Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How does the ski know how tall you are?

Poster: A snowHead
Weight, strength, foot size are evident.

How does a ski know how tall you are?

Is picking ski size by height merely application of preconcieved notions about Body Mass Index?

Are taller skiers expected to angulate (as opposed to bank) less (larger enclosed angle) for a given turn radius so that, for them, a longer ski with the same tip/waist/tail dimensions is actually easier to ski than for shorter skiers?

Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
comprex, yeah baby, i'm 6'1" and i need some long skis... anyone making a 205cm 130/115/125 or thereabouts... What do I know? Short skis are for whimps... (or maybe just short people... sorry, shorties...)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, love the art work

you want to enter that into the turner prize [think thats the one] Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The only factor i can think of height wise is that a tall person has a higher centre of gravity. I would have thought weight and power were more crucial factors.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it more a question of fore/aft balance. So, as FTS says, a tall person has a higher centre of gravity so it is helpful to have a bit more ski in front and behind them if they get pitched forward of back? or something... Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you're right Arno - fore/aft balance (and pressure). Because of that it's less important than it was in the days of skinny skis when you needed to apply lots of forward pressure to initiate a carve. I think quite a few ski makers only guide on weight not height these days.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, but surely it's a question of stiffness and ski characteristics in addition to height. My slalom skis are 155 which is shorter than me, but for off piste I'm quite happy around 165 - 170 which is taller than me. On detuned slalom skis I'm happy at 165 ..... On park skis I'm even happy on 176 - I used to ski 200 .... don't know a serious answer to your question though. Shock
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How short are you anyway?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At 6'8" (2m04) I don't feel happy on anything less than 175s. The absolute best skis I ever rode were 185s - Dynastar Legend 8000 (drool). They did everything for me. True, with only a couple of weeks under my belt, I don't have a lot to compare with, but speed/moguls/traverse - lovely! snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex, As we carry the most part of our weight(males) around the upper body, the length is important, so yes a ski too short will know if it's too short.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
size is always important in men - ask your women
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So why are grass skis so short ?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CEM, I know there are, ah, more talented snowHeads about. I was, you'll perceive, more concerned about the size of my arrow.

Arno, that is troubling because it seems to imply that taller men are somehow in a chronic state of imbalance that needs to be, hmm, corrected or compensated?

easiski, it is the Centre of Mass skier model that gets me in trouble. Can I really extend my skis away from my centre of mass, and use core muscles to pressure the tips or am I merely aligning a set of large massy lumps (connected by weak springs) so that it is my chin and shoulders pressuring the tips to turn in and my behind pressing the tails to exit a turn? F'so I better quit muscle training and start some serious yoga or something.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, what does that say about necessary boot stiffness to ski length?

SnowHot, short. Thick tho. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, you are the naughty one aren't you? Shocked

Seriously tho.......When I went to shaped skis, I started skiing on 160ish length and loved them. It was when I started mountainbiking 3 years ago that I noticed I needed more from a ski, not necessarily in lenght but technical properties the ski offered.

Now, about that 8 lbs I gained.......... Confused
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, i suppose that is where my logic takes you. if a tall person hits some slush and it pitched forward by 5 degrees, their COM will move further than a short person pitched forward by the same amount. thus a longer ski will be helpful?

laterally, a tall skier can make their own adjustment by widening their stance

i ain't a scientist so i don't know enough about momentum to know whether it is as simple as this in practice
snow report
SnowHot, far naughtier than immediately apparent,

for I am not being original at all with this thread, rather pulling things together from the One for the Boyz thread, the Help your Bootfitter help you thread, the Boot Balance thread, and Bob Barnes' backpedaling through bumps animation.

All of this, in turn, prompted by watching 6-foot Pierre weave through a shark's teeth icemogul field on absurdly short and soft skis, skiing alpine turns in teleboots, knowing he's got a stiff back.

Thus:

Arno, therefore a taller person needs a stiffer boot so as not to be pitched forward as far? And therefore is far more sensitive to balance issues from the outset?

The counterpoint to this is that, for any given upset to the ski travel path, the shorter skier is likely to reach their limit of ankle motion far sooner, whether it is limited by boot flex or by calf muscle tension or something else? The shorter we are, the more stretching called for?

Thus far I don't really -know- anything save that, if I am willing to regard skier height as a viable factor in ski length choice, I can't honestly ignore any of these other factors (Ankle ROM, core strength, boot balance, ski flex, boot flex, all buckles buckled?, last yoga session, et stinking cetera).
snow report
comprex wrote:
[
Arno, therefore a taller person needs a stiffer boot so as not to be pitched forward as far? And therefore is far more sensitive to balance issues from the outset?

The counterpoint to this is that, for any given upset to the ski travel path, the shorter skier is likely to reach their limit of ankle motion far sooner, whether it is limited by boot flex or by calf muscle tension or something else?

i am risking getting out of my depth on momentum, leverage etc but having a stiff boot will reduce the distance a tall person is pitched forward but there will still be the same force moving forward which will be transmitted to the front of the ski by the stiffer boot

i'm not sure it's a particularly controversial thing to say that a person with a higher centre of gravity will have to work a bit harder to maintain their balance than someone with a lower centre of gravity is it?
latest report
Arno wrote:

i'm not sure it's a particularly controversial thing to say that a person with a higher centre of gravity will have to work a bit harder to maintain their balance than someone with a lower centre of gravity is it?

No, that's fine, if we stop there. I, however, am tempted to ask:

- should they be continuously working?
- what part of the body is working?
- what is it working against? (gravity, other muscles, boot flex, ski flex?)

The latter two questions being tied to the boot stiffness since extent of motion is tied to my concept of work.
snow report
comprex wrote:

- what part of the body is working?
- what is it working against? (gravity, other muscles, boot flex, ski flex?)

The latter two questions being tied to the boot stiffness since extent of motion is tied to my concept of work.

These are quite interesting questions. I was the subject of some research being undertaken by a PHD physiotherapist on ACL rehab where she rigged my up with a number of sensors and looked at which bits of my body I used to adjust balance. The basis answer seemed to be that all of the body was involved with balance, but I used my ankle and foot muscles a lot, particularly when the corrections were quite small

No idea what this has to do with ski length though!

Anyway, a lot of what is "right" in terms of ski length is personal preference, pure and simple (although for racers they are dictated by FIS rules etc.). I'd say the right ski length is what you feel comfortable with unless someone qualified in these things can see that they are obviously holding you back
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
but I used my ankle and foot muscles a lot, particularly when the corrections were quite small

No idea what this has to do with ski length though!

I think it has to do with length AND width as both you and parlor are correct to notice. Wider skis for taller skiers.
ski holidays
comprex, Tibial length, weight, speed, temperature, 10 degrees of movement, zetta angle, flexability, blah, blah, blah. Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, its really all about the boots and the right attitude isn't it? wink
snow conditions
Not convinced about wider skis for taller skiers - maybe wider skis for heavier skiers off-piste for extra floatation. Otherwise I would have thought ski width is more related to the type of skiing you're into.

Longer skis for taller skiers makes some sense. I'm quite tall at 6'1" and on skis shorter than 170 cm I feel like I'm about to go over the bars all the time (relatively big mass and high COM). 175-180 cm seems to work fine for me. A combination of weight, height and usage should determine ski length.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, notice the relatively big mass & the high COM is true laterally as well; the factors that obviously change are the stiffness of the boot and the bending resistance/modulus of the ski.
snow report
True, but surely increased ski width is primarily for increased floatation in deep snow rather than height/weight of skier. Ski manufacturers don't generally increase the width of their longer skis - well maybe 1-2 mm at most between the shortest and longest lengths of the same model. Width is primarily governed by their intended usage i.e narrower for on-piste, wider for off-piste. This makes sense since a narrow ski is faster edge-edge and a wider ski floats better in powder. Obviously a heavy skier will need a wider ski to achieve the same powder floatation. But on piste, I don't think a heavy skier needs a significantly wider ski than a lighter skier. But they do almost certainly need a longer ski.
snow report
As a former physicist, my initial thought is to do with moment of force, which some of you are expressing as 'a higher centre of gravity'. A force applied at a distance to a fulcrum creates what is known as a moment. Imagine a balanced beam. Place a 1kg mass 100cm from the middle on one side and it is no longer balanced, to balance it you can place a 1kg mass 100cm from the other side, or a 2kg mass 50cm away.

I'm not certain how this applies in this case, but it makes sense to me that a taller person creates a greater moment of force than a shorter person of equal weight.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, i agree with you. you don't need wide skis to assist your balance laterally - you can just widen your stance
latest report
flicksta wrote:
As a former physicist, my initial thought is to do with moment of force, which some of you are expressing as 'a higher centre of gravity'. A force applied at a distance to a fulcrum creates what is known as a moment. Imagine a balanced beam. Place a 1kg mass 100cm from the middle on one side and it is no longer balanced, to balance it you can place a 1kg mass 100cm from the other side, or a 2kg mass 50cm away.

I'm not certain how this applies in this case, but it makes sense to me that a taller person creates a greater moment of force than a shorter person of equal weight.

Agreed. As an engineer myself, I just assumed everyone knew that Smile
Yes, a high centre of gravity combined with a greater mass, simply results in a larger moment applied at the boot/binding interface. The ski has to react and balance that moment against the ground and a longer ski can achieve this with a smaller reaction force - since it acts further away from the binding/boot. It's all about balance of moments if you're into that sort of thing!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
errr - I don't do science! Shocked
snow report
uktrailmonster, flicksta, 2 points:

1) It is easy to say 'a force applied at a distance to a fulcrum'. What is applying that force and what is it reacting against, by Newton's third law?

2)
Quote:
But on piste, I don't think a heavy skier needs a significantly wider ski than a lighter skier.

Agreed. I was playing devils' advocate above.

Quote:
But they do almost certainly need a longer ski.

Not even remotely proven yet. Why? If any given skier can balance laterally in 75mm of space with a rigid boot and laterally stiff ski , why does this same skier need 175cm ski to balance front to back?

Arno, check the Skiing myth #whatsis :50/50 weight split thread.
snow conditions
Simply test the ski desired in the manufacturers recommended length for your height and weight, then test the ski in the next size up. Toofy Grin
snow report
comprex wrote:

1) It is easy to say 'a force applied at a distance to a fulcrum'. What is applying that force and what is it reacting against, by Newton's third law?

The force is a result of acceleration (F = ma). The force F acts through the centre of gravity of the skier. It's reacted by a distributed load through the base/edge of the skis, which can be resolved into an equivalent point load. It's the effective position of this load (and hence its leverage) that changes with ski length.

Quote:

Not even remotely proven yet. Why? If any given skier can balance laterally in 75mm of space with a rigid boot and laterally stiff ski , why does this same skier need 175cm ski to balance front to back?

Tried snowblades yet then? Wink

Ok, laterally you can generate massive forces from the ski edges and you're free to simply widen your stance to increase lateral stability. Longitudinally, there's not much you can do other than change your fore/aft balance on the skis. When on foot, you can put one foot forward to stabilise yourself, but that's not really an option on skis (unless you're telemarking). Not to mention that a longer ski has more edge available to provide cornering force for a heavier skier.

Take it to its extreme and try skiing on 75 x 75 cm square skis. The skis will be way too short to provide enough of a stabilising moment to prevent you going back bottom over tit in the first few seconds and there won't be enough edge length to sustain a high G carved turn.

What isn't proven yet, is just how short can you go and still maintain enough stability. A shorter ski will have to be stiffer to support higher loading. They're getting shorter all the time, but I reckon we're close to reaching the limit.
snow report
uktrailmonster wrote:

The force is a result of acceleration (F = ma).

Which acceleration?

Quote:
The force F acts through the centre of gravity of the skier.

Fine, fine, fine. That's how we define centre of gravity.

All right. Centre of gravity is over the middle of the ski.

Now what?

Are we displacing the centre of gravity using muscular force through the boot to the snow? Why we doin' dat? Maybe we should stop.

Quote:

It's reacted by a distributed load through the base/edge of the skis, which can be resolved into an equivalent point load. It's the effective position of this load (and hence its leverage) that changes with ski length.

Granting this for the moment, why do we care what the magnitude and position of the load on the snow is? This is on piste not pow. The moment at the boot sole is identical.

Quote:

Tried snowblades yet then? Wink

Oh, yes, and grass skis and speed skates too. Very Happy

EDIT: and unicycling.
snow conditions
Which acceleration? Combined lateral and longitudinal (unless you ski at constant speed without turning)

The centre of gravity might be over the middle of the ski, but the force due to acceleration doesn't act straight down through your boots. It acts in a combined lateral and longitudinal direction applying a moment which is greater the heavier you are and the higher your CofG.

I guess your point is that a perfectly balanced skier could get away with using a much shorter ski? I guess that's true, hence the very existence of snow blades. But longer skis are still inherently more stable.

The reactive moment at the boot sole may be identical for short/longer skis (providing you don't actually fall over), but the shorter ski has to work harder to achieve it i.e larger force acting at a shorter distance.

Hey if you can speed skate down a double black I'll be seriously impressed!!
snow conditions
"How does a ski know how tall you are?"

The simple answer is that it doesn't, but it can make a good guess based on the forces you exert on it. A tall, heavy skier will exert the biggest forces due to both their mass and it's height above the ski. Or am I missing something?
snow conditions
comprex, who said anything about 50:50? rolling eyes
snow conditions
uktrailmonster wrote:

It acts in a combined lateral and longitudinal direction applying a moment which is greater ... and the higher your CofG.

Therein lies our disagreement. I say the moment is the same. (Same skis, identically pressured and edged). The response to that moment may be slower or faster depending on height, static position of CoM, and, most importantly

how far the CoM was displaced, using muscular force, from being aligned with the resultant force (gravity and turn acceleration) being straight up through the boots, in order to achieve pressuring and edging of the skis.

Quote:

I guess your point is that a perfectly balanced skier could get away with using a much shorter ski?

Yep. Except for 'perfectly' read 'better' along a continuum of trainable proprioception.
latest report
Seems to me that higher CoM means that I can exert a higher force through my boot cuffs to the ski than can a shorter guy. That said, though, if I am a skilled skier, I should be able to moderate that force, so ski the same length of ski that a shorter person of the same body mass would, since the primary item of interest is the decamber I can put on the ski (which is based on my mass) and my balancing over the decambered ski (which may be a bit more difficult for me than for someone with a CoM closer to the skis).
snow report
ssh, my frame of reference deliberately starts at the ski, and assumes identical skier CoM, one skier being merely taller than the other.
ski holidays
comprex wrote:

Therein lies our disagreement. I say the moment is the same. (Same skis, identically pressured and edged).

How can the applied moment be the same when the forces are acting through a higher CoM? That's impossible, it's a force acting at a distance. If the distance is greater, the moment is larger. It's like saying a car with a high CoM will produce the same roll moment as a car of the same mass, but with a much lower CoM.

I agree the reaction moment applied from the ski at the base of the boot must be identical, regardless of their length, to achieve equilibrium. But as I mentioned earlier a shorter ski will have to produce a higher reaction force to create this moment, therefore it will be loaded more heavily. That's ok if the ski and snow surface can both support that load.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy