Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fischer RX8 lenght advise please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I am from Holland and 27 years old. My weight is 172lbs and my length is 6,19 feet. I am planning to buy a pair of Fischer RX8. I thought that 170cm would be enough, but the salesman at the shop adviced me the 175cm RX8 (that would be chin height). He said that this cross skis must not be skied to short.

What is your opinion about this?

Robert
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
normally ski length should be between your nose and the top of your forehead but if the skis are wider then you would want to go shorter

i don't know how the snow is in holland and what your style of skiing is but the rx8's are great carvers so rule of thumb is the shorter the ski, the quicker the turns and the longer the ski, the faster you go but decreased turning ability
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My opinion about this is that this is one of those skis where skier's weight and choice of skiing terrain are more significant to choice of length than skier's height.

For me, 175cm at 200lbs and less than 6 feet and no moguls.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
robertv1979, you'll very much enjoy either one. The 170 will be a bit turnier and the 175 a bit more stable. But, at your weight, I'd lean towards the 170.

I'm 6' and 175 lbs and skied the RX8 in a 170 and a 165. The latter was snappier, but the former was a bit more stable at the high end of the speed range (50mph or so).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robertv1979, 175cmcm for me at 1.95m and 125 kg. I also skied the 170 for a couple of hours at the Mondial du ski and they were fine. I would ignore him when he says 170cm is too short.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
175 is my 1st instinct here but I don't know the ski. But as it isn't an out and out SL ski, I'd go bigger. 6ft and 170 doesn't add up to me unless you haven't skied much at all, IMV...just to confuse the issue, sorry.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plenty of good advice above. I am 90kg and 6ft+ on the 170. I see it as a short radius ski for on-piste. If you want a larger ski for other purposes, this may not be the best model for you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gosh .. good advice from experts.

I am 83kg (this week) , 1.80m ... a LOW- end older intermediate and I have 1.70m , shorter didn't suit my 'fun' choice. Hope this helps but I love the RX8 ( so far and only 2 days glacier use)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, Laughing Laughing Laughing Well, I should think that my 36 seasons, Level II PSIA, and Gold NASTAR pin should be worth something in the "skied much" category. Cool snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I', 6ft 3 and 190lb and ski the 175. Great to ski on at that length. I suspect you'd find it fine in either length
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1.93 84Kg I have the 1.75cm.

@Falanx, I don't think he'll be making much use of them in Holland, since it is as flat as a pancacke and the amount of snow is: Hardly any for most of the years Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy