Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yellow/Black runs

Poster: A snowHead
What does it mean when a run is marked as yellow/black dashed Puzzled

ie columbine in breckenridge? http://breckenridge.snow.com/media/swf/trailmap/2006-07_Trailmap.jpg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mind your head?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bio-hazzard from salopette leakage.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yellow and black in Europe usually means an itinerary route (examples being Tortin or Gentianes in Verbier). Not sure if it means the same in the US. From memory Columbine in Breck was a blue-black at the top becoming a blue last time I was there (four years ago?)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NO ENTRY, BEES AT WORK !!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Beware of lifted manhole covers. If there's a little red and white stripey tent near it you can get a cup of tea from a bloke in council trousers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avalanche risk 3 ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Barbara, where are you?? Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hobbiteater, that sor tof thin usually 'itinerary', but in the case of Breckenridge, it means 'cat track'. Columbine is a pretty flat but skiable cat track going from Peak 8 to Peak 7 (no romantic 'Aiguille de Quelquechose' in Colorado, no siree), with some quite interesting runs dropping off it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
richmond,

it seams to be the only access to peak 7 - is that right?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Intineraire, it may be patrolled and is an open and known route, but not marked as a piste or pisted. You should look at the dfinition explained by the resort. Most do this on the piste map. I wouldn't assume all routes were operated the same way... take it resort by resort.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, i've yet to see a key on an online breck pistemap. Hence my question...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hobbiteater,

hhmmm, I should have said Europe.....

I remember A-basin making a huge fuss over this as we passed by the marker... it wasn't gated then.
I wouldn't expect the US to be the same.... as off-piste is off-piste over here...you go entirely at your own risk in the conditions as you find them, they may or may not have blasted the area and only because a slope might have a tendancy to slide not because it has any relavance to the area being open or not....confusing, I know
The interaries over here should have a patrol in case of emergencies but that is it.
Not current with the US definitions...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In this case it means cat track or flat traverse I think. I think I've seen yellow/black hashed areas on US lift maps that mean terrain parks or slow zones.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've just looked at my hard copy Breckenridge piste map - the yellow black thing is defined as a Catwalk.
As far as I remember Colombine wasn't too flat for skiers as long as you got up speed where possible but some boarders were having to walk a bit.
If you do go the Breckenridge one of the nicer areas was up in the trees on Peak 8 - top of Lift 6 and a long traverse to the left. Some of the chutes between trees are way beyond my ability but if you keep traversing the last couple of routes down would be classified as blue in Europe. It was very quiet up there as I think a lot of people are put off by the very steep bits that can be seen from the lift and obviously don't want to end up at the end of the traverse and be faced with a gully that is beyond their ability.
snow report
hobbiteater wrote:
richmond,

it seams to be the only access to peak 7 - is that right?

I think it is, except for from above, from the unpisted Peak 7 bowl, although there may be access through the trees from the right hand run on Peak 8, Claim Jumper. There's no road access to the bottom of the Peak 7 lift, SFAIK (although there must be something for maintenance, I'd have thought).

Peak 7 is quite jolly for a few runs, blue rollers. The unpisted Ore Bucket area at the rh side is quite good fun
latest report
colin_g wrote:
one of the nicer areas was up in the trees on Peak 8 - top of Lift 6 and a long traverse to the left. Some of the chutes between trees are way beyond my ability but if you keep traversing the last couple of routes down would be classified as blue in Europe. It was very quiet up there as I think a lot of people are put off by the very steep bits that can be seen from the lift and obviously don't want to end up at the end of the traverse and be faced with a gully that is beyond their ability.

Do you mean the runs off to the left of Lift 6 as you look at the map? I spent a great morning there after a big dump, mainly on my arse.
latest report
richmond wrote:

....a big dump, mainly on my arse.

You should move around a bit more so the snow doesn't settle snowHead Laughing Laughing
latest report
Red Leon, I started moving again when I found a piste basher driving up the small of my back.
snow report
richmond, Yes, follow the traverse shown by the big arrow and take your choice of any one of the dozen routes down.
I was skiing with a friend who only had a week or so under his belt. He couldn't quite get the hang of distributing his weight on the traverse in deep snow and so ended up following existing ruts left by previous skiers. This worked fine until we came to the bit in the middle where there are some small trees and he had one ski in each of two previous skiers' separate tracks. I know you shouldn't find mirth in the misfortune of others but I was laughing so much it took me about 10minutes to walk back the 50m or so to extricate him from the small tree which he had his legs wrapped around. (You'll all be pleased to know that the tree didn't seem to suffer any permanent damage).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy