Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips for skiing slushy conditions

Poster: A snowHead
Going skiing tomorrow in 60ºF temps (15ºC) and its been warm for several days. I've never skied where there have been several warm days in a row, so I'm curious what adjustments I might have to make to my (lack of) style. I'm assuming that its going to get rather slushy as the temps get above freezing.

Just curious what to expect snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RoboGeek - What resort are you in? Those temps are practically tropical.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chestnut Mtn, Illinois. It is tropical almost!
last time I went warm weather skiing was in the upper 40's at Snow Summit - and that was just one day of heat, so the snow was fine
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
...to get wet...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Let your skis do the work.

Follow them so that they can plow through the snow.

Beware of trying to turn them or otherwise deflect their direction of travel.

Avoid rapid turns, even using the sidecut. If possible, use bigger skis that are more damp to blast through the gunk.

Wax right, use a coarse structure.

I'm in Peoria this week. Enjoy the skiing!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
are ya? I'm just down the road near Bloomington - passing through Peoria tomorrow. Maybe we can hook up for lunch one of these days..
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RoboGeek, I'll PM you a phone number!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try and keep the skis on an edge.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, but not too much... It's everything in moderation in slush and mashed potatoes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RoboGeek, It will be good. Slush can be good fun when you can make it work. And any snow is better than no snow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stay centred (i.e. not in the back seat). It's more than usually tiring in the back seat on slush.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman, skis with double bindings? Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TallTone, skiing tandem ... that would be fun! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I recently went halves on a pair of skis with a mate, we own one each and can't decide whether to get another set of bindings put on the back or whether to use one each and hold onto each other three-legged-race stylie.

Suggestions welcomed.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another set of bindings and a pantomime horse outfit Toofy Grin
snow report
Slush is the one time when I find I really use my poles. Seeing ssh's cooments, I wonder if I am trying too hard?
latest report
RoboGeek wrote:
Chestnut Mtn, Illinois. It is tropical almost!
last time I went warm weather skiing was in the upper 40's at Snow Summit - and that was just one day of heat, so the snow was fine

That is a bit toasty. You are not alone, though. It was 6c (43f) at 2000m (6600ft) in parts of Austria midday today.
snow report
Nick L

Quote:

I wonder if I am trying too hard?

or not going fast enough?

Are we talking steep slushy bump fields or fast cruising pistes? In the former I visualise myself using poles about as much as I do when they're not slushy. On the latter I find fast, long wavelength and low amplitude turning is best fun, so again pole use is about the same as non-slush. Good waxing is important to prevent the adhesive properties of the wet stuff slowing you down too much.
latest report
Yoda wrote:
Good waxing is important to prevent the adhesive properties of the wet stuff slowing you down too much.

A few years ago I remember spending a whole day riding the tails of my skis - it was the only way to get them to slide. I knew things were going to be interesting when we got to the piste to find it hadn't frozen overnight - still soft from the prior afternoon.
snow conditions
well.. drove up there - about an hour out and it starts to rain.. intermittent at first, but the closer I got the steadier it was. I gave up, turned around and came home. Might try again tomorrow...
ski holidays
keep your feet together and don't try to slow yourself, the friction of the slush will be enough of a brake.
ski holidays
RoboGeek, may we assume you've never tried skiing in Scotland then? Laughing
ski holidays
Yoda, thats a negative.. lol
Tomorrow might be interesting.. and sat is demo day - its going to be even warmer. T-shirt weather even..
And to be honest, I'm a bit nervous about skiing in such unusual conditions - but I figure thats great training for the times when I can't pick and choose the days I ski and I'm stuck with whatever is there
snow report
Slush is good training - if you are moving fast and suddenly hit a really slow patch it's excellent core strength and re-centering exercise (assuming your bindings don't release - but then falling just means getting wet not hitting hard Laughing )
snow report
Nick L wrote:
Slush is the one time when I find I really use my poles. Seeing ssh's cooments, I wonder if I am trying too hard?
Probably. Most people do. Wink snowHead
snow conditions
RoboGeek, You do have to keep the ski going forward as ssh, says. Any sideways movement of the ski wil probably ressult in a stop or a crash. If the ski is moving forward along it's length, you'll be fine. Sometimes you do have to "push" the skis forward with your knees a little.

I LIKE SLUSH! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Big GS turns with momentum....

You are going to bash your way through
latest report
...although its quite good fun for short-swing mogul skiing (if any bumps have built-up yet)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aha! It just so happens I'm a slush expert, having spent the monsoon season in Whistler in Jan 2005. snowHead

You just need to make sure you push your outside ski round at the end of the turn, like you're kicking a football with your big toe.

Do that and you're in business; lose concentration and the slush will spin you round and leave you looking back up the hill, wondering what happened. Shocked Smile
snow report
Snowy wrote:
like you're kicking a football with your big toe.

Not generally recommended! wink
snow conditions
Ski at night Very Happy
snow report
Attack! Get on the ski and drive it through. Don't let the slush command your move. Most of all trust your equipment.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy