Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

its falling in France...

Poster: A snowHead
looks like its white above 1900m currently with snow falling snowHead

http://www.trinum.com/ibox/saisies/Images/webcamISDN1.jpg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurrah - just checked the Webcams for peisey-vallandry and there is snow falling up top there as well
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The snowfalls mostly look quite modest on the webcams this Weds morning. It is raining below 2000m in many places. Val d'Isere (1800m) looks messy. It is drenched in Zermatt (1600m), Meribel (1500m) and Chamonix (1100m). Austria has little or no new snow. St Anton (1400m) remains dry. Saalbach (1000m) is still 6c at 2100m.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yep, it;s not thigh deep but it beats that brown grass snowHead If they do get a reasonable depth at least they could bash it to try and preserve it against they predicted warm weather following next week. Pisted snow will resist rain/warm much better than if just left....plus hopefully it will be cool enough to run some cannons too
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sorry dont mean to put a downer on it, but its been white above 1900m for the last few weeks, its the lower sloaps that have the problem, esp as there are no cannons in use as its too warm
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i know what you mean, Les Saisies which is where I am off to on 13th Jan for two weeks has had nothing on its slopes since the mini dump on the 22nd November and the lift range is 1150m to 2069m so I am praying that with the predicted dip in temperatures following this front that they will be able to fire some of the cannons up but who knows. At least is the snowline descends to 1650 it'll be back to resort level which i am sure it will
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skinutter, It needs a fair depth to run the machines or they just chew up the ground underneath. If that's pasture, that's some farmer's living in summer and if it's graded and stony then they just bring the stones to the surface.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good News - Dumping in La Tania (1400m) right now 2:30pm. Looks like it's snow well below resort too. The doom-mongers will be upset...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, I've just had an email form Eurekaski. The snowline above Monetier is down to about 1800m
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The doom-mongers will be upset...

Not if it melts next week!

BTW wouldn't describe myself as doom-monger, I fall into the hopelessly optomistic group, just trying to guess likely response
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Not if the predicted heat wave comes along next week they won't - but I don't know why skinutter is bothered when he's not out there till mid January. There'll be plenty by then.
The only people permitted to get even a bit bothered at the moment are the Christmas crowd. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, I am no longer convinced about a further mild spell. So much has changed in the last two days that I think this fall may stick around and be this years base.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
micksup, it remains to be seen, but I'm almost certain you're wrong. It'll start getting warmer throughout the day tomorrow and by Friday it will be pretty mild again. Sat/Sun/Mon currently looking promising, but late Mon/into Tue it's gonna heat up once more... Very vague possibility of a brief cold spell mid to late next week, but very fleeting and then back to warmth again until (I'd say) sometime around the 20th... That, to me, looks like the start of the mild weather pattern breakdown... fingers crossed!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled, Arrive in Tignes on 19th, hope you're a couple of days late with your cold spell prediction! Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Not if the predicted heat wave comes along next week they won't - but I don't know why skinutter is bothered when he's not out there till mid January. There'll be plenty by then.
The only people permitted to get even a bit bothered at the moment are the Christmas crowd. Very Happy

i shouldn't be bothered.....but i am snowHead
ski holidays
AxsMan, there's every chance! It's a long way off and things can change. Just going on what I've been watching for the last week or so really. Fingers crossed for you.
ski holidays
carled, Cheers Very Happy Oh and I WAS joking about April on the other thread BTW Laughing
snow report
I'm out on the 15th and I would be Sad but even if theres no snow theres a bar and its better than being in work woot Very Happy
snow conditions
Sandy77uk, that's the best attitude to take. My worst day in the mountains will always be better than my best day at work. Very Happy
ski holidays
Kramer, exactly.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Seconded (or should that be thirded Very Happy)
ski holidays
Sandy77uk, hello gorgeous! fancy seeing you here! good job you didn't come here babe, but if you had of we'd have spent all day on the lauteret hiking or sessioning the picnic table liam and i session today! top looks good though!Helen Beaumont, the snow line may be to 1800m but you can hardly call it snow! its making it look grey! its not ridable i doubt its even more than an inch if that! On the lauteret there was no more than 4 or 5" of fresh, it had definatley been raining this morning and last night. When i left the lauteret road was snow covered and fairly fun! It stopped snowing well before the Lazet/casset truning. It is still much much tooooo warm
ski holidays
Snowangel - hey you Wink yeah I'm flying into munich, still not decided where we going or where we staying, its gonne be a last second thing i reckon

peeps, its always the best attitude to take, I've boarded in torrential rain before, the beer is still tasty at the bottom Wink
snow report
Just looked at Les Gets webcam which was green yesterday but WHITE today. Amazing what a bot of snow can do
latest report
chrisb wrote:
Just looked at Les Gets webcam which was green yesterday but WHITE today. Amazing what a bot of snow can do

wahey! That'll do for me - off there on the 23rd..
ski holidays
skinutter, I'll send you an accurate personal update when I get out there in the New Year. Looking at the Hauteluce webcam this morning the snow is well down from the top, though obviously not as far down as Hauteluce yet.
ski holidays
snowHead Cheers Pam, it looks gorgeous this morning with the sun just creeping up, however its just a superficial layer currently and I guess we'll see what sticks around over the coming days with the yo-yo freezing level. I just hope that the weather sorts itself out soon and pushes the f/l back towards the valley floor rather than hovering insistently at 1800/2000m which is of no use for many of the Espace Diamont resorts...

Noticed on the webcams I normally trawl around, only Meribet seems to have fired up any cannons (Chaudanne which is 1450m I think)...
snow report
chrisb wrote:

This webcam doesn't look too promising Shocked . Mind you it does claim to be showing conditions at 11:40 this morning so maybe it's a prediction rather than an representation of current conditions Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Completely with Sandy77uk, et al on this -we'll be in our transfer vehicle to LDA around now in 10 days time snowHead and yes, the snow and sun gods colluding to give us buckets more snow combined with nice sunny days would be lovely-----but if not, hey, what would i rather be doing; sipping vin chaud in the company of other snowheads or mooching about fretting about all the things i haven't done to guarantee the idyllic family xmas at home? not really any contest!
snow report
Annie wrote:
Completely with Sandy77uk, et al on this -we'll be in our transfer vehicle to LDA around now in 10 days time snowHead and yes, the snow and sun gods colluding to give us buckets more snow combined with nice sunny days would be lovely-----but if not, hey, what would i rather be doing; sipping vin chaud in the company of other snowheads or mooching about fretting about all the things i haven't done to guarantee the idyllic family xmas at home? not really any contest!

Spot On snowHead
snow conditions
The week long free bar helps to.

If you use it properly you shouldn't be at all worried about the snow!
latest report
one thing you lot seem to forget, if there is no snow anda crap season there are a lot of people with businesses that stand a really good chance of going bust. I'm not just talking about chalets (for me this is my home, i wont loose it or the rentable situation i'm in due to a bad season) but there are resteraunts/hotels/bars that depend on the snow fall. If there is no snow or bad snow, people dont come and certainly dont come back.
Its hardly surprising that people are stressed with the no snow situation.

For some of us this is life, not a holiday.
ski holidays
You will find sympathy between poo-poo and syphilis in the dictionary.

Everyone is there out of choice. You know the risks when you open trade there.

For every bad season there is a good'un. Im sure you will survive, snow or no snow wink
ski holidays
i'm not worried about myself, i know i'll survive as i said this is my home and the part that is a holiday home will just get rented out to someone who lives here 24/7.

I was talking about the people who lived here all their lives, or any other resort, its not as cut and dried as you make out.

If no punters come there are businesses that will go bust, creches, snack bars etc.

I'm not looking for sympathy, but i'm sure if your business in the uk counted on something natural to make it good for you, you'd be slightly concerned too.

as i said for some people this is life not a holiday NehNeh
snow report
Have been cheering myself up looking at Webcams, looking better. Surprised there is no sign of snow cannons running? Temps seem to be below zero on various reports, ok I know there is a view will warm up next week, but would have thought as much snow as possible would be called for now?

A good base is more likely to withstand temps and reflect some of the heat I seem to recall?

Anyway - two weeks today will be in the car on way to Vallandry/LEs Arcs
snow conditions
Updated report from latania.co.uk - Note Courchevel 1850 opening has been put back a day:

La Tania all white at the moment - only a covering but lots more high up. Snow forecast for Friday night - probably rain first. Temps may be higher next week but some decent skiing should be available over at 1850. Courchevel have announced they will open on SUNDAY (not Saturday) with Saulire, Verdons, Biollay and of course Chenus for access to the run down to La Tania (for those that will, and trust me, they will). All info subject to change of course and no news from the Méribel side yet but would expect decent skiing down to the mid-station on that side. Current view at 3pm Friday is you'll definately need rock hoppers to get back to La Tania but probably good to top of gondola or maybe even lower here at the minute. If we get as predicted Friday night though it might well be possible. It really did snow heavily yesterday but the ground still too warm so most melted quickly still thin cover down here and under 2 degrees at the minute we need those cannons on.
snow report
Boris, snowcannons only work at -4 or lower, if its not that cold they cant blow, simple
snow conditions
Snowangel, sorry I'm not picking on you today I promise Razz but air temp has little to do with snow making. It only makes the process more efficient.
Some systems can happily make snow well above zero snowHead
ski holidays
Chappers, well not here they cant, and i'm not arguing with you on the fact i know enough pisters here and have asked many times why they're not blowing and i've already told you the answer!
ski holidays
Chappers, snowangel., I expect you're both right. Even if you can get it coming out of the nozzle at +ve temperatures, there's not much point if it's going to melt on the ground.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy