Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

sierra nevada spain for a couple days

Poster: A snowHead
am going to granada for a week in feb 07 and thought it would be good to try and get in a couple of days skiing in sierra nevada but strugggling to find much info on the resort any info anyone might have would be great especially with regards to getting there in hire car,do i need snow chains etc, what is the skiing like,i am only reaaly used to canadian skiing conditions
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you avoid weekends, it can be a nice experience with all the resort open. Depending of the previous days weather, you could find some powder or the more usual spring conditions (yes in February). Sierra Nevada is big enough for a week and probably one the sunniest resorts in Europe, although with some strong winds problems. You will find the best ski in the "Laguna de las Yeguas" long red pistes and some off piste in the sides. About the chains, who knows, the chances of big dump are low but is better to have them in the car. You'll find there a very lively night life or better in Granada only 30km down. http://www.sierranevadaski.com/home
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Everything I try to click on in that website, my comuter says "Safari can not open that Page"
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
im thinking about popping over fr a long weekend at easter,i know it is due to shut about that time for snowboardng
ive got a place near malaga to stay and a spanish car anytime i want but would possibly stay in granada as its a 2hr drive

is it still open in easter?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was there 23 years ago in February, then again ten years ago, my son (now 29) and my late partner learned to ski there--a lovely resort for beginners AND intermediates, we stayed in the Hotel Sierra Nevada which has sauna and swimming pool and excellent food....People are very friendly, I even bought my present beloved Nordica skiboots in one of the shops, as my luggage containing my old ones went missing on arrival at Malaga airport...Now Ryanair flies to Granada, which must be more convenient, I'd love to go back again-- if any of you SnowHeads are heading there, let me know! Blush
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied there a few times over the last two years and I love the place. It is totally different, it isn't big, but then it doesn't pretend to be. It is an honest, good, fun resort with some great facilities.

It certainly isn't a North American resort so please don't try and compare it to that. I love ski-ing in Canada, North America, Italy etc., but I also love the Sierra Nevada and will ski there for many years to come.

I skied just after Easter in 2004 and had some awesome snow conditions - they stayed open that year until the beginning of May, could have easily stayed open longer than that. I skied there last January and the snow wasn't great, but they had done a superb job with artificial snow.

Would certainly echo the point about avoiding weekends and any special holidays.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for the info we have now decided to stay in granada and travel up and back for two days in the week to miss the weekend crowds,thanks again
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NEILSKI, we spent the weekend in Granada and went skiing on the Monday and Tuesday. We had the best of both worlds - a weekend and the nightlife in town and relatively quiet skiing in the week.

I recommend the old part of town for a good walk and if you climb up the hill a bit you get a great view of Sierra Nevada on a clear day with the Alhambra inbetween. Also, the Alhambra is stunning and well worth a visit.

Parking is fairly tricky in Granada so go for a hotel with parking.

We found that our very limited Spanish language knowledge was fairly well tested in restaurants and bars. It was great though muddling our way through a menu, but looking typically British I expect rolling eyes! Our phrase book was useful. Some places automatically gave us an English menu so my 'Good Evening' in Spanish must have been that bad! You'll be fine buying a lift pass and getting skis sorted using English though.

Skiing wise, head over to the red runs on the right hand side (as you face the ski area). These were reasonably long and quiet runs. I don't know how you are with altitude but it goes up to 3,200 metres at the top of these red runs and I almost nodded off on the lift towards the end of the day! But I'm sure I was just tired!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hayles, thanks for that have just booked two nights at the allambra palace hotel(with parking)so we can get two full days skiing and two full nights out then back to the coast for another couple of days golf,do you need photos for lift passes in sierra nevada
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NEILSKI, no photos, at least we didn't 3 years ago. The Alhambra Palace Hotel looked nice.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NEILSKI wrote:
do you need photos for lift passes in sierra nevada

If you want a phone rechargable skipass you need to register in the website and send electronically the photo http://www.cetursa.com/club , you will get a 10% discount in the first charge. If you get the skipass at the resort no photo needed.
Some spanish will help Laughing

Saludos
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went there 20 years ago.

I was young, dumb and mostly drunk a lot.

Not the biggest resort i heve skiied nor the most interesting - though that was 20 years ago!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mucho gracias senor spaniard will just get a pass in resort
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
neilski ski there every year for the past 6 years its very good sometimes a bit windy its about 30 mins drive to the resort i love it there if you email me on jasonadele4@hotmail.com i will let you know all the details that you need to know Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been there on a couple occasions and it isnt too big but its fun for a couple of days. And oooh yes... it can be pretty packed on the weekends. Having to avoid snowboard and skiing newbies can be fun though... I always tend to turn away in the last minute but then again thats me.
snow report
I'm taking a chance and heading up to the Sierra Nevada for a weekend later this month with a friend.

I booked a room at the Hostal Yeti which is half way up the mountain. On reflection (and after reading a few reviews) I was wondering if this is a wise choice.

I presume all the main bars & restaurants are at the foot of the mountain. If we were to apres ski there how easy is it to get up the mountain and back to the hostal? Is it walkable? Are there taxis??

Also, will we be able to get passes and ski gear half way up the mountain (near the hostal) or is that all located at the bottom where most of the facilities seem to be?

The hostal staff only speak Spanish so I haven't been able to get any info from them.

Thanks in advance for any feed back on the above.

Regards

Patrick
snow report
ski there every year for the past 6 years its very good sometimes a bit windy its about 30 mins drive to the resort as we stay in Granada i love it there if you email me on jasonadele4@hotmail.com i will let you know all the details that you need to know snowHead
snow report
off there for a 3 days 25th feb with 7 mates Laughing
ski holidays
Hi,

Could anyone recommend where to get snow socks or snow chains on the way from Malaga airport to Sierra Nevada ?
The rental company doesn't supply them even as extras - what I was told Sad
Do gas stations sell them ?
Snow is on forecast Friday night / Sat morning and I would rather buy them then get stuck somewhere or get turned around by police and loose day of skiing.
snow report
There is a Carrefour supermarket, Ctra. de Armilla, s/n, 18006 Granada, Spain.Fairly near to the mountain road to Borreguilles they stock them. The further up the mountain you go the more they cost. If there is snow higher up on the road you can get stopped by police if you don't have chains/snow tyres. Ask for Cadenas de nieve.
snow report
thanks for the reply. Carrefour opens only at 9:00 am. I will use them as last resort.
Any chance to get them on the major petrol stations or motorway services that are open 24h ?
latest report
Possible, but as I haven't seen them myself couldn't guarantee.
snow conditions
Wow. A 13-year-old thread bumped with a question, and an accurate reply in less than an hour. I'm impressed.
snow report
figured it is not worth a new topic
I will post an update tomorrow how it went with getting snow socks at the petrol stations near Granada !
snow conditions
Cygnus wrote:

It's always worth a new topic!

It makes possible for others to find it.
snow report
Chains and snow socks were available at major petrol stations round Granada. The one just outside the city before the climb to sierra nevada had good selection of sizes. We ended not buying chains as I've received text message that the road is clear from my mates in the 2nd car with snow socks· Our car has been grounded in the car park for 24h - at 18 euro cost as it was snowing intensively for about a day but I was happy skiing at this time rather than worrying about a car.
Roads of the resort were mayhem as many cars arrived before snow fall and were trying to drive without snowchains or snowsocks and were getting stuck.
We had a powder day which is always a bonus - downside - queues to the ski lifts.
snow report
abc wrote:
Cygnus wrote:

It's always worth a new topic!

It makes possible for others to find it.

FWIW I don't follow that logic.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy