Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need advise on choosing skis

Poster: A snowHead
I haven't gone skiing for nearly 10 years and would like to start again. This time I want to buy all the equipments instead of renting them. I consider myself at the beginner+ level. I could handle the blue trails, but not black. I'm 6 feet tall, male and 190 lbs. Tried to do some research on the web but didn't get anywhere. One thing that was somewhat helpful was a "Find your equipment" program in Salomon's website. I was suggested to use X-Wing 5 skis.

Went to a local ski shop today. After I told the sales person what my level was, he told me to pick any skis in the $400-500 range (with bindings), and they would pick the boots for me, which will be in the $300-400 range after a 20-minut fitting session. This made me a little nervous, so I asked him if he could suggest anything made by Salomon. He pointed to the X-Wing 8 and said that would be good for me. Then I knew I couldn't pull the trigger so I thanked him and left.

Now I'm not sure if I can trust the local shop. Please recommend some good skis. I'm ready to buy based on the feedbacks.

Here's what I thought I should have based on what I learned from manufacturer's web sites:

Salomon: X-Wing 5
K2: Comanche 2Com or 3Com
Atomic: IZOR 3:1 or 5:3
Rossignol, Elan, Dynastar: Not very clear

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!!

Dennis
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
While buying boots may make sense if you intend to ski reguarly again,I think I'd wait a week before committingto buy skis. I'd suggest having lessons again. See whether you enjoy it(assume you will) and get to know the new style of kit before rushing to buy. If you are determined to buy demo some kit to enable you to make you choice rather than choosing off the manufacturer's websites
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dc00, i agree with what dan100 says about waiting a week before buying skis. Rental shops will do try-before-you-buy deals where the cost of your rental will be deducted from the price of the skis. It'll let you try a variety of different designs and makes out (Atomics, Rossis and K2s all ski very differently, and the Izors may take some getting used to if you're used to older ski designs). Also, get a lesson and ask your instructor what he thinks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dc00, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead
Definately dont buy skis yet. Possibly buy boots.
If you have any strangeness to your feet then buy boots & spend hours (not 20 mins) getting them right.
Then get out there and like enaikay78 says, try loads of different types & shapes & lengths & widths - and have fun.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advise. I'll buy boots first and try out some skis.

Any recommendations on some skis that I can try?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ask at the hire shop for skis to suit your level, if you don't like them swap them for something else. Get lessons - ski equipment has changed considerably in the last 10 years, and technique has changed too.

snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skis have changed out of all recognition in 10 years and you may find it hard to adjust. A friend of mine bought some state of the art carvers in a position like yours and has yet to carve a turn on them. He still stems and skids like he always did on his 2 Meter plus skis from before.

I am about your weight (on a good day) and was recommended to buy Head skis (as load bearers!?) but I am no sort of expert. I agree with the idea of getting the boots right first, then get some skis to try and some lessons.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In golf, we can point the beginners to a set of Callaway irons and know that it won't be too far off. Is there something similar in skis? I'm afraid I can't tell if certain skis are good or bad. It could be my techniques. So I'm hoping to get a "can't miss" set if there is one. Cost is not a big factor but I understand that equipments for advanced skiers are usually more expensive.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought the boots at the local shop last night. It's a Nordica Speedmachine 8 with a flex index of 100. I was afriaid that they were too advanced for me but the boot fitter assured me that it would be ok although I could be "kicked" a little in the beginning. What do you think?

He then recommended Salomon X-Wing 8 and K2 5COM skis. Again, I thought these were for advanced skiers. Unfortunately they don't do demos, so it would be difficult for me to try and buy. I really want to just get a pair and be over with. Any opinions on these two skis? Ready to buy if one is good for me. Or recommendations on others? I know I'm against the advice here but it just seems difficult for me to demo any skis.

Thanks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dc00 wrote:
I bought the boots at the local shop last night. It's a Nordica Speedmachine 8 with a flex index of 100. I was afriaid that they were too advanced for me but the boot fitter assured me that it would be ok although I could be "kicked" a little in the beginning. What do you think?

You'll be fine. Did you get footbeds?

Quote:
He then recommended Salomon X-Wing 8 and K2 5COM skis. Again, I thought these were for advanced skiers. Unfortunately they don't do demos, so it would be difficult for me to try and buy. I really want to just get a pair and be over with. Any opinions on these two skis? Ready to buy if one is good for me. Or recommendations on others? I know I'm against the advice here but it just seems difficult for me to demo any skis.

Thanks.

Where do you ski?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Vermont and Poconos.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dc00, Is there any reason why you can't hire in resort for your first trip? OK it'll cost you a few bucks, but you are thinking of spending $$$ so why not spend a little more to 'try b4 you buy'? in Europe many resort shops will let you hire and try many different pairs before deciding which ones are right for you. This is a VERY good idea if you can do it.

Failing that buy a pair of Rossi Bandit B2's. 174's should be about right for you. You won't regret it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree with you, AxsMan. However, I'll be taking my children of 6 and 4 to ski for the first time, most likely just day trips initially. I imagine that alone won't be an easy task. So I'd like to get my stuff ready before the trips. (I'll rent all their equipment locally for the year.)

Based on what I read, the "new" shaped skis shorten the length required. I'm expecting 165-170 for me. Isn't 174 considered long these days?

Thanks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AxsMan, I expect he wants to avoid the queues.

dc00, the Bandit B2 is a reasonable start. My preference would be to go slightly edgier, Volkl AC2 or Head iXRC 800 or Magfire 10 or Fischer AMC 73 or Dynastar Contact 9.

Proper length depends on the specific ski.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dc00, Well if you really want short there's the 166 model, but I was basing my estimate on your height/weight stats. Rossi B2's are very forgiving all mountain skis which will let you get away with less than perfect technique (trust me on this wink ) but will still hold an edge in the hardpack and have some float on the powder. You may read some posts here that condemn them as 'punter skis' but for us punters they're great. Madeye-Smiley

But addressing your question, if you are hiring for the kiddies, why not hire yourself? at least for a couple of days. Would you buy a car without a test drive?
snow report
Thanks for the recommendations, Comprex.

AxsMan, my local store only does annual rentals and it costs almost half the skis. Must do for the kids but I'd rather buy. Figure I'll just sell it on ebay if I really don't like it.
latest report
dc00, annual rentals Shocked Shocked Don't blame you for deciding to buy then! But are you sure you can't just rent for a few days in resort? Everywhere (including the US and Canada) that I've ever skied has been full of shops who will rent by the day (and let you try b4 you buy) Puzzled
latest report
Ya, no probs, I'd go long (170cm + ) on the Volkl and Fischer. Just under for the rest.

The trouble is that those are just the "name" skis, i.e. widely stocked and universally recognizable. There are others that might be substituted (mostly in the skicross category) if price and availability are right. It's hard to recommend something more obscure (Blizzard/Ogasaka/Dynastar&Salomon skicross/Stockli/Dynamic) but there could easily be better deals out there.

Flexon Phil might be along soon to to shed wisdom, he (the current Flexon Phil incarnation) skis many of those hills on a regular basis.
ski holidays
dc00, if you don't mind used demos, check here:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtheavsgroupQQhtZ-1

I got Rossingnol Freeride X skis for $29 and Rossingnol Roc boots for $23 - couldn't be happier with the quality or the pricing. They have a few different brands so take a look - for the price you cant go wrong.

Now that its in-season, the prices are a bit higher - but thats where I'm getting my next skis from too
snow report
RoboGeek: Thanks. I'll take a look. Hope they are not too old.

Comprex: Sorry I missed one of your earlier questions regarding the footbeds. No, it was never brought up during the fitting process. I never had them before and have no idea.
snow report
no.. they are pretty decent, and in good shape. I was like you and had a 15 yr break, so I just needed to get good solid basic ski's - and the cost of the ones I bought was recovered in 2 $40 rentals. Now I don't have to worry about adapting to different rental equipment each time, and I can sell them for twice what I paid at the end of the season if I want - although I like my boots so far.. and the skis.. so I may just add on
ski holidays
I heard my name..wazzzup?
snow report
dc00 wrote:

Here's what I thought I should have based on what I learned from manufacturer's web sites:

Salomon: X-Wing 5
K2: Comanche 2Com or 3Com
Atomic: IZOR 3:1 or 5:3
Rossignol, Elan, Dynastar: Not very clear

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!!

Dennis

I wouldn't buy any of the beginner specific models. You'll grow out of them in a week or two and wish you had more performance. You should rent only at that level of ski. It only makes sense to buy when you reach a level where you're comfortable skiing on the higher level models. I don't mean full-on race/expert skis, more stuff like Rossi B2s, X-wing 8/10, K2 5Com etc. Ski manufacturers are clever at marketing. They try to guide you into a largely unecessary upgrade path Wink
ski holidays
Hey everyone, new guy here. Thought I would chip in to say I have just bought some K2 5 Coms for the coming season. I tested some X Wings (heavy & unresponsive) and the 4 Com - very responsive and springy. They didn't have 5 Coms to test but I went for a 167 cm pair anyway so they last me a little longer - they are very well recommended and not too expensive. For reference, I'm just under 6ft, 65 kgs, ski blue and reds okay, but still skid at the moment - hopefully I will move onto carving next year Smile Oh and if your interested, and my wife bought a pair of One Luv's.

Stephen (Niederau, Austria - 20th Jan 2007)
latest report
Ater a couple days of research, mostly reading reviews on the web, I'm setting my eyes on Dynastar Contact 9. Two more questions:

1. Which length fits me better, 165cm or 172cm? I'm 6 feet tall and 190 lbs.

2. I'm sure I'll be punished, at least initially, as this ski is beyond my capability right now. But what are the consequences? Is it going to prevent me from making progress? If so, I'll pick an easier one.

Thanks.
snow conditions
IHMO
Boots yes but skis no.

You'll either get skis that are beyond your capabilities or outski them within a week. If you hire you can take them back and swap them, each day if necessary. Or hire B4 buy. Get back into it then buy.

Depending on your past experience, it shouldnt take too long to get back to the level you were at before. I took a 15 year break from the snow and within a few days was back in the saddle! I hired ski's, and swapped them on day 2 for a better spec of ski. One with edges! wink

For boots, you'll need to take you time and get a good fitting. Many years ago (25 yrs) a friend of mine went ski-ing. Despite being told to prepare and take his time he bought his boots the day before the holiday. He spent 30 mins deciding, liked the colour and bought them. It ruined his holiday! Sad
Footbeds can make a real difference. Go for a 'custom' molded bed not a premoulded type. Any ski shop worth its salt, should be able to prepare custom footbeds, if they also dont offer that level of service, go somewhere else that does.

Good luck!
ski holidays
Contact 9 sounds like a great choice. Even though it's more ski than you "need" right now, I very much doubt it will cause any problems for you. It's a great piste ski and will be easier to carve on than a wider mid-fat ski anyway. You might not get all the available performance out of them, but they won't hold you back in any way.

Length? I'd certainly go for 172 cm at your height/weight.

I agree with all the other comments about boots. Sort those out first and get them fitted professionally.
ski holidays
Pulled the trigger -- Contact 9, 172cm. Thanks all for your help!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy