Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ceefax Snow Reports

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Are up and running again. I know it probably sounds a bit updated, but that format does allow you to see loads of resorts within a few minutes.

Brings me back to the days before tinternet Very Happy

Page 420 on BBC 1 & BBC 2
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
....and me too, 20 pages of 'best snow on upper slopes' - genius Laughing I can remember in years before the internet waiting to get home from school to check the latest report and sometimes, when parents were out i'd pick the fone up for a listen to a snowline to get more info LOL, 4 minutes of plugging the 350 other resorts they covered and 1 minute of info on your reort that effectively said.....'best snow on upper slopes' Laughing oh and a mystery £5 on the telephone bill...them were the days..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes John,

Like Concord ceefax is a technology that will not be replaced by anything better. Mad Ceefax is great because it goes straight to the facts with no adverts and no delay. The red button thing doesn't offer anything like the depth of information comparable to Ceefax. Its more interesting than most of the TV programmes.

When it finally goes it will be sorely missed.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I still use page 401 regularly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good tip johnboy, I'll add it to my "list of pages".

Every morning, for as long as it takes to eat a bowl of cereal, in the following order:
301 (Sport headlines)
340 (Cricket headlines)
302 (Football headlines)
338 (Football transfer speculation)
160 (Local news)
101 (Headlines)
401 (Weather)

You can't do that on digital text in 5 minutes!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ceefax and Teletext rock. They condense the need-to-know facts so well. I also have a preferred list of pages every day Smile

Page 226 on ITV Teletext is still the best place to book a lastminute vacation.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter S, Ceefax might end?!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chrisb, yup, teletext in its traditional form will stop when the analogue TV signal is phased out in favour of digital telly (sometime over the next 6 years depending on where you live). The version they use on digital telly is absolutely horrible and slow to use.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FenlandSkier,

Lets start a campaign to save Ceefax Mad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
They could have actually put proper teletext on digital telly but for some stupid reason decided the new fancy version would be tons better instead.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FenlandSkier wrote:
They could have actually put proper teletext on digital telly but for some stupid reason decided the new fancy version would be tons better instead.

I suspect the decision may have something to do with how much they can monetize the interactive digital version in the future.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's worth making noises about this, because Ceefax is by no means dead and buried. A new server system for the BBC site, digital text an Ceefax has been/is being put in, you will notice some very simply formated web pages on the BBC sports site - thats because updating sports content on the website is now created by the Ceefax System.

From things I've heard in talking to various people about the future of the Scottish Reports and how their updated Ceefax could technically continue beyond analogue shutdown - and if there is the demand it probably will! At present the powers that be can't grasp that anyone would want to use ceefax over this "great new digital text thing"!! SO tell them!

If people want what digital text tries to offer they will go online. Teletext is about fast access to information - it works because it is so simple and fast. Despite all the technological advances in 30years - if you want to check weather, sport, news in a hurry, you can't beat ceefax.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Winterhighland wrote:
If people want what digital text tries to offer they will go online. Teletext is about fast access to information - it works because it is so simple and fast. Despite all the technological advances in 30years - if you want to check weather, sport, news in a hurry, you can't beat ceefax.

Exactly, I watch telly at home from the comfort of my sofa but with a laptop beside me, I have DTT here but have never used the text service for anything other than novelty value because it's a darn sight quicker to just point the browser at a website and get straight to the info I want. If the analogue style text only info was there at the push of a button I'd use it, as it isn't then I can't.

Found this earlier:-
"AMSTERDAM - The Netherlands ended transmission of "free to air" analog
television on Monday, becoming the first nation to switch completely to
digital signals.

Few Dutch consumers noticed, however, because the overwhelmingly majority
get TV via cable, AP reported.

Only about 74,000 households relied on TV antennas, although 220,000 people
had an "occasional use" set somewhere such as in a vacation house, camper or
boat.
"
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy