Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drive up to Jasper

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are off to Canada in January and February and for the first time we are hiring a car instead of using transfers. We have been along most of the roads we will be going on before in coaches but we are hoping to do a trip up to Jasper. Does anyone know what that is like in winter as we are slightly worrying about the height we go up?

Also do hire cars come equiped with everything we need for winter driving, we are planning to hire a 4x4.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anniegirl, I think you need to talk to the hire company. The States and Canadian police will turn you back if you're not equipped and they have designated that chains are required for a route. You have to remember that NA, for all it's popularity is a big place that's easy to get lost in (someone's already died this winter form getting their car stuck in the backwoods).
Whatever you hire should have at a minimum, chains and then add a shovel, tow rope and space blankets. One thing you'll also hear from people in bad weather country is to never let your fuel tank get less that 3/4 full.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anniegirl, you can't help this chap out? http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21495 , he's asking about Jasper Apres...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anniegirl, I did that drive in February this year. As you turn off the Trans-Canada Highway 1 onto 93N (The Icefields Parkway to Jasper) there is a road information sign giving the road conditions. It was showing poor (one above the lowest, which was road closed). The car we had wasn't a 4x4, but was fitted with winter tyres. The road was snow covered, but generally keeping to the compacted tracks made by other cars and trucks it wasn't too bad, driving cautiously, keeping speed down and avoiding sudden braking etc. The worst part was at the summit of Bow Pass (2067m), where a couple of cars had slid and got stuck, and it was necessary to drive around them trying not to get stuck as well! The journey is 230km, but because of conditions it took about 6 hours!

For additional information see this site
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bear in mind also that frequently the highway is closed just after Lake Louise due to it being impassable at is it Roger's pass? (can't remember sorry) so you can only get as far as Field. The longest I've seen the highway closed is 36 hours but I'm sure it's been longer in cases... so you probably wouldn't want to leave it to the last minute to drive back to the airport!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the tips, we are used to driving in snow as we live off the beaten track up in the Peak District so hopefully once we have got used to driving on the other side of the road it should be OK.

Our current plans are to go to Lake Louise for a few days, then up to Jasper. After that we are thinking of doing a side trip to Edmonton to see some dogs going over jumps (our summer obsession) then back to Kicking Horse which will be a very long journey. We haven't yet decided whether to spend the next week there or go down to Fernie for a few days. Our flight home is at 8 in the evening and we were planning to leave either Kicking Horse or Fernie that morning, if it is very snowy should we consider going the day before, not that we will want to if it is snowy Very Happy .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're up at Kicking Horse yes! If the road is closed you'll be stuck! It might be worth making Edmonton your last stop as I know the highway is good from there down to Calgary. Not sure about Fernie, I know you won't get stuck on the LL road but as it's a good 2-3 hours off the trans-canada highway I can't comment on what that road is like.

Edmonton to KH shouldn't be that long bearing in mind that if the road isn't closed you *should* be able to do Edmonton - Calgary via KH & LL in around 6 hours.

As far as driving on the right is concerned, it's easy and as far as driving in the snow is concerned, I'd rather drive through canadian snow than an inch of british... the canadians do seem to know how to clear the road & treat it! Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The most dangerous part of driving the transcanada IMO is getting stuck in the tramlines in the tarmac made by heavy lorries. Not a lot yopu can do about that but drive sensibly.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anniegirl wrote:
to see some dogs going over jumps
????

Is that like a greyhound steeplechase?

The Icefields Parkway is pretty impressive; we did the whole of it (and back) in clear weather and as far as the Columbia Icefield in snow, without 4x4 IIRC, no problems; there are no seriously steep bits by European standards, and they plough/plow pretty effficiently. Obviously in prolonged heavy snow, it'll be difficult. I'd go for a 4x4, and check that you have chains (you almost certainly will have). It's a very easy day's drive.

The Columbia Icefield is just about worth a visit to break the journey, since you'll be passing. You can be taken onto the icefield in a bus with very large tyres.

When we stayed in Jasper we stopped overnight in Banff on the way back to Calgary, in case of bad weather and to avoid an early start.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy