Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off piste in Morzine/Portes du Soleil

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anybody have any tips for good off piste in Morzine/Portes du Soleil that doesn't require a guide?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skingswede, Hi

yep, but I'm not telling.

Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads skingswede.

I would be as elusive as zzz, but I don't have the knowledge to share.

An obvious place to start - up the Chaux Fleurie lift from Linderats - take the (obvious) red from the top and then drop down right. Contains drop offs of up to 4-5m - so ski down the red first and go up the lift over the top of the off-piste first.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Around the tete de Linga going back down to pre la joux. As I have a problem with the very soft and deep stuff, I do not have a problem telling you where we would head.

Have fun skingswede, and welcome to snowHead 's
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As Roy Hockley, said there is lots of gentle off piste above Pre la Joux and Plaine Dranse. A nice run from Avoriaz is going off the back of the Col du Fornet, endind up in the valley below the Pointe de Nyon. It is also worth exploring the area to the left of the Swiss Wall and also around Chamossierre (a very beautiful spot).
nb Do not go off piste in bad viz as there are lots of cliffs in the PDS!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
the opposite side of Les Gets, off to the left as you go up the chair, and then down the other side to the restaurant are all good.

Pics here from pre-Xmas last year....

http://gregh.co.uk/albums/morzine06/

cheers,

greg
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
John Scott wrote:
A nice run from Avoriaz is going off the back of the Col du Fornet, endind up in the valley below the Pointe de Nyon.

That's the Manche valley. I've not done it myself yet, but I've been told it's superb.

The local advice, though, is not to touch it without a guide as it's avalanche prone - which might explain why there are no lifts on that side.

The area around Chamossierre is also avalance prone - especially the slope to skier's right of Creux.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski - I presume that you mean the area to skier's right of Tulipe, off the Ranfolly express? I was wondering where those photos were taken!

BTW - if you're over in that area then the chip hut - on the Choucas run, just where it meets the bottom of Arbis, is highly recommended.

That's a good "safe" area skingswede. Although, saying that, the green that runs along the top from Ranfolly managed a small avalanche last year!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
now your getting all technical on me Phillip, so I'll have to go look on the piste map Wink

So they were actually taken skiers right off from the top of Mount Chery, going back into Les Gets

from this map http://www.lesgets.com/fileadmin/fichiers/PDF/PlanPistesGetswww.pdf the lift is the far right of the piste map, labelled as TS de la Pointe (but I see another one with the same name on a different part of the map!!)

Most were taken in that area, others in the valley over from Morzine, hidden valley or somesuch??

Regards,

Greg
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
now your getting all technical on me Phillip, so I'll have to go look on the piste map Wink

Apologies for doing that kitenski!
kitenski wrote:
So they were actually taken skiers right off from the top of Mount Chery, going back into Les Gets

from this map http://www.lesgets.com/fileadmin/fichiers/PDF/PlanPistesGetswww.pdf the lift is the far right of the piste map, labelled as TS de la Pointe (but I see another one with the same name on a different part of the map!!)

Ah, ok. To my shame I've not been up Mont Chery yet - even though it's "where the locals go".

Note to self - a&*e in gear, etc.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, nice pics Smile
Only off piste i've ever done (intentionally) was from top of Mont Chery, along the ridge, and back to the chalet at Les Cornuts (basically half way up the hill directly opposite Perrieres carpark).
Didn't look like that when I did it though, but then I was more concerned about getting down in one piece before dark.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Am off to Morzine next week and have never had the pleasure of of piste skiing there. Can anyone recommend where to go or ideally a book similar to the one that covers Val D'Isaire with routes.

I have heard great things about the Hidden valley, anyone care to share how to get to it?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif
rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy