Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Much excitement in the PhillipStanton household...

Poster: A snowHead
6 sleeps until we set off on our first season and we're packing and doing all those things you need to do if you're going away for 4-5 months - i.e. chucking out food that'll spoil; emptying the freezer (why do we freeze so much bread when we hardly eat it?!!?).

Any last minute packing tips from people who've done a season before...

...what did you regret not taking?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always regretted not taking more money...

I am very envious. This is the first year I'll be stuck behind a desk all winter rather than living in the mountains.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where are you going PhillipStanton? Have I missed the thread on this? Sounds good.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We're going to spend the season at our apartment in Morzine pam w - we're leaving next Friday night; staying with my sister overnight and catching the ferry on Saturday. Coming back "after Easter" - depending on the snow, us and the finances.

We're both doing our BASI 3s with BASS in Morzine from 9 January until mid-March.

Are you out in Les Gets this season - I notice that you like the place.

mulletizer - it's not so much the case that money isn't the issue, but the credit card will withstand some emergency abuse towards the end of the season if necessary. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds excellent - have a fab time - keep us updated.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PhillipStanton, boring but bring jumper cables and fill your windscreen up with neat washer fluid so it doesnt freeze up....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scottp - that's exactly the type of reminders we need. Washer fluid done, but we've forgotten the jumper cables...

Smokin Joe - thanks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PhillipStanton, yes, of course, as soon as I sent that message I remembered you had a place in Morzine. BASI 3 sounds like a great way to have a focussed season. Who runs BASS Morzine now? Have had excellent lessons with them in the past. We are about to embark on our 5th season, which sounds ridiculous, I can't think where the time has gone. It's wonderful, and the novelty hasn't worn off yet. We come back for the worst of the Feb hols (keeps trip length below 60 days as required by our insurance) and swap our apartment the peak weeks with friends from the same complex, and borrow theirs back for family parties in off peak times. We have spent several super holidays in Les Gets and surroundings but probably won't be there this winter Sad We do our seasons at low cost, one season pass for the Espace Diamant and try to avoid buying too many other passes etc. We don't eat out much and basic living costs are comparable to home. Our lodger will feed the cat and her rent pays the mortgage on the French apartment. What to take??? Well, for the first time this year we are taking a PVR loaded with top films because although we like to read many of our visitors don't seem to read much, so we can sit them in front of a film! Most stuff is obviously readily available in France. We have sometimes been guilty of classic UK expat behaviour like taking big packs of toilet rolls, and if you like real marmalade, lay in a stock. Ditto peanut butter, Marmite. Baked beans. English paper backs - some things you really, really want to read. Top class French dictionary - I like the Oxford Hachette. I enjoy evenings reading rubbishy French novels and find it a painless way of extending my vocabulary, but you need a good dictionary. My Belgian neighbour helps with the words not in the dictionary. Lap top computer - assuming you have internet access. If you are keen on cooking, things like cream of tartar. Have a wonderful time. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, English books. Or French cartoons if you want to expand your vocab. I prefer Asterix and "Blake & Mortimer".

Potato masher. You won't get one out here. Or if you can, get me 5 please. (Don't worry, they're arriving Friday).

Sausages. (Proper Sausages)

Toasting bread.

Good Luck!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PhillipStanton wrote:

Any last minute packing tips from people who've done a season before

Pack some Grass skis PhillipStanton.
Nice and Green in Les Gets, even got some outside painting done.
Have a good trip see you here in a week or so.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PhillipStanton, Campbells condensed soups - best for quick pasts sauces. heinz tomato soup, Heinz baked beans. Proper cream. mixes for scones and cheesecake. Otherwise nothing much unless you like sliced white bread .... Shocked Shocked I don't actually miss much, but then I've been doing it a long time. I always forget something each way though! rolling eyes

Have loads of fun - I know you will. You know, it is a lifestyle and career choice - you can do it permantently, even with kids. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch, try an IKEA for a potato masher, I got one in the Turin store.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

what did you regret not taking?

PhillipStanton, you might regret not taking an extra 1000 metres of mountain wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dear Cartman, I've been told you need to take some talent, a shiny helmet, and a link to the Whistler webcam wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geetee wrote:
Quote:

what did you regret not taking?

PhillipStanton, you might regret not taking an extra 1000 metres of mountain wink

...and an extra 4000 miles of travelling wink
snow conditions
and a bike
snow conditions
the main thing you need to remember is your confidence - I get the impression this may be a problem wink
ski holidays
pam w- the Morzine chapter is (still?) run by Jaz and Becci. 5th season - where's that bow smiley when you need one!

David Murdoch - potato masher, check

Fat-Russ - our balcony floor could do with a quick coat of paint if you get bored Wink

easiski - I must rember Mrs PhillipStanton - she got upset the last time I forgot her...

pam w and easiski - I don't understand the "proper cream" bit. Do you mean you can only buy creme fraiche?

geetee - must rememer to get a bigger car Wink

stuarth - helmet, check; webcam link, check; talent, errrr...

Snowy - what can I say? I taught Bode everything he knows (about skiing in the back seat!).
latest report
PhillipStanton, in French supermarkets you can't buy what we call "fresh cream". Creme fraiche is, well, creme fraiche. In Les Saisies there is a "cremerie", however, where they do the cheese and all. They sell the most fantastic, unctuous "creme cru" (ie raw cream, not pasteurised). It's the most delicious thing ever and cheap; the only thing to make pommes dauphinoise. The only cream you could take from here would be UHT; Utterly Horrible Tasting. Suss out the nearest cremerie. They must be doing something with the milk from all those indoor cows!
snow report
I believe Champion has a section Anglais selling baked beans...
snow report
pam w - "creme cru" - mmmmmmmmmmmmm

David Murdoch - you're right about Champion - you can even buy Pataks and El Passo stuff there. There's now a "world food shop" in Morzine now - stocking mainly British food and Australian wine! There's also the "British shop" in Les Gets - which I understand has divided local opinion on its single issue focus. Strangely, noone in my area of London has any issue with the local Italian deli, French restaurant or the "Norwegian shop"... Wink
snow conditions
Phillip,........have a great season........! Very Happy snowHead ........10 sleeps for me...... Laughing

....Don't forget to renew your vehicle anti-freeze, if you haven't done so already and make sure its concentrated to provide protection down to -25.

.......do you have a telephone land line in Morzine? If not, you might need to consider a local or a travel sim card for your mobile.
snow report
Thanks BernardC - are you out for the season or just for a holiday?

We don't have a landline in Morzine, but we're going to share our next door neighbour's broadband and we've signed up for the Tesco internet telephone service, which gives us a free UK landline number and free voicemail - with call charges 2p a minute to the UK and France - around the same as Skype.

We're also going to sort out French SIMs for when we're out and about.
snow report
PhillipStanton, Absolutely no advice to give apart from- ENJOY Very Happy
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman - Cool

Thanks
snow conditions
I;ve bought creme entier (double), creme fleurette (whipping) and creme fluide (pouring) in French supermarkets.
latest report
PhillipStanton, hahah

Yes, I do find the part in French menus where they discuss "Vins Etrangeres" a little odd, they being the instigators of the European dis-Union after all.

I would agree with Helen, I'd have thought creme entiere easy to find. There's certainly some in my fridge. Creme Cru sounds great though. Yum.

You may now call me the "Kolesterol Kid".
snow conditions
Thanks you Kolesterol Kid (I'll have a word with admin Wink ) and Helen Beaumont.

Strangely enough, I eat very little cream at home, but when we're in Morzine we seem to have more use for it!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhillipStanton, we don't eat much here either.
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, don't forget about the SIM, our UK home calls (inc a few business ones) where redirected to France with BT star service. My mobile bill was being posted to my UK address, it was only in March I was forwarded Januarys bill......for £773 Embarassed
latest report
Frosty wrote:
Januarys bill......for £773 Embarassed

Arrrrrrrrgggh!
latest report
PhillipStanton, .......I am in La Roche for practically all the season. Tesco Internet Service looks good - unfortunately I don't have Broadband at the moment - La Roche has basked in idyllic isolation from the world for probably the last 800 years - pigeons are still the preferred method of communication..... Toofy Grin

........ we would be interested though to have a report on how Tesco service works out in practice ...... Cool

Frosty, ...... oouch...! Have you tried 'sim4travel' ? .....or Aspro Clear - that must be some headache.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
BernardC, no but I have switched to O2 who have promised me significantly lower international roaming call charges, I will only be spending a comparatively short time in France/Switzerland this winter so its less likely to be of an issue, I may still look into the sim4travel and compare prices.
snow report
Quote:

Strangely enough, I eat very little cream at home, but when we're in Morzine we seem to have more use for it!

Cartman sounds like you'll be needing some 'L' for Lardies salopettes by the end of the season Razz
ski holidays
geetee wrote:
Cartman sounds like you'll be needing some 'L' for Lardies salopettes by the end of the season Razz

Is that anything like the "L" for "Lady" ones you had to buy Wink
latest report
.Frosty, on phones i like sim4travel and have used for about 6 months. great service, online topup, good voicemail and you dont loose credti as long as you make a call every few months
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, Laughing for the moment my 'L' for ladies are not required (note how I've held on to them just in case though! Happy ) How's your streeeeeeetch goretex holding out?
ski holidays
PhillipStanton wrote:
6 sleeps until we set off on our first season and we're packing and doing all those things you need to do if you're going away for 4-5 months - i.e. chucking out food that'll spoil; emptying the freezer (why do we freeze so much bread when we hardly eat it?!!?).

Any last minute packing tips from people who've done a season before...

...what did you regret not taking?

You lucky people.

Think of how big your total budget is, and add 50 - 100% on top. Everyone always underestimates or overspends. Don't get newcomer-fever and spank all your cash in the first fortnight.

Enjoy.
snow report
 brian
brian
PhillipStanton, Les Gets actually has an "English" shop selling beans and t-bags and whatever at ridiculous prices rolling eyes

Go native is my advice Very Happy

Have a good one (you could hardly not) snowHead

Edit: having read properly, I see you already know about the dreaded shop Embarassed

Last edited by brian on Sun 3-12-06 22:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Thanks Whitegold - fortunately, we've paid for all the pointy ended stuff in advance. We've even got 150 odd bottles of wine in the cave waiting for us...

Quote:
Don't get newcomer-fever and spank all your cash in the first fortnight.

...but I am off to the zoo for some tactical boot replacement in the first week rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy