Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge angle setting for Scott Missions.

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know the correct setting for my edge tool for tuning up my edges each day for Scott Missions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's on Scott's website as 89°
http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=8924&feature=customtech

But, but:
Quote:

Free yourself from the tyranny of the turn, don't be in servitude to sidecut, Just Go Straight!
whatcher need edges for, then? Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer, I had a brand new pair in the other day belonging to kitenski. I'd checked in advance & was advised that they were 1,1.

Upon checking, the base angle was an extremely consistent 1 degree but the side edge angle was a bit inconsistent - definately well over 1 degree & pretty much on bang on 2 degree in a number of spots. I'd certainly tune them to 1,2 - if ya tune 'em to 1,1 you might as well stay with ya B2's wink.

Have you got them yet & when are you going away? If you've an hour to spare then whizz them around & I'll give the edges a quick polish & the bases a wax.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, You can do the marker pen test by blackening out a couple of inches of edge & just using the Edge Trick tool gently on first 1 & then 2 degrees & see which setting removes the pen mark across the full width of the edge. Don't forget to lube the stone.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer, Oh yes, on kitenski's Mission's there was a noticeable hanging burr on the edge from the factory tune that needed gummi stoning off Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, was the 1/2 more noticeable underfoot than elsewhere?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex wrote:
spyderjon, was the 1/2 more noticeable underfoot than elsewhere?

From the tip the side edge was 1 degree from the contact point for about 6/8" & then blended in to 2 degree for the rest of the ski length, tapering back to 1 degree over the last 6/8" of the tail.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, you perceive that I'm wondering whether that is actually intentional with the dual radius sidecut, sort of like old-style-mogul-ski tuning. 6-8" on a 175 cm looks to put it right at the drop of the terminal n in Mission, which is there the "nose/Pre Track (TM)" starts?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, I follow your thinking but if that's true then their website info is bollox. I often see new skis with at least half a degree variance along their length (base & side edge) so I think it's more like manufacturing tolerances, afterall any extra cost spent getting the angles right after the ski is made is straight off the bottom line. For example, Salomon quote 1,1 but their tech manual says anything up to 1.5,1.5 is acceptable Shocked. I thought the very noticeable hanging burr on the Missions was pretty poor though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers guys
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have they arrived?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, interesting - you view matches that of the Stöckli guy the other night. He was saying for recreational purposes (i.e. anything other than WC racing) 88 side and 1 base is the most useful setting as it gives good grip without wearign too fast and that's basically what they put on everything.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eng_ch, my skis are all 1,3 which is the Atomic factory set-up on all their skis, inc their fats. I was taught by an ex Volkl WC tuner & his recommendation was a 3 degree on everything - even though Volkl ship there skis with a 2 degree edge. In his experience a 3 didn't wear any faster than a 2 which I agree with as Deb's skis are set to 2 degrees, get the same use as mine & don't show any more wear.

Interesting what your Stockli guy say's re their angles as I've base prepped two new pairs of XL's & a new pair of Laser's lately that all had a 3 degree side angle.

One of the tech's on Epic came out with a good one the other day - "ask five tech's the same question & you'll get six different answers - & all eight of them are right" Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got thin race edges on a pair of mine, and I can promise you that over a season a 3 side does wear away noticably quicker (on the basis that it loses it's sharpness quicker and therefore I tune more often) than the race edge pair that I keep to 2 side Laughing

When fresh out of the wrapper, I quite like the 1,1 factory tune of the Head skis.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, I used that 87* guide on my SL skis the other evening at Cas. Hard to be too sure, as it was my first outing since September, but I think they are a wee bit grippier as a result.

I think I'll keep to that 1/3 on those skis and 1/2 on everything else.
snow report
veeeight, Are you filing or just diamond stoning? Filing removes waaay to much metal.
snow report
spyderjon, Moonflex wink
snow report
veeeight wrote:
spyderjon, Moonflex wink

Ah, simply the best Cool
snow conditions
Even better if they fitted into my base guide.
ski holidays
marc gledhill, That's what happens if you go Toko Laughing. Easily sorted for the price of beer wink
snow conditions
spyderjon, really?
latest report
marc gledhill, just file down the plastic sides of your Moonflex's until they fit. The Moonflex's are 26mm wide & need to be reduced to 23mm for a nice fit in the Toko WC base guide. The actual diamond files are bonded to the plastic backing so don't worry if the plastic sides get a bit thin.

Alternatively for the price of many beers I could mill out your Toko guide wink.
snow report
I'll get me rasp.
ski holidays
spyderjon, OK, that plastic is pretty hard - do you fancy milling out that toko guide?
snow report
marc gledhill, just logged on in Tignes (NehNeh) & seen your post. I'll be in touch when I'm back.
snow conditions
Jammy git.

Hope Debs and yorself enjoy it. Mr. Green
ski holidays
just about to give my Missions the once over prior to Engelberg in a few weeks, did you tune Kramers to 1,2 spyderjon?

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
kitenski, unlike your Mission's Kramer's were 0.5,1 & he was happy with them at that so I did just a light polish on the existing base edge (a couple of passes with 600 & 1500grit Moonflex's) & then polished the existing side edge (a couple of passes with 100, 200, 400, 600 & 1500grit Moonflex's) & then deburred.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ok, I think you said mine were between 1 and 2 on the side, do you reckon I should do the side edge with 1 or 2??

Wished I didn't ask now Wink

regards,

Greg
snow report
kitenski, I'd do them 2.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy