Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Girlfriends first ski trip....

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am planning on taking my girlfriend skiing for the 1st time mid Jan 2007 and am in a dilemma where!?

She is a 1st timer, while I would class myself as an intermediate..... but have only skied in Austria. I am planning on leaving the booking quite late, to try and find a bargain and have decided to avoid a DIY trip, just in case it all goes horribly wrong! Ideally, I am looking for a good authentic resort, good for beginners and doesn't hit the pocket too hard. My shortlist at the moment is:

1) Back to Austria - where I know what to expect, maybe Soll, Mayhofen ...etc
2) La Clusaz France - have heard it's very scenic and a nice place
3) Possibly an up-and-coming resort, such as Bansko, or even Slovenia

If there is any advice out there - I would be very grateful indeed!!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Livigno,

I went there with my girlfriend when we were both beginners, and we're off back there for New Year.
Loads of nursery slopes, good school with really friendly instructers, and won't break the bank.

We went to Soll last year, and I'd choose Livigno over there every time.

Plus enough to keep you occupied whilst she's in ski school.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHead snowHead . I wouldn't class Livigno as "authentic"? La Clusaz is a good place though (like most "authentic" places) will not be doorstep skiing. However - let me be the first of many to say that what will make, or break, her first ski experience is quality of tuition. You need to find somewhere with small classes, preferably English first language tuition. Les Gets hits quite a few of the buttons and has an excellent ski school (BASS). My experience of them (several different levels of tuition) was excellent and there are other good reports on Snowheads. There are other good ski schools too, of course, and others will no doubt be along with more ideas. However, though a last minute booking can be a good idea I suspect you will find the quality ski schools booked up well in advance, even in the low season. Courchevel, where there is also a good British ski school, would be another possibility, with excellent nursery slopes, easy progression (not always the case) and more extensive challenging skiing for yourself, though it can be expensive.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TaffyApple, welcome to snowHead!

There are a few tips I've read before for taking a first timer...
1. Getting there - make sure it's not a 4 hours transfer bus. Short transfer times help the first timer feel like they are on holiday sooner. Give her a good start to the holiday, and try to go somewhere within about 2 hours of an airport - or less if you can)
2. Morning lessons - with the afternoon off, when you can ski with her, or go to the bar, etc.
3. English speaking group for lessons - sure the instructors can speak English, but being able to have a bit of chat and make friends with other students really helps
4. Nightlife.

(I'm sure I've seen a list on here before - will try to search for one later)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some suggestions

1. Villars - Switzerland
2. Alpe d' Huez meets the criteria on skiing won't be as charming . There are britiish ski schools there;
3 Go back to Austria.

Go ski in/ski out for your first trip. avoid all the hassle of lugging heavy skis when she isn't yet hooked. Don't go to down market with your accom. If she gains the impression down market accom associates with skiing -could be a problen next time you go. Ski with her. Perhaps go with a group of friends

I'm highlighting the things that I didn't do with the significant other and now means that I ski without her and am limited to a week a year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks for all the replies - some really useful stuff there. Must be honast I hadn't considered the ski school options...... my experience to date is ski schools which run their classes in the morning and afternoon, which wouldn't be great as we would end up having more or less a seperate holiday. I guess there are ski schools out there, with morning only classes?

In the meantime....... need to do more research. Thanks for help guys!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TaffyApple, although ski schools operate in mornings and afternoons, it is likely that your girlfriend would either be in a morning or afternoon group, so you would still have half of each day together.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How about Andorra?

We went to Courchevel for our first time, but that was a bit pricey. This year we are off to Andorra as it is good for beginners and I am told that it is great for confidence building. Also has the advantage of being cheap.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My suggestion would be Soldeu in Andorra 4 hr transfer but excellent English ski school good night life cheap booze....why am I doing 3 months in Montalbert???????????
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TaffyApple, Westendorf is nice for beginners and authentic. Intermediates can venture further afield on the circuit to other resorts.

There should be plenty for beginners/intermediates on late deals anyway.

La Clusaz is nice but the apres is better in Austria.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TaffyApple, check you PM box. (Send/Read messages just under the Snowheads logo, your's may say 1 new message.).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TaffyApple, I have gone through the same as you - my wife took her first real real ski turns in La Clusaz, and she loved it. Before that she had skied a few little times here and there, but never really enjoyed the experience.

A couple of things to consider:

- scenic and original is better than a factory (leaves an impression of "mountains and villages".
- don't underestimate the importance of green over blue.
- book private classes, two hours/day for at least first three days. And spend afternoon time together - at least an hour or two. Don;t force her up at 9 am. Go ski a couple of hours yourself. Carry her skis, and cater to her every single little wish. Forget your skiing in the beginning and pay attention to hers.
- From La Clusaz, take a car hire one day and take her to Chamonix or Annecy.

Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd take her to Les Menuire, that way she'll hate it and you are free to go on your own forever more.
It will save you a packet as well and if you do stay together, you will have a automatic free pass out every year...Sorted...!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Carry her skis, and cater to her every single little wish. Forget your skiing in the beginning and pay attention to hers.

Yes, yes, yes!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I think it's only in Austria you have classes all day, morning and afternoon. Transfers to Andorra are long when the weather is kind, and extremely long when it's not. Depends on your budget. I don't think you need go for private lessons if you find a good British ski school, it's really quite fun in a group, provided you can talk to the others. You will need to think about ski in/ski out versus Alpine charm. They tend not to go together. Les Gets is not a bad little town at all, and you shouldn't have to walk far. A compromise. If you hire nice short skis for her (chin level is ample and don't let some smartarse ski bum talk you into anything longer) they won't be too heavy to carry.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My tip would be to take her somewhere completely dreadful. wink She will have a nightmare of a week and will never want to ski again. NehNeh This will leave you to go away with the boys every winter Cool

EDIT- Just saw II's post, great minds think alike NehNeh
snow report
pam w wrote:
I don't think you need go for private lessons if you find a good British ski school, it's really quite fun in a group, provided you can talk to the others. You will need to think about ski in/ski out versus Alpine charm. They tend not to go together. Les Gets is not a bad little town at all, and you shouldn't have to walk far. A compromise. If you hire nice short skis for her (chin level is ample and don't let some smartarse ski bum talk you into anything longer) they won't be too heavy to carry.

I think the private class issue depends on her confidence level. It might not be fun to have everyone looking at you and your trouble. And, guaranteed the progress is faster with private classes. If it goes well, after a couple of days, group lessons might before more interesting.

It makes no much difference whether you have ski-in or out when then person has never skied. Therefore, as I said, carry the skis for her, take care of every little detail. And, don't burn your nerves. Bite your tongue.

About the ski lenght: totally agree. The shorter almost, the better. And try to find nice fitting boots. Book the gear in advance, it might help. Same with the classes.
snow conditions
Quote:

It might not be fun to have everyone looking at you and your trouble.

We're taking a rather pessimistic view here, aren't we? Some very nervous or shy beginners might feel stupid in a class but most people enjoy small, high quality, groups. Maybe we should have asked TaffyApple something about his girlfriend. She may be a champion surfer for all we know! Unless she is unusually poorly co-ordinated, or scared witless (in which case yes, private lessons are definitely best) she should be OK in a good quality ski school class. Not in the ESF with 11 others, though....
snow report
True. It's really about the personality and ability levels. There are tons of other reasons why she might either like or dislike private tuition than nervosity, shyness or scare. But yes, I'd start from being pessimistic, or thinking of the most difficult situation possible. It's always easier to accomodate upwards. Smile
ski holidays
TaffyApple,
Hello!!!
don't know much abut skiing however my boyfriend and I finished off a ski season last year in Saas Fee, Switzerland. Relatively long transfer, 3 hours from Geneva but the journey is beautiful and the place itself is gorgeous, like a toy town! Having never been anywhere quite like that before, it was just what I was hoping for! A small place with no traffic, just electric buses and some lovely restaurants. Not sure how cheaply it would be with a last minute deal but I know some people got out for £250 fully catered with Total where we were working.
Hope thats useful, it was a perfect place for a first experience for me!
Good luck!
snow report
TaffyApple, I'm with pam w on the Les Gets option. It has some great beginner's terrain and I also agree that the British Ski School are great. Morzine is also great (see my location!).

The only problem Les Gets, and to a lesser extent Morzine, is that the major tour operators don't really go there as much - so last minute deals are harder to find. You'll find it easier to get a good last minute deal to Courchevel.

I sort of agree with demos about privates and sort of agree with pam w. I'm a great fan of private lessons for beginners and used to encourage our friends to go the private route. But I'm more circumspect now after a couple of friends subsequently had, and enjoyed more, having group lessons. They said that they preferred having a shared learning experience and having other people of their own standard to go off on adventures with. But other friends have loved the private route.

You should also consider the cost - privates are £50-60 an hour - as opposed to £100 for group lessons for a week.
snow report
To 'win over' a first timer make it as easy as possible!
Last minute hols need careful consideration, you may end up with little choice. Dont dive in at the first option.
Proximity to slopes - limit the carrying of equipment, even a few hundred yards will seem an eternity for a beginer. Surely at Soll there's a bus trip to the lift station base? I remember quite some walking or waiting around for crowded buses?
Austria, tends to be all day lessons. France, tends to have 2 hour sessions morning (early or late).
Avoid eastern europe, unless you are a Eastern European fan.

Suggest:-
France, 3V's (although I am a fan), 1650, 1550 cheaper but less nightlife. See what bargins can be got.
Morning lessons. Allows you to meet and have a holiday together. Dont go all private, part of the fun learning is meeting people! Maybe have a couple of pvt hours if she wishes, but that can be organised in resort.
Easy slope access - a must! No long walks, or bus rides.

Update us when you've decided.
Good luck! snowHead
latest report
TaffyApple, just make sure she's got a really fit ski instructor and I'm sure she'll be happy wink wink
snow report
fraserp, I'm with you on Courchevel for beginners, but it is pricey.
ski holidays
hels_t,

Hi, Hels! How are you getting on in Canada? Is the snow as luscious as the news reports would have us believe?
snow conditions
TaffyApple, just in case your girlfriend doesn't take to skiing, try a larger resort which has other activities. How about Zell am Zee? There are usually some good hotel deals, it has traditional architecture and it's about 1hr 30mins from Salzburg. Great nightlife too! Plus, you could ski over in Saalbach for a change of scenery which is great for intermediates.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

It might not be fun to have everyone looking at you and your trouble.

We're taking a rather pessimistic view here, aren't we? Some very nervous or shy beginners might feel stupid in a class but most people enjoy small, high quality, groups. Maybe we should have asked TaffyApple something about his girlfriend. She may be a champion surfer for all we know! Unless she is unusually poorly co-ordinated, or scared witless (in which case yes, private lessons are definitely best) she should be OK in a good quality ski school class. Not in the ESF with 11 others, though....

Although not a champion surfer (to my knowledge) she is reasonably sporty. I think the option of ski school in the morning and meeting her for lunch and ski together (gentle greens/blues) in the afternoon, sounds like a good option. It could also be a good way to meet people, as it is just the two of us ....... always good to have a beer & meet new people!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
JT, Chappers, I took my (now wife) to Cairngorm and it didn't put her off ! Shocked Laughing
snow report
hels_t wrote:
TaffyApple, just make sure she's got a really fit ski instructor and I'm sure she'll be happy wink wink

Mmmmnn..... in that case, maybe I need some private tuition too! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

as it is just the two of us ....... always good to have a beer & meet new people!

have you stayed in a catered chalet before? It's a good option if you are on your own but keen to meet some others. If you choose a middle sized chalet, say about 16 people, there's a good chance that you'll like at least some of them, if not all. Also, chalets often organise ski hosting, which might be good for you when the GF is in ski school. Remember what demos said about the importance of green over blue. Some resorts have a very stiff transition from the nursery slopes, which can be demoralising when you think you're doing just fine. Some blues are well beyond most first week skiers (there's a green in Val D'Isere which often has icy moguls on it....). If you go to a place with a good ski school you might enjoy lessons too - provided you can book the same hours. If you don't fancy ski lessons, why not learn to snowboard in a beginners class, and do the greens together in the afternoon? It'll do her the world of good if you fall over more than she does (as you surely will if you have never snowboarded before!). It's really good for experienced skiers to be reminded what it feels like to stand at the top of an "easy blue" and feel scared. It'll also make you more understanding of why boarders sit around in the middle of the piste. wink
latest report
My husband talked me into going a few years ago - I insisted on taking other beginners with us (thinking we'd just go shopping or something if we weren't keen)

We decided on Andorra as it wasn't that expensive & the ski school was good. I ended up in the top group of all our beginners & there's been no stopping me since!!!!!

I'd definitely recommend Soldeu in Andorra, the transfer isn't as bad as it used to be either as there's a tunnel which by passes the neighbouring (lift pass linked!) resort of Pas de la Casa. Ski school is excellent, lots of English instructors & as long as you are ready to book in early you'll get morning lessons. I've met some great people in my groups - most are up for a laugh!

Nightlife is good too without being too rowdy & there's a good selection of hotels. If you want any more info let me know - we've been lots of times!!!
ski holidays
Quote:

It's really good for experienced skiers to be reminded what it feels like to stand at the top of an "easy blue" and feel scared.

Oh how I agree!
It was a salutary lesson boarding for the first time after years of planks. Instead of being able to measure the resort in terms of time (ie " 15 minutes to that lift, then over there in 20 mins to the chocolate stop..."etc.) , I was extremely aware of fear, concentrating on technique, and, yes, pain. I really didn't like being a beginner again!

It certainly revised my previously gung-ho attitude when skiing with less practised friends, and I think has signifcantly tempered my approach when sking with mixed abilities. Maybe I'll need to do it again in a few years, but the experience is something that will live with me for quite some time.

Meanwhile, welcome to snowHead TaffyApple!
latest report
My first skiing Holiday was in Pamporovo in Bulgaria then the second in Rogla in Slovenia. I would recommend somewhere like this if money is more of an issue as you can have a brilliant weeks holiday for a lot less than in the alps. We paid about £400 all in including flights from Scotland, our own chalet, private lessons, equipment hire and eating out/on the slopes every day. if you are a bit strapped for cash it may not make skiing appealing if you have to check prices before you go places to eat.

I had private lessons in Slovenia and they work out about £15 an hour for 1 person. I found these really usefull and I learned more in 2 hours of private lessons than a whole week of group ones. I would recommend group lessons if you think you're girlfriend will enjoy the company, lots of rests if she wants them etc and private ones if you think she will want to progress as quickly as possible and won't be scared by a couple of hours hard work!

We are going to Slovakia for 2 weeks this year and it works out about the same price but is supposed to be cheaper once you get there. I think the real savings can be made in these countries through DIY deals and not the tour operators though so may not suit you.
snow report
JimW wrote:
Quote:

It's really good for experienced skiers to be reminded what it feels like to stand at the top of an "easy blue" and feel scared.

Oh how I agree!
It was a salutary lesson boarding for the first time after years of planks. Instead of being able to measure the resort in terms of time (ie " 15 minutes to that lift, then over there in 20 mins to the chocolate stop..."etc.) , I was extremely aware of fear, concentrating on technique, and, yes, pain. I really didn't like being a beginner again!

It certainly revised my previously gung-ho attitude when skiing with less practised friends, and I think has signifcantly tempered my approach when sking with mixed abilities. Maybe I'll need to do it again in a few years, but the experience is something that will live with me for quite some time.

Meanwhile, welcome to snowHead TaffyApple!

While I do fancy boarding one day........... I'm a long way from being able to call myself an experienced skier!
latest report
Without wanting to step on peoples toes, I'm told be a few poeple there is a certain amount of rivalry between skiers and boarders, Now my wife is an aussie and can surf very well. Do you think she would be better off learning on a board??
ski holidays
Everyone is always better off learning to ski! snowHead
latest report
TaffyApple, welcome to snowHead s.
I agree with flashk5 that Soldeu might be an option.

Re: Lessons morning, skiing together in the afternoon:
There is one golden rule - don't rely on piste-map difficulty grading but make sure that if you are taking a relative beginner down a slope that you have skied it (with them in mind) beforehand.
I know exactly the VDI green that pam w is referring to; if you took her down that as a novice you would not be popular.

This year my sister-in-law (aged 47) went skiing for the first time with her husband. He had been many years before with school and is naturally sporting so was off in an intermediate group v quickly. She was put (correctly) in a slow beginners group. He took her up an "easy blue" on the second afternoon and frightened her so much that she didn't ski for three days.
snow conditions
Quote:

Do you think she would be better off learning on a board

What does she think? Depends what she fancies (apart from you, that is slippy). A good surfer will learn snowboarding faster than I did, that's for sure. Forget about the rivalry, that's for anoraks. Just do it. The more ways you can find of sliding around on the snow, the better.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
The more ways you can find of sliding around on the snow, the better.

As long as it is not accidental, I guess.
snow report
Red Leon, oh yes!! About to get out there and play!!
snow report
TaffyApple, a few thoughts.
I think you have had a lot of good suggestions about where to go but a couple of things have not been mentioned.
You are sensibly leaving booking until late hoping to get a cheaper deal. The other big advantage particularly for a beginner is that you can see where the good snow is.
Skiing nice soft fluffy stuff or lightly packed fluffy stuff is a lot more pleasant and easier for a beginner than skiing icy hardpack. Last year I was in Verbier for the first week of February and the nursery slopes and south and west facing slopes generally were very icy and not particularly pleasant or easy to ski. There were I believe similar conditions in much of the Western Alps meanwhile in Austria and Eastern Switzerland they were rolling in fresh fluffy snow. Next year the same may apply or the opposite could happen or any other variation of good/ bad snow conditions. I would see which areas have good snow before deciding on the individual resort. Ski resorts also look more attractive under fresh snow.
You also have to think of what accommodation you want to be in. Self catering may look cheap but may not be much fun for two if you self cater and won’t be cheap if you eat out all the time. Austria does hotels much better than any other ski nation and even the cheap ones are generally excellent the same cannot always be said for France. If you want to go to a chalet you will have much greater choice in France than elsewhere.
Of the countries that I have been to (I have not been to Eastern Europe or the Pyrenees) I would say that Austria is significantly cheaper than the others and a lot of the resorts have a nice traditional feel to them, which is often lacking in particular in the large French ones. I would therefore agree with your thoughts on Austria but only if the snow is good there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy