Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Radar

brian
brian
Watch the snow arrive in glorious technicolour Very Happy

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yep gotta love that haven't you snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, I am intrigued are you a 'keen amateur weather watcher', or do you work in weather? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 brian
brian
boredsurfin, just an amateur, I have a secret double life writing embedded software Cool Obviously, I have to fit that in between model runs wink

It's a hectic life Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian,
Quote:

embedded software

Shocked My virus checker normally throws that sort of thing away, wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, as a very keen but very amateur weather watcher I was just wondering what weather websites you favour for current Alpine conditions? I'm most interested in Verbier as we have a season rental there. The webcams are OK but for example all you can see today is a whiteout with no indication of precipitation levels. Whenever I want to get a picture of what is happening when I go flying I can do this through METARs but there is only Sion airport in the vicinity which doesn't generally translate well to the mountain conditions.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BGA, check the sticky thread with all sorts of links to useful sites and explanations on howto read them.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
BGA, I'm not sure how to access METAR data, (apart from http://mobile.wunderground.com/global/stations/03041.html which is Aonach Mor) but if you can, then there's a weather station at Les Attelas above Verbier, the METAR id is 06723.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, BGA, the MetO website have an aviation section that provides access to TAFs and METARS. It's free but subscription required (there's also a paid for section as well, but I don't use that one). But plenty of websites out there show METARs. The XCWeather mainly plots METARs (though not exclusively, I think).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NOAA supply Metar Data without registration here
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Unfortunately all the sites only seem to provide METAR info if you have the ICAO code, and not the WMO six digit code. The automated site at Les Attelas only has a WMO ident and so I can't seem to find a site that publishes current observations from it. Closet METAR I can get is at Sion airport (where it is currently M06 by the way - sounds good for snow!). Might spend some time googling this evening to see if I can get any joy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, METAR is an airfield only report.

It's not on this list (for 1600), but it does publish AWS reports. It may not do hourly reports though so may appear at other times.
MeteoSchweiz only seem to list it for wind data.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I love that animation. Look at the great splurge of precipitation bearing down on the Northern French Alps and Switzerland right now! snowHead

Let's hope it's cold enough. Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian,

Must be global warming - it gets stuck just about on the border and then retreats! Confused
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
simonmj66, it's respecting Switzerland's neutrality. wink
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
skanky, no acid rain there then. rolling eyes Very Happy
ski holidays
laundryman, nor any drunkard's support phone number: The Alcy-Line.

Ahem. Neutral
latest report
skanky, laundryman,

wish I hadn't started this - i wonder if its all still quiet on the wesnow front
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
grab a coffee sit back and watch it start approaching snowHead
ski holidays
skinutter wrote:
grab a coffee sit back and watch it start approaching snowHead

Yes enjoy it last snowfall for a while looking at the week ahead

looks like nothing until the 21st

I hope the experts will put me right, i'm getting a little nervous for Christmas week
snow conditions
CrowJersey, where are you off to at Christmas?

We're off to Vallandry and as far as I can tell from various reports, here, websites etc there will be some skiing at least. Just may be impossible to ski back to lower villages.

can cope with that - all my early ski holidays in the 80s involved bus journeys to find vaguely skiable areas
ski holidays
Very windy in N France as LP moves through. Bringing warm air up at the moment, but cooler air should be behind, before the HP builds over the weekend.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/?Loc=FR
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's been snowing all morning in Les Arcs, currently coming down quite heavily. Curiously the MeteoSwiss radar shows no precipitation in the Savoie area (it's not shown any all morning). How reliable is the radar?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
rob@rar, I was wondering that myself. It's still snowing on the top Grimentz cam but looks to have stopped on the radar. Maybe there are "holes" in the coverage behind some of the mountains ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy