Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OK French speakers here's your opportunity

Poster: A snowHead
What is an Arpette? Most french resorts seem to have a mountain area called L'arpette!

Similarly Marmotte is a popular piste amongst French resorts.

Any other names that crop up regularly across the piste maps of the world?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No idea about Arpette, but a marmotte is a small mammal isn't it?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tessaventer, I don't know about Arpette, (we don't have one). I'm sure Davidof will know if he spots this thread. A Marmotte is a large (Europe's largest) rhodent. they live in the alps in holes in the ground and are very cute indeed. In North America they're called Ground Hogs. See http://www.marmotburrow.ucla.edu/index.html for more info. Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tessaventer, it was named by a Northerner and is a mis-spelling of Ey-up-pet
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With one T it's an errand girl, or (my dictionary says) a milliners apprentice! ( a common word in France no doubt).
With 2 Ts - no clue.
I've seen Marmotts right under a ski lift in early spring. Like a super-size hamster.
snow report
 brian
brian
tessaventer, don't know what an arpette is either but animals like marmotte are common. I think all the pistes in Méribel are named after animals. Other ones that spring to mind:

lièvre - hare
gelinotte - grouse
renard - fox
sanglier - boar
ours (blanc) - (polar) bear
lagopède - ptarmigan
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
it's a little Arpe

just like salopettes are little Salopes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Isn't there an M missing between the R and the P? wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We went Marmotte spotting in the French Alps this Summer and were lucky enough to see 12 in one afternnon. They are incredibly shy and have very sensitive hearing. Yet the biggest burrows we saw that afternoon were all around a chairlift pylon.
Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
arpette or arpète means an apprentice.

http://www.languefrancaise.net/glossaire/detail.php?id=2604&PHPSESSID=42778dad67b1757b04d5f6623c0fb111
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've just put a picture i took of some Marmottes in September in the mediazone - & I dont have a clue how to get them here! Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, Thanks for the link, I know a little 10 year old who is going to enjoy reading the site and linked site's very much Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In Italy a Marmotte is the same in Italian (but Chamois are called Camosci) in case anyone's wondering on similarly named pistes elsewhere.
snow report
 brian
brian
geri, go to the pic in the media zone and copy and paste the text in either the BB code box (for a full size pic in this thread) or the linked thumbnail box (for a small pic that links to the big one).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, Shocked Its vanished Shocked I'll try again
latest report

I'd forgotton to process it rolling eyes
ski holidays
 brian
brian
geri, could maybe use a bit of zooming before uploading (assuming the original was a bit bigger) ?
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
tessaventer, I don't know about Arpette, (we don't have one). I'm sure Davidof will know if he spots this thread. A Marmotte is a large (Europe's largest) rhodent. they live in the alps in holes in the ground and are very cute indeed. In North America they're called Ground Hogs. See http://www.marmotburrow.ucla.edu/index.html for more info. Very Happy

Ok I'm afraid I will have to bite, arpette is a dialect (savoyard) for alpage, or maybe little alpage (the pette bit). So it is a pasture, I imagine that any mountain that has the name has a flattish grassy summit. Of course this might be a bluff!

Talking of Ground Hogs, Ground Hog Day is La Journée de la Marmotte in French. Very useful I know.

What about Dahu's? There are lots of pistes called the Dahu in the Alps and they generally follow hills around the contour line, anyone know what an Dahu is?

awwww!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 30-11-06 14:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
davidof,..............
Quote:

Of course this might be a bluff!

Surely not a bluff is a cliff with a vertical or steep broad front Laughing
Not unlike my first girlfriend Laughing
snow report
davidof, Isn't it a cheap korean car? Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AxsMan wrote:
davidof, Isn't it a cheap korean car? Very Happy

Laughing
ski holidays
'Genepy' is another popular one.

For years I thought GEOFF NET was somebody who sponsored particular pistes, in the same way that you can sponsor roundabouts in the UK.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 30-11-06 15:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
geri, sorry but where is the marmot in your pic? A grid reference might be handy - wait a minute, is it the two tiny brown blobs on the rock in the middle???? Confused
ski holidays
tessaventer, Laughing Laughing I've just now looked at the pic! They are, as you say the tiny blobs in the middle of the pic - funny, they looked much bigger than that in my photo! I'l l try & play with it later - but work to do now.
snow report
 brian
brian
davidof wrote:
What about Dahu's? There are lots of pistes called the Dahu in the Alps and they generally follow hills around the contour line, anyone know what an Dahu is?

Presumably it belongs to the same family as the haggis:

"A haggis is a small four-legged Scottish Highland creature, which has the limbs on one side shorter than the other side. This means that it is well adapted to run around the hills at a steady altitude, without either ascending or descending. However a haggis can easily be caught by running around the hill in the opposite direction."
ski holidays

I've put arrows where I think the marmots are Very Happy
latest report
For the original question, here's a good site: http://www.wordreference.com/fren/marmotte Only lists marmotte though, not the others mentioned here Sad However, I am intrigued at the translation "whistler" Smile
ski holidays
TallTone, Whistler mountain was named after its marmots.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
TallTone, it's what they do when they're alarmed.
ski holidays
geetee, ......General Custer seems to be missing from that cluster of arrows ....... Toofy Grin
snow report
BernardC, Laughing
snow report
Anyone else thinking of Python's "Art of Camouflage" sketch?
ski holidays
Latchigo, ISTR Genepi being a particularly evil type of firewater available in the Haute Savoie area. At least that is my experience of something by this name Blush
ski holidays
 brian
brian
docsquid, that's the one, made using the alpine plant of the same name.
latest report
brian, I didn't know what it was made from, only that I drank too much of it Sad
snow conditions
davidof, An description of the Dahu here. It includes an explanation about why they might follow the contours, although if they need to go back whence they came, they would need to go right around the mountain.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat,

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/5756/boomfk2.png
snow report
Swirly, thanks!

...now the other version to go for is "The Big Board" from HILTSWALTB
ski holidays
More pistes that appear regularly in French resorts:

Bergers - presumably shepherds
Chamois - pretty but shy goat-like things
Rhodos - rhododendrons???
Ours- bear
Pralong - ???
Arolles - ???
snow conditions
En francais
ski holidays