Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I've just signed up for...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
...an evening course on ski preparation at our local Stöckli shop next Thursday Smile Should cover edges, waxing, basic base filling etc and will be taught by the manager, the ex World Cup technician. It's only one evening, but if I can learn enough to just deal with burrs and simple waxing and leave the full service to the pros, then I'll be happy Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eng_ch, ........ that's a great idea...hope you enjoy it..... snowHead

I went to a similar event last season in Bourg St. Maurice - run by Intersport every two weeks (the larger Intersport one just at the edge of Bourg). It was great - got hands on with various repair techniques, edging, waxing etc + some refreshments........ Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eng_ch, a 'full service' as a shop calls it basically means putting your bases & edges through a grinder. They might come out looking brand new but it's to be avoided as it just removes material unnecessarily.

Once the edges are set to your desired angles, or as they come from the factory, if the side edge is touched-up regularly with a good guide/diamond stone (Moonflex) & the bases regularly waxed (with an occasional cleansing hot wax scrape) there's no need for a 'full service' as you're already keeping everything in tip top condition. Regular touching-up of the edges removes far less material that letting them get really blunt/burred & then having to do more major work, with the added benefit of always skiing on decent edges.

After a lot of use a stone grind will be required to correct either the high or low edges & a shop will need to do that. The edges then need to be reset & the bases prepped but that's still an easy DIY job & will give you a higher quality result than a shop.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, ahem. Any chance of you doing a similar evening for those of us in the Midlands?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah, now I can speak with true knowledge having just spent a morning with spyderjon, who is a man who knpws his shizzle. Totally enjoyable, absorbing and astonishingly fast when Jon is doing it. And that's despite putting in about six more stages than any other ski tech I've watched.
It's one of the most satisfying things I've done in skiing for a while and will make the season go on all the way through the summer. And that's just filling the holes in my touring rig...
A hand tune is a thing of wonder for sure and the finish was immaculate.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fallliner, those trashed Sweet Daddy's of your's have come up a treat. Bindings now re-mounted & old holes plugged, bases repaired/stone ground & edges set & polished. Just got to prep/wax the bases & you'll be good to go.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles wrote:
spyderjon, ahem. Any chance of you doing a similar evening for those of us in the Midlands?

achilles, the best lessons are really a hands on thing as you really need to actually used the tools, not just watch, & are therefore best on a one to one basis. If 2/3 people are travelling a distance then it is worth coming together but there'll be a lot of down time for each person whilst they stand around watching whilst awaiting their turn on the tools.

A tuning demo/clinic at major snowHead gathering is a possibility but unfortunately I can't make to either the Wengen or EoS bashes, plus carting tuning gear out there would be a major problem.

I've recently had initial discussions about doing tuning demos at next year's B'ham ski show but can't say more at the moment. I'll advise as & when things develop further.

Why not just book a lesson & we'll prep those new Mission's at the same time plus go through all the other elements they'll need in the future?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, as far as I'm aware, Stöckli base their services around a manual service - the skis certainly don't come back looking "machined" - and we've had several comments from different people remarking on the quality of the service our skis have had, which is why I'm more than happy to let them do a proper small service a couple of times a season. But it would be nice not to have to spend money on touch-ups I could do myself (hopefully Rutschen will have time to come next week too as he's more handy than I am).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eng_ch wrote:
spyderjon, as far as I'm aware, Stöckli base their services around a manual service

Really, that's good to hear. Come to think of it I seem to recall reading somewhere that their edges are hand set after the skis are manufactured which must be one of the benefits of being a relatively small factory.

Also can you please give me a report when you get back as I'm always interested to receive info from other sources.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, looks a good idea. I'll get in touch.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy