Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which resort is best for boarding in BC/Alberta ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at the websites of all the usual names (Fernie, Panorama, Kicking Horse, Sun Peaks, Big White, Silver Star, Banff, Lake Louise, Whistler) - but they all look the same !! Puzzled

I wanna do some on-piste red runs (which I guess is Canadian Black Diamond ?) and some off-piste stuff, though nothing too adventurous.
Not bothered much by lack of nightlife, a few bars and a food place will do, I'm more interested in getting a good boarding experience for my money. Everyone will probably answer Whistler - but is it really worth the extra money ?

Can anyone help which one to choose ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slow_starter, welcome to snowHead snowheads!

*Usual answer*
Fernie

Next question?

to be more speficic, there' only one rope tow (and it's only 100 yards long so hardly worth bothering) - ooh hang on there maybe a another one over to the right hand side of th piste map. not many anyway. Great skiing, access to some challenging runs, plenty of easily accessed off-piste but still in-bounds, and far cheaper than whistler
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To start with a European red could be either blue or black in Canada - so don't look only at the single blacks. Also you'll find that there's an awful lot in between the runs, and through the trees which aren't marked on the maps.

We've been going to the Okanagan resorts - Big White and Silver Star for years, cheaper and less crowded than Whistler - and dare I say it better (i.e. lighter) snow. Both have one t-bar, but otherwise it's just about all chairs. And it's all ski (or board) in and out, so no messing about with transport in the mornings, which is ususual in Canada.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks NBT and Okanagan... this definately helps narrow down the list.

If Euro Red is a Canada Blue/Black Diamond, then am I in danger of taking a Blue and it being like a nursery slope ? We all know its no fun to walk half-way to the bottom -> like happens on some Euro Blues.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slow_starter, I can only speak of Bannf, Lake Lousie, Panorama and Jasper, but with the exception of one or two long roads, obvious on the piste maps, I can't think of anywhere where you're likely to have to walk at any of those resorts (but I'm not a boarder), and they're all easily avoidable (in most cases, I can't see why you'd ever want to take them, boarder or skier).

It's difficult to say what runs are like what other runs; even within the same resort, the grading seems to be inconsistent. I'd say that the single blacks at Banff are genrally like Euro hard reds or blacks and that double blacks are like the more difficult Euro blacks. You'll just have to see when you get there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rest assured because Canadian resorts are smaller than many Euro linked areas there are fewer flat or uphill cat tracks which are euphemistically called "runs". They will however still exist on the edge of the area and be called something like "home run".
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi there,
I'll be the one to say Whistler then!!

Here's my reasons:

1) For the price you pay for a ticket, compared to just HOW MUCH terrain you get to play in, it's value that can't be beat.
2) Groomers or back country, it's all rockin powder snow and the temperature is easy to handle - in fact just plain HOT today!
3) No altitute to adjust to, you can be riding 5 hour days from the get go!
4) Not 1 mountain - but 2!!!!! Who can say no to that?? And Blackcomb rocks it in a totally different way. Blue, black, red, green - there's something for everyone, and lots of it!
5) And finally - I ask you, who's got all the snow????? BC!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sunshine! When a skiier has to push uphill it means a boarder has to lie on the floor & cry for his mummy.

1.1km poma lift at LL opens into fantastic terrain... but if you can't handle that particular lift on a board it might be difficult (read a jolly long hike!). It's also pretty steep in places (the poma I mean!).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds like I'll have a good time in most places. Whichever I choose - there's always the next year to try the others.
Thanks everyone for your advice. Y'all have a good season......
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alexandra, the only poling I can remember in Sunshine is around the bottom of the Teepee Town chair, probably the most uncomfortable chair lift in the world and easily avoided, and on the way down from the base to the Jackrabbit chair, again easily avoided. Are there other bits? I suppose Forget me knot (?) could be dodgy, but again avoidable.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Blackcomb is a bit of a boarders heaven, as most of the runs are cut in the fall line. So no walking for boarders.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not wanting to wee wee on the Whistler parade, it is really awesome overall, BUT there are some negatives:-

Coastal weather can be a bit wet and inconsistent - so not always the best snow conditions. Interior BC generally has better snow preservation and lighter powder.
It can get a bit crowded at times - starting to become a victim of its own success. But thankfully not to French holiday levels just yet!
It is more expensive overall than interior BC or Alberta.

Still love the place though and the town is great! But going to Big White this year instead.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LOL I like the swear filter (wee wee!)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree with Alexandra, there were a couple of times I had to pole at Sunshine. Off the top of Wawa for a start, unless you go straight back down.

If not Whistler, then Lake Louise if you can handle a seriouly steep drag. My mate who boards was getting ready it but faffed and missed the first one. The liftie asked if he'd done this before. He was so fobbed off he insisted on going up smoking a fag. The guy in front of fell off and he was on skis. In fact he rolled into me but I'd seen it coming and pushed my ski forward so he just bounced off me. Person behing me had also seen it and we had a laugh about it when we got off. There could of been a whole line of people falling back down in one big mess.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
666 wrote:
I had to pole at Sunshine. Off the top of Wawa for a start, unless you go straight back down.

I'd forgotten that. Old age. Still, it's not a long pole and then there's that unpisted bit down towards the reservoir.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy