Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets - On plane

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have just joined your forum, and it's excellent.

We have just bought our first pair of skis and cannot wait to use them, off to Ischgl end Jan. Plan to also buy helmets in the next few weeks. Question - how do you transport your helmets, are they ok as carry on luggage, especially with the recent baggage restrictions?

thanks

Getty
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Getty, hello. We shove ours in hold baggage.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just rather nervous of the hold. Presume it's well wrapped up in fleeces !!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Getty, we wrapped ours up in jumpers and stuffed them full of underwear. They came through just fine, although sadly Mr Docsquid's shaver didn't make it home in one piece Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wrap my helmet up, and put it over the tips of my skis.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for the speedy replies Guys.
Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, Dosent it get banged around? What do you wrap it up in?

Quote:

are they ok as carry on luggage

Getty, I had a similar conversation with somebody yesterday about this as I am doing several budget flights this season and have to watch weight restrictions. I had thought of putting my helmet in a small carry on bag with plugs and adaptors in it (e.g. phone/MP3/euro plugs and hairdryer).
Anybody else do this?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've brought mine on board domestic US flights before without a problem, admittedly prior to the scary shampoo.

Bonus points for putting it on at the arrivals gate in a full lunge, hands out to the side. Telemark landing style points, that is.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You could always wear it on the flight - just say you're a nervous flyer Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
uktrailmonster, been there, done that, amazing how snow storms in Salt Lake make for tornado weather flying back through St. Louis, and just superb when the other passengers look at you with a sinking feeling*, as the stewardesses strap in for a no food service flight.

*The realization they forgot the Captain Morgan and the helmet factoring more than the air pockets per se. First time I've seen someone go green with rum envy, too. Cool
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I first got my helmet I thought it would be a pain to pack, but quite the contrary, it offers great protection for my goggles which fit snugly inside then packed out with socks etc. Then wrap your helmet up in a nice warm fleece.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 27-11-06 19:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had mine hanging off the back of my rucksack when I travelled with jet2 last April, at the start of the season I packed it in my main luggage.

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I carry mine in a little carry-on rucksack, with lots of things in it! Mind any plugs are inside not ouside the helmet, those prongs can dent your helmet - so I've heard wink Toofy Grin

I checked the measurements actually last night & it's well within the guidelines so should be ok.

My goggles travel in my boots in my main luggage Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mine goes in the middle of my holdall. Being a helmet it's ideal for protecting the two pairs of goggles I stick inside it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Given the current safety situation, wouldn't it be best to wear the helmet?
snow report
I always have mine hanging off my hand luggage. No problem last season. Let's see what happens this
ski holidays
Getty, welcome to snowheads.

Mine is in my case (I got a hard shell one). I personally think it would take more of a knock having it on your hand luggage.
latest report
I put mine in my hold luggage, goggles etc inside it and a good dollop of clothing around it for protection.
ski holidays
Getty, I guess that the helmets are in the middle of clothing in the hold baggage. On the other hand, they are helmets; I'd like to think that they could withstand a certain amount of rough handling without disintegrating. I regard boots and helmets as safe places for goggs and glasses (you need to remove them before donning the boots/helmet).
ski holidays
richmond wrote:
On the other hand, they are helmets; I'd like to think that they could withstand a certain amount of rough handling without disintegrating.

Unless, of course, they are crushable helmets rated for a single impact.
http://www.telemarktips.com/Helmets.html
snow report
Getty, Hi, welcome to snowHead 's

I stick mine in the middle of my hold bag surrounded by clothes, its great for protecting your goggles etc, that may otherwise get damaged.

snowHead
ski holidays
Great to read all the replies this morning - I guess it may be safe in the hold, wrapped in the many fleeces that I always take skiing.

Keep up the good work all, this forum is keeping me going - pre ski !! Very Happy
ski holidays
Great to read all the replies this morning - I guess it may be safe in the hold, wrapped in the many fleeces that I always take skiing.

Keep up the good work all, this forum is keeping me going - pre ski !! Very Happy
latest report
I put my helmet in my ski boot bag as there's always a bit of room around the boots and this seems to work well.

4 weeks and counting snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
I always take my boots as hand carry. I wouldn't be too worried about their survival, but it's the one thing I don't want to be hiring at the start of a skiing holiday if the luggage goes AWOL. I only trust soft goods in the hold, anything else is liable to get broken. I travel a lot and my bags quite often turn up flattened like pancakes. It's just a lottery. I use a hard case for my skis (sportube).
ski holidays
Just hang it off the back of your backpack and whack it in the lockers on the plane as hand luggage. Never had a problem. Or as suggested by somebody else, fold the earflaps, pop your gogs inside and put it inside your backpack - hey presto. Don't worry about it getting knocked about - it's a crash helmet!

Toofy Grin
latest report
A friend was made to put their motorbike helmet loose in the hold a couple of years ago on a Ryanair flight when they were coming over for a quick visit so total luggage consisted of just one small bag and the helmet as I was picking them up from the airport on two wheels.
snow report
I think it was written by Warren Miller (maybe on his website) that you should pack the following things in your hand luggage:

1. googles
2. 2 pairs of gloves
3. specs/contact lenses
4. base layer
5. salopettes
6. sunglasses
7. ski boots
8. underwear

and "wear" your ski jacket on board.....

If in the unlikely event of your luggage going missing you will still be able to ski from day 1 as you have some of your main kit. Now I don't know, if all this would fit into 1 bag that conforms to current airline baggage sizes nowadays?

Re helmet, if you can pack it into you hand luggage then great, but I would give some of the items above greater priority. At the end of the day you can rent one at the resort if it goes AWOL. Alternatively, I think Giro do a helmet case.

Rik
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster wrote:
You could always wear it on the flight - just say you're a nervous flyer Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Think I will probably risk it in the hold. Current situation means the hand luggage bag is struggling as it is. Would hate it to go loose in the hold.
Will be more worried about my new skis arriving with me this year.
Boots went missing for one day in Banff last year - luckily turned up the next day and we hadn't done any skiing at that point.
I think wearing the helmet would be a great idea, but sure I wouldn't get away with it. Laughing
latest report
Ive allways cliped mine onto the top of my cammel back i take on as hand luggage, not sure how that would work with the current rules though.
snow report
Getty wrote:
I think wearing the helmet would be a great idea, but sure I wouldn't get away with it. Laughing

Just say to the check-in staff that it is a religious item of clothing! Very Happy
snow report
Good idea !!! Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy