Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ideal length for bald bloke from Surrey

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about a new set of skis, going from the Rosignol Major 5.0 pin tail concept half calvers to full carvers.

Mine are 191cm but I'm having a bit of trouble sourcing skkis at that length for full carvers abnd posts in here seem to often reference shorter skis - so should I be thinking shorter too?

My downhills are 200cm!

I'm 6', 38, 14 1/2 stone.

I can ski down a steep black mogully run but it might not be elegant. I havent done much off piste but thinking about some lessons and guiding in this this year.

So then, whats the ideal length and what recomendations do people have, ski wise, for an old man not too concerned about fashion looking to move on.

Maybe you consider my ropey old pin tails good enough anyway?

Even better!

Any advice would be much appreciated Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Forgot to say - I'm not afraid to search ebay for bargains either..
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm still trying to work out 6'38" . . . does that include the comb over?

someone less juvenile will be along l8r wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
180 or 185 GS Race skis. and hire fat for the OP days unless you make that a habit which will bring you back to
the "one-ski-do-itall" saga on here
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
professorpool, I have 2 metre and 191cm skis in the garage. I currently ski on 176 to 184.

I am a similar weight to you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
professorpool, I would have thought 180 would be enough. Still around head height! I should go for a pretty all round ski - something like the Mission or the Aztec Pro or perhaps the one of the Movement range. there is no need to have long skis any more as the new shorter skis support the weight of a heavier skier due to construction materials.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all!

Garage it is then... Laughing Laughing

I've seen these on ebay:

Atomic Beta Carve X9 18 ski's with Tyrolia TD8 bindings

at 180cm

What about those then?

£50 with an hour to go..
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did you get them?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did, £68. Already met the guy and picked them up.

Good nick too!

Got some Rossignol Bandit X's at £19.99 that are finishing in an hour or so. Can I nick those too?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
professorpool wrote:
Thinking about a new set of skis, going from the Rosignol Major 5.0 pin tail concept half calvers to full carvers.

Mine are 191cm but I'm having a bit of trouble sourcing skkis at that length for full carvers abnd posts in here seem to often reference shorter skis - so should I be thinking shorter too?

My downhills are 200cm!

I'm 6', 38, 14 1/2 stone.

I can ski down a steep black mogully run but it might not be elegant. I havent done much off piste but thinking about some lessons and guiding in this this year.

So then, whats the ideal length and what recomendations do people have, ski wise, for an old man not too concerned about fashion looking to move on.

Maybe you consider my ropey old pin tails good enough anyway?

Even better!

Any advice would be much appreciated Smile

The best place to spend your money on ski equipment is on the boots. No point putting the best tyres on a ferrari if the steering rack is loose. If your boots are good then move onto skis.

Next time you go skiing rent a few different skis (maybe even the same ski at different lengths). For old men like us, choosing skis is just like choosing clothes (except don't always go for the brown ones) - it's not what you look good in it's what feels comfortable Cool. You can normally strike up a deal with a shop that will let you change the skis every day and if you buy money is knocked off the rental cost. Contrary to public belief matching skiwear, boots and skis do not make you ski better - it only lets people know where you spent the money you should of spent on lessons wink

Piste skis tend to be shorter and off-piste longer. For your height I'd suggest 1.6 to 1.85 for piste skis. + 10 cm for offpiste. Have fun testing and see what works for you.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's good advice and I'll probably do something like that though I now have 3 sets to take with me anyway, having won the Bandits at £19.99 also. That's what cars are for after all - taking too much c**p with you! Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
professorpool, those Atomics should do you fine on piste (although I'm not generally much of an Atomic fan). As someone of similar specs to you (although 38 is now purely a memory fading disturbingly fast), you will almost certainly want something bigger for off-piste. My current skis are 184 long (allegedly - actually 181 tip to tail as the marmot flies), 79mm underfoot, but for the future I'm looking now at 185-190 long and 85-90 underfoot; 188cm, 88mm seem to suit me fine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Bandit X's are 191's
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
professorpool, stop buying skis now (for the moment). The 9'18s can be a decent transition ski for you, but, if they are tuned to their proper shape, will magnify boot slop and errors far, far more than any straight skis could. The next update should be to the boot part of the ski system. You can always hire off-piste skis in resort and save ski carriage fees, but the boots will (ought) to come with you.

PS Which bindings and did they have a plate on them, possibly labeled CarveXCharger?
PPS never mind, I see above.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 11-12-06 17:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
professorpool, I take exception to someon calling himself
Quote:

an old man

at the age of
Quote:

Puzzled
What should I now consider myself? Very old? Ancient? Prehistoric? We bald blokes from Surrey (I went to school in Woking) must stick together, don't you know! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
LOL!

I went to Winston Churchill in Knaphill. Still live there (though been to other places inbetween)..
ski holidays
I was at St Dunstan's (we lived between Ripley and Send)
latest report
heheheh ... it's nice to add a decade or two to you age raddled old men and still be able to comb a centre parting Twisted Evil 38 is barely middle-aged.
ski holidays
Salomon X Wave 8.0's btw..
snow report
snow report
Nick L wrote:
I was at St Dunstan's (we lived between Ripley and Send)
Know it.

I drink in the Princess, just around the corner and have mates that live near St Dunstan's.

If you havent been back for a while, you won't recognise Woking!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy