Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Myth #5 - A Frames

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Cozy little ski chalets Laughing

In recent years, it's been fashionable to talk and focus on "parallel shins".

In my view, this was mainly to acomplish one thing - "Simultaneous Edge Change".

More recently, the focus has shifted from parallel shins, to "are the skis doing the right thing on the snow", because, someone could have an A-frame and yet both skis are doing good things on the snow. Purely down to:

1. Individual bio-mechanics (eg; male vs. female)
2. Alignment
3. Outside knee being used to fine tune, A-Frames are often mistaken for healthy knee angulation
4. Tactics (Bode etc.)

To summarise, as long as a near simultaneous edge change is happening, and both skis are being worked effectively, parallel shins should not be the focus. It is, however, still a target worth shooting for, but bear in mind that other factors such as those above, could influence achieving that goal.

Just make sure those edge changes are (near) simultaneous though, before dismissing your A-Frame!

Here's another view: Click Here

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-05-07 19:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
veeeight, Apparently the division between men and women being either bandy or knock kneed is 50-50. Hard to believe, but statistically correct I'm told by those who know! I don't think it's a recent thing; when I was a teenager (and yes, that was a long time ago), my DHO race trainers (Bunny Field, Kenny Dixon et al) were yelling at me "not to ski like a girl" which I took to mean the same thing!

The problem is that a lot of A frames exist because the skier is rotating the outside hip throuch the turn and consequently blocking the ability of the hips to stay facing slightly outside (see you diagram) the turn.

Anyway, I glad you think it's OK, since I saw a photo of me displaying a small A frame last year. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

The problem is that a lot of A frames exist because the skier is rotating the outside hip throuch the turn and consequently blocking the ability of the hips to stay facing slightly outside (see you diagram) the turn.

Too true!

Which is why really, people need a trained eye (eg; instructor or coach) to look at them skiing, in order to determine if the A Frame is muscle memory, bad technique, or some other factor of which they have very little control over!

The point of the post really was to say "hey - don't just yell out A-Frame to every skier you see - there could be other reasons behind it!!".

Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
veeeight, I have a middle aged lady client who, due to the shape of her legs, skis in a permanent snowplough. Well a massive A frame anyway. Her tibias both just stick out from her knees. Her femurs are fairly straight. She gets all stressed because peeps keep telling her she's ploughing, but she can't actually help it. It's too extreme at her age to do any correctiion, so she just has to live with it. I'm trying to persuade her to get footbeds made though - but she can't really afford it. Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, but, but, but, why not do an underbinding cant just to let her get the skis flat? Not correction, adaptation?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, Because she has no money to spend on things like that, doesn't have her own skis, and only gets to ski thanks to her twin sister inviting her to come with! She's not a serious skier at all, and it doesn't really matter as far as her abilty to ski is concerned - easy blues are really her limit. It's just the comments that get her going. However for someone in their late 50's to make any changes at all is possibly dangerous and certainly inadvisable IMO. All her life she's done everything with her legs that shape, if you cant you force the leg into an unnatural position, which will pressure muscles that haven't really been used for many decades, and possibly damage the knees too. No - best left alone, or with just a nice balanced footbed (in France they're not allowed to "correct" unless they're fully qualified to do so). Sensible idea I think!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, Nice to see Louise again she took me for my level 1 six years ago.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski wrote:
comprex, Because she has no money to spend on things like that, doesn't have her own skis, and only gets to ski thanks to her twin sister inviting her to come with! She's not a serious skier at all, and it doesn't really matter as far as her abilty to ski is concerned - easy blues are really her limit. It's just the comments that get her going. However for someone in their late 50's to make any changes at all is possibly dangerous and certainly inadvisable IMO. All her life she's done everything with her legs that shape, if you cant you force the leg into an unnatural position, which will pressure muscles that haven't really been used for many decades, and possibly damage the knees too. No - best left alone, or with just a nice balanced footbed (in France they're not allowed to "correct" unless they're fully qualified to do so). Sensible idea I think!

it is not the qualified people i worry about... it is the large number of 'boot fitters' around the world who are playing doctor they are un qualified and therefore unregulated... that is the problem, a badly made 'balanced footbed' becomes a corrective device and can be destructive

as you know it is finding the good ones . the one you trust, the ones who understands the foot and knows at wht point to refer out the problem to the relevent medical professional
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM, well said. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM, Hypocrate!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
CEM, Hypocrate!

was that ment to be hypocratic oath as in signed by medical professionals

i was mereley pointing out theat there are good boot fitters who know the line and some not so good [or should that be not so professional] who don't Little Angel Little Angel
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski wrote:
when I was a teenager (and yes, that was a long time ago), my DHO race trainers (Bunny Field, Kenny Dixon et al) were yelling at me "not to ski like a girl"

At least you were a girl, Chemmy's a gal but she didin't half ski well at the weekend.

I do love the way all boot fitters stick together and never say a bad word against one another Wink

Sorry for the interruption, back to A-Framing ....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, Well - yes - it would be embarassing if you were a boy to be told not to ski like a girl - especially at age 14 or so.... wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski wrote:
DB, Well - yes - it would be embarassing if you were a boy to be told not to ski like a girl - especially at age 14 or so.... wink

Even that wouldn't of been so bad, but I only started skiing at 28. Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB,
She was pretty good and that result must have bolstered her confidence.

What time did she finsih off the winner....?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy