Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you choose your holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
For me, I look at several things:

Price: <£350.00 H/B

Altitude: Village at 1500m with top lift of at least 2800m (Unless in Austria)

Area: usually 100km piste or greater.

I have never looked through the brochure and picked my dream holiday as it usually comes down to price first for me. Would love to ski somewhere in the Dolomites like Selva, but I just can't find any good deals from Belfast or even Dublin.

Just looked at Teletext and there are some amazing deals to be had if you live near any of the big UK airports. Best I saw was a 3* H/B to Austria for £179.00 for January!!!!

I find that when I am looking for good deals the same places come up again and again:

Passo Tonale
Arinsal
Pas de la casa
Soll
Sauze d'oux etc
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Decide first whether we want to ski somewhere new, or somewhere familiar. If the former, choose at random from the (long) list of classic resorts we've never visited. If we decide to fly, it could be anywhere, if we are driving, then it'll usually be France. Then, try to find a good self-catering chalet via the internet. That's about it!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For me its the people that will be there, the price, ease of travel, and finally the technical aspects of the resort. I'm a social critter by habit
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Choose a resort generally accepted to be among the top 30 or so in the world. Make sure it is high enough for the time of year I plan to visit. Check if I have been before. Then, see if I can get there and back within my budget.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnboy, looking for a last minute for a family of 4 , in a resort with loads of snow, was how we ended up in Serre Chevalier for the first time. Accommodation was les than £200 each, plus 2 free places for the kids, although we did have to fly from Manchester. We tried once we had 2 holidays in a season to ski somwhere familiar for one, and a last minute to somewhere new, with the best snow. Serre Che had more snow than nearly everywhere else that Easter (over 3m at the top, and still skiing on good snow down to the village, despite the warmer weather.), and it was a bargain. So much so that Julian bought his first pair of skis.
Our criteria have changed over the years, from free kids places, child care, and a good ski school (La Plagne, La Rosiere,etc), to nice villages, good slopes, good company.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
independent traveller and internet junkie so generally find places online, do plenty of research, book locally to chop a significant amount of cost out, chuck a eurotunnel crossing on the front, load a car up and off u go. Similarly when we have headed over the pond too.

Depending where you go and when you can generally make mahoosive savings against an equivalent holiday in a brochure. snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With young kids, at the moment tend to go where we know in terms of nursery, ski school, accomodation, restaurant etc. Of course we also have to book up early to ensure we get nursery places. When they're a few years older hope to be able to book last minute not have to worry so much about childcare arrangements.

Still that's the price of having kids - not complaining I hasten to add, just the way it is for us at moment
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I need a resort with trees! Gladed skiing is the best! snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Who with, when, where, which chalet/operator
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Generally, I like places that are high and French with a big ski area... and cheap!

So far - Tignes, Les Arcs, Val Thorens... all last minute deals, all fab snowHead

I keep wondering if I should be more adventurous and branch out into other countries, or risk lower resorts, but I'm haunted by a holiday to Sauze D'Oulx in January 05 which was arranged by a friend. Far too much trekking up and down the hill in ski boots to get to the lifts, and far too many icy mornings and slushy afternoons for my liking...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Choice of ski school is a big factor for me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went to Sauze in Jan 05 as well, since then I've been to Les Arcs, Tignes & Val Thorens. Are we related?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If it's Easter it's got to be Val Thorens Toofy Grin

Other slot in the year we try to go for a bit of a range - going to Italy next year - on the grounds we haven't been there and it sounds like the scenery is spectacular. If I was going Christmas / New Year I'd tend to go for as snow sure resort as I could find.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow reliability/quality
Have I been before (I like to try at least 2 new resorts every year)
The company (i.e. what people will be there)
How busy is it (if the slopes are quiet, I don't need a big resort to get away from the crowds)
Overall cost (including spendies)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anywhere that is not over crowded, over developed, full of "below average" intermediates skiers, snowbladers and fools who litter the pistes and streets.

But i'm off to France twice this year, so i'll just have to bite my lip and get on with it. wink
latest report
Usually i've ended up going where my mates/parents/work are going, so have never really had the "decision" to make. However last April, I found myself with this problem.

I had to be in Zell am See for the 1st week, and had to be in Val Thorens for the last.....so what to do inbetween. I armed myself with "Where to ski and snowboard" and a copy of the latest snow reports, and drove where I fancied.

It was fun!!!!
snow conditions
Whatever place admin has booked is fine by me...... wink

Seriously....we tend to go for non-standard lengths of time so independent travel and local hotels are the way for us. As for resort - snow reliability is a big factor and grading of slopes to match whoever we're going with is the big thing rather than mileage. So higher proportion of blues if we're off with learners and tougher slopes if it's just us two. Ideally somewhere with a local feel rather than a big mega resort....but if it's got snow, slopes and somewhere to kip I'll be happy!
snow conditions
Depends on the trip. First trip this year, 3 of us did a last minute week in Deux Alpes because there was snow there (and it was a really good deal). Second trip was 2 weeks with several friends in a chalet in Les Arcs - booked well in advance, the choice was primarily because most of us wanted to go to Les Arcs specifically.
This season, I'll be driving out for a month with my brother, staying for 2 weeks in La Plagne and 2 weeks in Morzine. There are various reasons for both but mostly it's down to range of skiing in 2 resorts we've never been to.
snow conditions
Snowy wrote:
I need a resort with trees! Gladed skiing is the best! snowHead

Great point. A resort must have trees. They look good, and offer top skiing. Treeless stations like Alpe d'Huez and Tignes lack character and are quite frightful.
snow report
Quote:

Treeless stations like Alpe d'Huez and Tignes lack character and are quite frightful

Alpe d'Huez had trees last time I was there Puzzled
snow conditions
Caspar wrote:
Quote:

Treeless stations like Alpe d'Huez and Tignes lack character and are quite frightful

Yes, in Vaujany, but almost none in ADH. It is a dreadful, soulless moonscape.
snow report
And Auris and other parts. Point taken tho - just hanging on to the pedant baton Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Plan 15 months in advance for a room that will take five. Book. Worry about how it will be paid for. snowHead

Might try DIYing soon with a small chalet...
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Caspar wrote:
Quote:

Yes, in Vaujany, but almost none in ADH. It is a dreadful, soulless moonscape.

It's interesting how different people view the same thing, personally I LOVE skiing above the tree-line on the really high slopes. It feels like you are skiing on top of the world, the air can be so clear and crisp and it's so bright. I prefer that to "Blair Witch Project" tree skiing!!
snow conditions
I like to go where I hope the snow will be good. Low season I will often book late. With family I usually book well in advance looking for cheapish prices and somewhere with a reasonable snow record. I prefer traditional style resorts, though often will go purpose built if that is where the snow and deals are. I generally prefer low altitude resorts to higher ones, but like to see a reasonable altitude in the ski area if booking in advance.
If looking at trees v non trees I like to have both, trees for stormy weather and open bowls for sunny weather.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy