Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone give me the low down on rules for driving in Austria? I seem to remember that you need to carry a reflective jacket?? Is it law that you carry snow chains? And finally where do you buy the Austrian motorway permit thing. We are planning to hire a car in Munich and drive down over Christmas. Thanks for your input. Nigel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nigels, you have to carry snow chain when driving in mountainous areas, i.e. you will see a sign at the side of the road with a picture of a wheel with chains, at which point you need to have them. So you will need to request them with your car.

You can get the vignette from most petrol stations, and especially those along the motorway from Munich to Salzburg.

Don't know about reflective jackets sorry, although I've never seen one in our hire cars!

HTH
Happy sliding
D
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Deliaskis, Thanks for your help. I seem to remember getting stitched by the car hire company for the jacket a few years ago. You ha to buy them of course!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nigels, I always find the AA a good source of information when planning a trip abroad. They seem to keep up with all the latest regulations pretty well.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/AA_Austria.pdf
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nigels, I spent a couple of weeks in Austria earlier this year, and it was only on the journey into Switzerland that I actually used the motorway (hence a vignette). It depend on where you are heading. All the petrol stations seemed to sell them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nigels, When I visited Austria last summer I bought a reflective jacket in one of the Motorway service stations. It was only a few Euros (certainly cheaper than I had seen them in the UK Very Happy ), and I now keep the "Sicherheitsweste mit reflektierenden Streifen" Toofy Grin in its zip pack in the boot of my car.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nigels, If you are going somewhere like Soll or Kitzbuhel you can always nip off the autobahn at Kufstein and use the A roads from there. In tons of driving on Austrian motorways I've only been pulled into a service area for a check once (that time I had a Vignette luckily). Other times I've forgotton to buy one but got away with it. They're cheap and German motorway services will flog you one at the petrol cash desk.

I never hire chains at Munich Airport unless I know the road conditions warrant it when I get into Austria. If I need them once there I buy the cheapo ones at the garage... but I've only ever needed to do this once. They are rarely needed as, to get to most ski resorts, there are no hills and roads are well swept / gritted.

Reflective jacket? Not heard that one but it is probably a good idea wherever you drive. I see them for sale in service areas here now and keep meaning to buy one for the boot... some of them look almost good enough to ski in! wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Many countries in EU require reflective jacket now. Austria is one of them. I suspect Italy is another, as every rental car I've had recently has had one wedged in the door map pocket. Worth having one anyway, as they cost peanuts (although ferry ports will add a few bob on to the price).

Oh - and I think you're sposed to be wearing the reflective jacket when you fish the warning triangle from the boot of the car, so keep the jacket inside the car, not the boot Wink

Austria might be one where you need headlights on all the time too?

Handy Info here...
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html
And a cross reference chart thingy if you don't mind downloading Word docs here...
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/compulsory_equipment.html
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes you do need a reflective jacket, and it should be in the front of the car so you can always have it on when outside the car. This has applied since 1st May 2005. You also have to have your headlights on all the time.
I would not try driving on the motorway without a vignette. The Austrian police take a dim view!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Lawrie wrote:
The Austrian police take a dim view!

Maybe they should turn their lights on then Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FenlandSkier, rolling eyes Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nigels, and ALL
Beware of the Austrian police, I got fined for not having a vignette, although they had only just been introduced the week before and I had been in Kitzbuel for 2 weeks, further more he also did me for doing 120kph in an 80 zone, I had just been overtaken by a German reg blacked out windows Merc, who ignored his frantic lolliepop waving, being British I stopped rolling eyes I had nothing to fear I was obeying the law. He showed me the speed gun with 120 on it ie. the Merc's speed, I politely asked how could he prove that was my speed, he smiled and told me he didn't need to Sad When he asked for my driving licence he did not seem to approve of my Nigerian licence Embarassed my UK one had been handed in for the time I was a Nigerian resident. The car papers did not impress him much as it is Spanish. He took all my French francs, US dollars and Swiss francs totaling £85 ish.
THEY are SNEAKY hideing behind road signs on downhill roads, BEWARE
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You have to have your headlights on at all times.

Dont take chances with the vignette the fines are quite heavy nowadays . There not expensive & you can buy them at gas stations even in Germany at the border.We can even buy them here in Holland.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes you need the jacket, might or might not need the snow chains, depending on where you're going, keep your lights on and buy a vignette.

Also beware of speeding, guests of ours were fined on the spot and a German friend was fined for having too much snow on the roof of his car!!!

Deb
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nigels

I understand that from this year it will be compulsory under Austrian law for cars hired in Germany to be fitted with winter tyres.

Nick
latest report
I hired a car at Munich on Wednesday, it came fitted with 'ice tyres'
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy