Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next week - not so bad

brian
brian
The models have largely backed off setting up another hairdryer style foehn. Now looks that high pressure will sit mainly to the NE of the alps. Daytime freezing levels shouldn't get much above 2000m (I guess inversions are a distinct possibility as well so lower slopes might actually be colder) and nights have a decent chance of being clear and frosty.

No really cold weather on the horizon yet though. Confused
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Brian, As much i enjoy followiing yours and carled reports, you loose me when you talk about foehn and inversions wink

Basically no new snow due and temp rising, thats waht seem to be the trend on the website around

Seems nothing new unitl 20th Dec ish, hopefully in time for the people who are in the Christmas get away to the Alps club, which i am one of those "slightly worried" club members this year
ski holidays
 brian
brian
CrowJersey,

So am I Confused

Foehn = warm dry wind.

Inversion = temps opposite to normal, warm higher up, colder lower down. It happens in still conditions when cold air sinks and there's no wind to mix it around. Leads to all those "above the clouds" type photos.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
15-20cm yesterday in Stowe Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, Saw a great example of an inversion down in the Isere valley last Christmas. It had been quite sunny and relatively warm up at Val, around -2 from memory, but as we drove down the road toward Bourg St Maurice, the car thermometer started to plummet and at the bottom down by the river it was -13. beautiful crisp frost on all the trees - very pretty. I guess you are right about the still air, there wasn't a breath of wind.

Forecast for next week is looking less warm thatn it was so here's hoping tonights forecast dump sticks around Madeye-Smiley Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CrowJersey, me too. Tignes 19th - 26th. Not worried though, there's always the prospect of a few genepi, and some nice fondue to cheer me up! Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MeteoSwiss (as interpreted by WRG) were forecasting up to a metre in some places over the weekend.

Chamonix is forecasting a little more like 10-30cms in town, but it's a start.

It is filthy outside my office right now...

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

you loose me when you talk about foehn and inversions

Just remember that in some parts the local name for the foehn wind is "snow eater" and you get the picture.....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For the glass half-full people;

The last few GFS runs seem to be tending in the right direction temperature-wise. Next week, still warmer than average but not quite as extreme as they originally plotted-the week after, colder than first thought.
Still loads of scatter-que sera sera.

Am in Courchevel 1650 on 16 Dec-so if anyone's out there next week, I'd be grateful for a 'heads-up'!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We've just had a localised almost hurricane - evidently it was a gentle breeze over at the station 10-15 minutes' walk away. Our neighbours have a glass-topped table on their balcony and the glass just blew into our garden, landed on a corner then tipped over, taking a huge chunk out of the lawn - but remained totally intact!

Can vouch for the presence of Föhn this morning - 20 deg in our garden - but the clouds are coming in now and temp seems to be dropping

We're at 640m btw
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch, you have teh same ferns as our chalet!

snowing in the valley in serre che that is 1400 (where i am anyway!) but it looks like its snowing down to briancon which is 1200m
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I want to see pictures of snowing!!

Please... snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I looked at Les arcs looks quite a promising weekend with some cold weather and snow
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom Lowe wrote:
I looked at Les arcs looks quite a promising weekend with some cold weather and snow

It started snowing in Les Arcs about an hour ago; a moderate amount. Snowline down to about 1700m, and temps are falling.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PICTURES ! NOW !
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
www.arc1950.com click on webcam et voila!
snow report
is that white stuff on the ground snow? No footprints....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yep and its duping in saisies/hautluce... snowHead snowHead
snow report
Quote:

its duping

no kidding? wink
snow conditions
Frosty wrote:
PICTURES ! NOW !

Your wish, etc...

snow report
loving the pictures....!! Laughing

Stumbled across this, the pop-ups over the snowflakes make satisfying reading.... http://meteoalerte.com/france/
latest report
rob@rar, can you nip down to the road, write snowheads in the snow and then post another photo?
snow conditions
Arc 1950 - 3pm 8/12/06 and 7am 9/12/06 snowHead
snow conditions
les carroz http://www.webcam-ski.com/webcams/interfaces/carroz/interface.php?r=panoramique_HD
ski holidays
Snow line def down to 700m when we got up this morning and the rain here at 640m is just turning into sleet Very Happy The temp is dropping as we go through the day
snow report
FenlandSkier wrote:
rob@rar, can you nip down to the road, write snowheads in the snow and then post another photo?

Your wish, etc...

Not quite "snowHeads" written in the snow, but I did do "sH" followed by a snow angel. Bit difficult to see because the light is quite flat, but here's the photos (click on images for full size):

snow report
Well ive held off long enough! Ive got the week before Xmas off and have been waiting for the white stuff to fall before deciding on the resort.
Question is, St Anton or Val Disere? Any advice as to the most likely to see white would be muchos appreciated. Puzzled
snow report
Val D'Isere
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, Laughing nice one
latest report
Forgot to say welcome to Snowheads, Nicksterrr. Val D'Isere and Tignes should have done v well from the recent snow, as well as all the stuff which fell as rain lower down earlier this week and there is a vast choice. I don't know St Anton but other threads have suggested that some of the best territory in St Anton doesn't open till shortly before Christmas, even when the snow is OK. I'm not an Espace Killy fan, but it's where I'd head the week before Christmas! Have fun. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Thanks, was swaying toward Val, however if both had poor snow it was going to be a decision on the best Apres Ski and from what I hear there would be one Austrian winner there Smile
ski holidays
Nicksterrr,
Welcome to snowHead 's
As a matter of interest why choose between Val d'I and St A the steeper stuff usually needs better coverage so you probably won't be getting any more challenging skiing for your buck and somewhere like Ischgl sounds like it may have better snow than either.
snow report
Hmm may look into Ischgl, cant say I know it, though am used to the French and Italian resorts so Austria all new to me.
Thanks
snow report
Nicksterrr, Val/Tignes are looking good today, checkout the webcams thread.
ski holidays
AxsMan,
They might be looking good but the depth is not great 35 cm upper slopes in Val according to their web site, which is not a lot as a fair bit of the terrain is rocky I believe. Ischgl is not a whole lot better actually at 50cm on the upper slopes with maybe a bit more predicted they have 65km of piste open though.
latest report
Nicksterrr, why go to Val Despair? We've had loads more snow and there are £99 deals going at the moment. No problem skiing from 2,000m up to 3,600m. We had around 15 in town the other day - my friend in Val said they had 5! + Our glacier is about 3 times the size of theirs! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
easiski, Now I know you are a trained professional, and probably have pretty strong legs, but even for you, skiing from 2000m UP to 3,600m would surely be a bit tiring. Isn't that what you have lifts for? Shocked Laughing

Joking aside, £99 deals hmmm that's tempting, might be worth trying to sneak in another quick week in January if they are still going Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
brian wrote:
CrowJersey,

So am I Confused

Foehn = warm dry wind.

Inversion = temps opposite to normal, warm higher up, colder lower down. It happens in still conditions when cold air sinks and there's no wind to mix it around. Leads to all those "above the clouds" type photos.

Inversions:

Logic would tell us that the warm air should rise but we have to take into account where the heat source is.
Obviously it is the sun but the sun's rays barely warm the air; instead they play on the earth's surface and warm the ground which by conduction warms the air; so the heating starts at the ground and is then lost back to space, giving rise to a drop in temperature of 6.49 C per 1000m (in free air).
Most inversions occur when there is a fog which stops the sun's rays reaching the earth and also acts as a cap on the cold air at the ground.
The visible "fog" is not always present but can be just a very humid layer some 100's of metres above the ground.
ski holidays
Flims/Laax is reporting 70 cm at 2200m and 115 cm on the glacier at 3000m Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy