Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day trips from Zell Am See

Poster: A snowHead
Besides Kaprun, what would be feasible this coming weekend in search of snow? We are staying in ZAS, and no doubt will ski the glacier, but do we have any other options?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a station in Zell so you can get most places. I think it is only about 40 mins to kitzbuhel, for example. OK there isn't much snow there, but there will be some on top. You could go and sample what is open.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Bish, train station I presume? What is nearby ie within say 45 minutes, open and has snow that you are aware of?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only worth skiing the glasier. Its good up there.
snow forcast for next Tues. wed . thurs.
you could always catch the train to salzburg christmas market. (I did)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you've got a car get yourself down to Saalbach.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
m00958 wrote:

I believe there is also a bus service from Zell-am-See to Saalbach. From speaking to others while I was in ZAS in February, Saalbach is definitely the recommended place to go. Having said that I think you can get Salzburger Super Pass and that will offer plenty of different options.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gastein valley
http://en.skigastein.com/skigebiet/vorstellung-skigebiete/

excellent off-piste when there is snow. Confused

See Bad Gastein off-piste discussion thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21272
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Leuzzi, Saalbach.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only 8 out of 55 lifts open in Saalbach today
45cm of snow at the top........10cm at the bottom.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Byron Gates, Byron Gates, Hi Byron What are conditions like in zell am see at the moment

Cheers

Tony
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Saalbach is easy to get to. 20 mins by public bus. Don't know about current snow conditions though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Tony,
Lovely sunny day here today Crying or Very sad
10 of the 29 lifts are now open. about 12k of runs on the Schmittenhohe
35cm at the top .....nothing from halfway down.
should be better this time next week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Byron Gates wrote:
Hi Tony,
Lovely sunny day here today Crying or Very sad
10 of the 29 lifts are now open. about 12k of runs on the Schmittenhohe
35cm at the top .....nothing from halfway down.
should be better this time next week.

My God.

Was their from the 18th December last year and all th runs into resort had loads of cover, and cold enough for the snow makers to work.
Fingers crossed for you for next week. If its the same as last year you will get a huge fall of snow anytime over the next few days. Wish you luck.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
m00958 wrote:

agreed,

If snow cover is good
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi,

Great thread as I am off to kaprun on Jan 6th. I want to ski the Kaprun / Zell for 4 days and then head off for two days (returning to Kaprun each night). Which two resorts are easy to get to and will offer good skiing (reds / blacks). I'll have to use public transport as I am on a package holiday.

Also, any idea how much the lift passes are in Kap /Zell, does one pass cover the area?

Regards,

Lossy
latest report
We spended one week last January. We took the SuperSalzburger Skipass, and we did: Saalbach, Kitzbuhel, Zell am See, Bad Gastein, Repeat Kitzbuhel (The best one IMO) and Kitzsteinhorn Gletscher (Kaprun for most people, but in Kaprun town there is another little one, Maiskogel, that we didn't ski).

All of them less than an hour by car.

For Kitzbuhel, one day we drove to Mittersill and started at the Pass Thurn area, and the other day, drove into the town, to the hannenkamBahn to ski the rest.

Now, with the experience, maybe too much resorts for a week. Better two different trips. If you're based in Zell am See (We stayed near Areithban gondola) or Kaprun town, ski only in Zell, Kitzsteinhorn, Saalbach, and maybe Maria Alm, all very closer.

Kitzbuhel, and the SkiWelt area is another trip. If you are based in Kirchberg, you have enough mountains and lifts in less than 10km for more than a weeK !!
snow conditions
lift pass for 6 days (7th Jan-19th Jan....intermediate season).....168 euros
ski holidays
Ski pass covers both and also the bus network between the 2 resorts but beware hey wont stop if they are full ....
latest report
The great thing about the zillertal is that the lift pass is that it's a "super lift pass" and it covers all the areas, Mayrhofen, Penken, Zell, even Hintertux Glacier.
snow report
I would have thought Saalbach/Hinterglemm/Leogang is almost at the door step of Zell am See. Bad Gastein, Kitzbuhel...are all 1 to 2 hours drive away.

Also Saalbach/Hinterglemm/Leogang is larger than any of the above resorts and is known to have good snow because it is definitely colder right inside the valley.
latest report
AlTom wrote:
We spended one week last January. We took the SuperSalzburger Skipass, and we did: Saalbach, Kitzbuhel, Zell am See, Bad Gastein, Repeat Kitzbuhel (The best one IMO) and Kitzsteinhorn Gletscher (Kaprun for most people, but in Kaprun town there is another little one, Maiskogel, that we didn't ski).

All of them less than an hour by car.

For Kitzbuhel, one day we drove to Mittersill and started at the Pass Thurn area, and the other day, drove into the town, to the hannenkamBahn to ski the rest.

Now, with the experience, maybe too much resorts for a week. Better two different trips. If you're based in Zell am See (We stayed near Areithban gondola) or Kaprun town, ski only in Zell, Kitzsteinhorn, Saalbach, and maybe Maria Alm, all very closer.

Kitzbuhel, and the SkiWelt area is another trip. If you are based in Kirchberg, you have enough mountains and lifts in less than 10km for more than a weeK !!

I need to know where you can easily get to by bus or train as I won't have a car. Just to confirm are you saying that a ski pass purchased in Laeprun can be used in Zell , saalbach, kitz etc. If so this is great news. Can anyone confirm the transort links from Kaprun.

Thanks,
latest report
mrlossyman, the "standard" ski pass that you would buy in Kaprun will either just cover Kaprun, or cover Zell am See and Kaprun. However you cna buy a different pass, called the SuperSalzburger pass, that will cost a few € more but will cover Zell, Kaprun, Saalbach, Kitzbuhel and about 15 other resorts.

I'm not too familiar with direct transport links from Kaprun (I've always stayed in Zell), however I think that you would have to get a bus to Zell am See and change there.

From Zell am See, there is a frequent bus to Saalbach. To get to Kitz you would get the train.

Check out OEBB to pick your journey.
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
mrlossyman, the "standard" ski pass that you would buy in Kaprun will either just cover Kaprun, or cover Zell am See and Kaprun. However you cna buy a different pass, called the SuperSalzburger pass, that will cost a few € more but will cover Zell, Kaprun, Saalbach, Kitzbuhel and about 15 other resorts.

I'm not too familiar with direct transport links from Kaprun (I've always stayed in Zell), however I think that you would have to get a bus to Zell am See and change there.

From Zell am See, there is a frequent bus to Saalbach. To get to Kitz you would get the train.

Check out OEBB to pick your journey.

Thanks for the advice, things seem much clearer now! Smile
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, good explanation....
latest report
saikee wrote:
I would have thought Saalbach/Hinterglemm/Leogang is almost at the door step of Zell am See. Bad Gastein, Kitzbuhel...are all 1 to 2 hours drive away.

Also Saalbach/Hinterglemm/Leogang is larger than any of the above resorts and is known to have good snow because it is definitely colder right inside the valley.

I agree that Saalbach is closer but it's not even an hours drive to Bad Gastein. The Zillertal is further for sure once you've drive up the Gerlospass, and then you're only in Konigsleiten.

Peter Leuzzi, i'd recommend a trip to the Gastein valley, even if you only go to Dorfgastein because it is pretty good if you want to do some high mileage. That said, Saalbach is so close you're going have to be there for a while (or ski really fast) before you get bored I think. How long are you going for?

Cheers
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy