back, you just get up at the right time and in a couple of days you're over it.
ski holidays
You cannot generalise, but there are a few aspects not prevouusly listed.

North America has more and better snow in general. It is better early and late season than most of Europe.

The skiareas are bigger with higher vertical drop in the alps.

One of the most important things for me though when you let kids ski alone is that you find a resort that ensures that no matter which slope they choose, they will come down in one spot.

Very good resorts for that are - Copper Mountain (US), Steamboat Springs (US), Hemsedal (N), Hafjell (N) and loads of especially Swedish and Norwegian areas.
latest report
I guess like so much else jet lag is different for different folks richmond, 's description of jet lag in the resort would be much like mine it doesn't bother me hugely, though the first couple of evenings are a wash out.
Arriving back is far worse it can take me 10 days plus to get over it, children getting up at night tired at work, for me something worth avoiding.
snow report
jase2472 i started skiing at the same time as my kids age 4 & 7 in killington usa on the advise of a long time skier freind and his advise to me still stands today especially if you hve to go in school hols

1/ very good progessive kids ski school programs tailored to suit skiing parents
2/ reliable and consitent snow
3/ very safe enviorement (resorts and mountians are usually smaller and well contianed)
4/ self catering options are a much higher standard than most in europe
5/ door to door travel times very similar at half term times
6/ english speaking instructors (a must)
7/ food is simpler(if that is an issue)

out of personel experience i would recomend the east coast of usa or canada as the shorter flights make the small amount of jet lag managable
tremblant and smugglers notch are two of the best snowHead snowHead
snow report
For kids learning to ski:
1) Reasonably accessible skiing
2) Convenient nursery slopes that can be guaranteed to be open
3) Ski school classes of not more than 8 persons (less if poss)
4) Great kid orientated instructors

No point IMHO of going to an expensive/vast resort.

Oh and be prepared to get tough with the kids.
latest report
yeah keep it small and freindly
most north american resorts have top to bottom green runs you can ski with your kids after a couple of days in school
also helmet are compulsory for kid(good idea) dont know if this is trus in europe
ski holidays
NEILSKI, It is law in Italy but cant recall seeing any kids learning without one in France or Austria. Parents seem quite sensible these days. I may consider a 10 day holiday in the US but to be honest the kids couldnt have any more fun than they do.
snow report
That's the thing FTS, you really need to go for 10 days to justify the trip, and enjoy it. Our first time in Canada, we couldn't keep awake after 8pm for the first few days, and it was worse coming back as we had to go back to work. Friends who travel across regularly have a 10 day break, but always have another 3 days off work. I found that lift passes were very expensive too, but there are deals in Banff, (under 12's ski free etc).
ski holidays
imo the jet lag can be managed easily i have been to whistler/tremblant/killington all for only one week and what i do is go saturday to saturday,on a direct flight, then you usally get back early sunday am the straight to bed for the day and night then up and out to work monday am
apart from the first morning in resort when you will wake up ridiculously early(but i am always up and keen to get out on the first am) you do have to make an effort to stay up late(maybe have a drink or two hey)on the first couple of nights then everything should be ok after that
also worth considering is a one night stop over in some of the great citys that you fly from ie vancouver/montreal/boston etc
but i would say that the american rocky resorts that need one or two connections to get there would probably need 10 days to make it worth while

jase2472 i have sent a pm re seirra nevada let me know if you want any info on east coast north america snowHead
ski holidays
NEILSKI,
Not trying to knock Killington as I have never been but the list of attributed you give are pretty much all attainable readily in Europe.

1) Good ski schools, Yep
2) Reliable snow , My understanding is that the East Coast of America is less reliable and consistent than the alps I certianly have not had many problems.
3) Plenty of small child friendly resorts in the alps
4) Well the RSPCA have been pretty succesful in their attempts at stamping out cat swinging in France but I have had great appartments elsewhere and in a few places in France.
5) If you choose to use a tour operator to go to popular resorts high season the travek time can be long but I certainly generally do it a lot quicker than it would take me to get tot he States.
6) Never had a problem with language for the kids
7) Aaaagh! I would not poison my kids with the muck thrust upon them in some American places, it aint the obesity center of the world for nothing. The french do unfortunately seem to be following them with kids meals of chicken nuggets or burgers + Frites but you can usually get a more nutritous meal in Europe than USA
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar, it doesn't normally take much effort to eat well in N.America (in ski resorts at least); it's just that it is extremely easy to eat very badly!
ski holidays
jase2472, I'd recommend Puy St Vincent via snowbiz. We took our children there for first ski holiday. English nannies, instructors and easy transfer from Turin.
latest report
richmond,
I'm sure you are right but when my children ate with the ski school it was definately the low quality stuff only that was on offer ( Canada not USA to be fare but I think it was for the American market)

PS Agree with above PSV is a lovely little child freindly resort.
latest report
T Bar, good point. I should have added to my list of cons that the ski school food in Banff was poor.
snow conditions
T Bar, I found mountain food in general was poor across the pond apart from Sawyers Nook in Lake Louise which is one of my most memorable lunches.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, I think that's fair, and I agree that Sawyers Nook is good, although it's easy enough to find poor food in Europe (an appalling lunch in LDA springs to mind, but it was about 11 years ago). You can eat well on the mountain in N.America; Vail and Aspen have some good spots, and I'm sure that there are others. Lake Louise has a couple of OK places, but in general in N.America you eat to refuel (chilli, salads, burgers, pizza, pasta) rather than for great pleasure. Of course in Canada there's the health conscious gourmet's dream that is poutine; chips with a kind of cheesey gravy, which looks and smells unspeakable and tastes weird (but good).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 19-12-06 12:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
jase2472 wrote:
i am looking to go ski-ing with my family i got to sierra nevada every year and last season also to Andorra, i have a 4 year old girl which wants to learn to ski, where is best Europe or USA

For customer service quality, it has to be the States. Not sure it's fair to take a young child that far on a vigorous holiday at such a young age, though. A quick hop across to, say, Switzerland in early Mar, when the weather is warmer, seems like a better bet.
snow report
From my experience, I wouldn't hesitate to take a 4 yo to N.America to ski, if you fancy it. Give 'em a walkman and a stack of story tapes, no probs.
snow conditions
I am with the North America mob. I ski 60% US/Canada and 40% Europe, but my kids so far have always skied in Jackson Hole or Lake Louise (and - btw - I think Sawyers Nook and the food at LL went steadily downhill during the 4 times I went) Excellent food at JH at the bottom of the hill, and brilliant ski school etc etc with service culture. 7 days is a no-no for me though. Kids have less problem with jet lag than I do. Portable DVD player essential for journey and hotel. I have a suspicion that in February I will be hearing the soundtrack to "cars"
daily.
ski holidays
NEILSKI wrote:
imo the jet lag can be managed easily i have been to whistler/tremblant/killington all for only one week and what i do is go saturday to saturday,on a direct flight, then you usally get back early sunday am the straight to bed for the day and night then up and out to work monday am
apart from the first morning in resort when you will wake up ridiculously early(but i am always up and keen to get out on the first am) you do have to make an effort to stay up late(maybe have a drink or two hey)on the first couple of nights then everything should be ok after that
also worth considering is a one night stop over in some of the great citys that you fly from ie vancouver/montreal/boston etc
but i would say that the american rocky resorts that need one or two connections to get there would probably need 10 days to make it worth while

jase2472 i have sent a pm re seirra nevada let me know if you want any info on east coast north america snowHead

not got your PM on sierra nevada mate do you want to send it again rolling eyes
latest report
NEILSKI, but you can't tell a young child to 'get over it' and 'have a couple of drinks' . Also if I go back to work with jetlag, I may kill someone.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, where in the US have you been to?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy