Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort in France for Christmas Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Got my ferry all booked and stuff all organised for a Chritmas trip this year, 23/12-30/12

I've never been at Christmas, normally I go in January and February so I am now really nervous about a resort with snow.

I have 3 kids, 14, 7 and 5 so I'm looking for that resort where, you know, santa lives? Wink lol

I'd prefer France - can anyone give me some pointers?

Lookiing at Les Gets. Been many times and love the place - is that snow covered Christmas week?

Any help would be much appreciated Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
professorpool - Les Gets usually has snow at Christmas - and Santa certainly lives there. Although there are no guarantees with weather. Things certainly seem to be running a week or two late this year - although, with Les Gets, things can change rapidly because the lower slopes are pasture.

If you want "snow sure", however, then you'd be better considering somewhere at / around 1800m - Avoriaz, Les Arcs, Val Thorens, etc. It's ok, Santa lives there too!

I suspect your biggest problem will be finding accommodation at this point if you're travelling independently and haven't yet booked.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
professorpool, welcome to snowheads snowHead

Have a look at these threads - all on a similar theme

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=454906

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=424588

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=392310

Hope that helps and you find what you want
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went to Val Thorens for Christmas two years ago. Snow was fine but the temprature was a problem. My boy was 4 at the time and the chair lifts were incredibly cold and became unpleasant for him even with his balaclava on. Thus he could only ski a few hours or so. Would go somewhere just a little bit lower with young kids at this time.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Rosiere
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnboy wrote:
La Rosiere

Is La Rosiere the new Mornington Crescent? Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eng_ch,
Quote:

Is La Rosiere the new Mornington Crescent?

To be honest it is a pretty good suggestion for a French resort with a good chance of snow for family skiing at xmas. Don't know how easy it is to get accommodation though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Welcome to Snowheads, professorpool. snowHead Yes, I agree with La Rosiere, actually, though it can be very windy on the links over to Italy. The accommodation situation could be about to become a lot easier if people start cancelling because of lack of snow (as suggested on another thread). Without a lot more snow there won't be many places to ski this Christmas, and the few there are could be horribly crowded. It's a gamble, obviously, and if you only have a ferry booked I guess you could postpone your trip? Even in a more average year for snow Christmas is dodgy, and right now this is a much worse than average year. But it could be changing this week - if the temperatures drop and the snow falls. Your problem will be that if you leave it until there is snow you will have very little chance of finding accommodation. But right now, unless you are dead set on DIY, there could be some last minute TO bargains. Good luck. Difficult decision. Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
professorpool, This year it all seems a bit late, so I'd say you have two choices: Come somewhere like here in LDA where we have glacier and very high skiing, but cold can be a problem for little ones, or go to Austria where they seem to have loads already Twisted Evil

I think you'll find that Santa fellow very busy as he visits every resort I've ever been to at christmas. Here (assuming snow in the village) he goes around in a pony and trap and gives out sweeties to the kids - there's a sort of grotto thing in the main square as well!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski wrote:
Here (assuming snow in the village) he goes around in a pony and trap and gives out sweeties to the kids - there's a sort of grotto thing in the main square as well!

Strange, he does that in Morzine and Les Gets as well.

The scheduling must be hell...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski wrote:
... or go to Austria where they seem to have loads already

I think they did get lots of early snow, but high temps mean that snow depths have disappeared in many of the Austrian resorts. Going on the Snow Overview thread that Whitegold posted Austria is not that much better than France or Switzerland at the moment.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many many thanks for all the help. Surprised to hear about accomodation issues, I almost never book accomodation, I just turn up at the tourist office and sort it there and then - except in Feb of course, though havent skiied the holidays in a few years..

Thinking about it, one option could be to book les gets and if its ok, its ok and if not, drive to Avoriaz daily to ski. Only skiied Avoriaz once (on a day trip from Les Gets on the Porte du Soleil pass) and have to say it is the ugliest ski resort I have ever seen in my life!

Would rather stay here than stay there! lol!

Going to have a good root through the http://www.larosiere.net/ site and see how that feels.

My eldest doesnt believe in Santa like my two youngest and of course my wife and I do, but it won't be long before they start doubting so we are determined to go, snow or no snow even, while that Christmas, snowy, santary, magic is in the air!

Many thanks peeps, this is a nice board, and I will look to return some help someway sometime. Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
professorpool, if you are thinking of La Rosiere, you may like to try these http://www.tracksvacations.com/

The owner used to post regularly here and a number of snowHeads have had a positive experience with them. If he can't help you directly, he may be able to offer some recommendations. Do tell him that he was recommended by us...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
professorpool wrote:
I almost never book accomodation, I just turn up at the tourist office and sort it there and then - except in Feb of course, though havent skiied the holidays in a few years..

Thinking about it, one option could be to book les gets and if its ok, its ok and if not, drive to Avoriaz daily to ski. Only skiied Avoriaz once (on a day trip from Les Gets on the Porte du Soleil pass) and have to say it is the ugliest ski resort I have ever seen in my life!

professorpool - if you're happy to drive to ski then driving to Avoriaz is a good option. The best lift to head for is the Ardent lift, which has a large, free car park and seldom has queues.

In terms of accommodation, Christmas and New Year are as bad as February.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You will love Gets at crimbo, lots for the kids to do and santa will be here, infact he was in the bar last night or did i have to much beer.
As PhillipStanton said Ardent Bubble.
Best Book as i know a lot of places are full.
ski holidays
Meribel might be a sound choice. If it is cold, you can stay down low in the trees of Meribel or Courchevel. If snow is short, you can head up high to Val Thorens. Beware, though, that the Trois Vallees, like most of the Alps, have little or no snow right now.
snow report
One of the threads linked to above was started by me and I eventually decided on Les Gets.

Hopefully there will be snow but if not I'm hoping it won't be too hard to get over to Avioraz using the lifts - anyone know if this is a hassle? I guess if it is I could hire a car in the resort, presuming they're available, but I'd rather not.

Here's hoping for snow though, I'm an eternal optimist, and best of luck professorpool wherever you decide to go Smile
ski holidays
I have decided to go to Les Gets. Found a 48m2 two piece apartment for 500 euros so that's all sorted now too.

Didnt realise it would be that busy!

Just got to book the lessons for the kids now.

Oh yeah!

Here's another gripe..

Ever see that episode of Only Fools and Horses where Trigger tells the story of the broom he has had for years and years but with 5 different handles and 6 heads?

Anyway, I feel like with my Thule box! On my third car since I bought it and had to shell out ANOTHER £80 for fittings yersterday. I'm sure I've now paid for the blooming stuff TWICE!
ski holidays
professorpool - 500 euros for that size of apartment is a good deal.

Les Gets ski schools:

- www.britishskischool.com - the British Ski School - good for group and private lessons

- www.alpinelearningcurves.co.uk - Joe Beer, the guy I use - good if you want private lessons

- www.skischool.co.uk - Tim Scott - well known and respected in the area - again, good for privates

- www.skisurf360.com/english/360.swf - French ski school whose instructors speak good English and have a good reputation - it's worth looking at the web site, just because...
snow report
roga, travelling round the PDS is not as straightforward as in some ski areas - if there's snow you can get to Avoriaz by lift, though I think there's a bus from one side of Morzine to the other and it's not the work of a moment. One of the problems with the PDS is that a lot of the links are quite low, so are vulnerable when there is not much snow (i.e. you can't travel on grass). If there's snow in Avoriaz and not elsewhere it does get very crowded. I drove from Les Gets to a place where the lift access into Avoriaz was better but maybe there'll be buses. Someone better informed will be along in a moment. Lots of snowdancing needed. However, there are 20 days till your holiday; plenty of time for the weather to change. Very Happy
ski holidays
La Tania is a nice family friendly resort made up mainly of Chalets in the trees, if there is snow it's a magical resort. Have a look at latania.co.uk
snow report
PhillipStanton wrote:

- www.skisurf360.com/english/360.swf - French ski school whose instructors speak good English and have a good reputation - it's worth looking at the web site, just because...

LOL

Had it on the tv with the sound up..

Bwam!

Kids came flying downstairs to see whatI was up to. lol

Slight loveruse of flash then...
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I drove from Les Gets to a place where the lift access into Avoriaz was better but maybe there'll be buses.

The two places you can sensibly drive to are either the cable car at Prodains, which takes you up into Avoriaz village - or the gondola lift at Ardent, which takes you up to Linderats.

Both have free parking - although I reckon that Ardent is by far the best lift as the car park is bigger; there's seldom a queue to get on the lift (only if a couple of coaches have arrived at once) and you by-pass Avoriaz - so can often get ahead of the crowds.

You can get buses to both Prodains and Ardent from the centre of Morzine.

The other option from Les Gets is to ski down to Morzine and then walk across town (or take the "toy train") to the Super Morzine lift.

We typcially drive to Ardent.
latest report
professorpool, €500 for the apartment that week is cheap. We should be prepared to pay double that for xmas week. After the half term holidays and New Year it is the high season. You are very lucky I can only assume your tongue was firmly in your cheek!

Take PhillipStanton, advice and go to the Ardent lift. At that time of the year you should have plenty of snowcover. Can your gang ski over to Morzine from Les Gets and then get the ski bus to the Ardent lift. This will not minimise your time in transit but at least you could get some miles under your belt before you get up to Avoriaz/Swiss border.

Have fun.
snow conditions
professorpool, we bought skis box recently, it will fit on any car, no stupid fittings or anything. We find it's the roof bars that cause the problem when we change the car. Great news though, we sold them all on ebay.
snow conditions
OH, and I agree, an wxcwllwnt price for the apartment. We rented one last year, very small, cold and miserable. it was 670 euros. We weren't even in it for the whole time,as our own apartment was finished by Christmas Eve.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
professorpool, we bought skis box recently, it will fit on any car, no stupid fittings or anything. We find it's the roof bars that cause the problem when we change the car. Great news though, we sold them all on ebay.

LOL.

Ebay - love it..

Yeah, I know its the bars and not the box..
ski holidays
professorpool, from the web cams it looks as if the cover at Les Gets is now pretty good (down to the village) which is great to see.

Hopefully there won't be any big thaw before Xmas, fingers crossed!

Have a great time - we're there for that week too Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey cool!

Excellent news!
snow conditions
I've been going to PDS - Avoriaz for the last 3 Xmas seasons ...... snow has never been an issue.

Profesorpool ,,,,, no drama, just chill .. it'll all come good that week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy