Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Board Gloves with Integral Wristguards?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Second week boarder and new to boarding kit. I'm in the market for some new gloves/wristguards. I have seen gloves with an integral sprung strip inside and also separate guards which fit inside the gloves (presumably oversized to normal).

Are there any significant benefits of one type over the other? Any advice welcomed.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead s. I have Dakine wrist guards which go under normal gloves. However you do need to check; you are right to assume that they would not fit under gloves that are very snug. I'll be interested to see the responses to your query. I do find my gloves get quite wet so it's useful to have two pairs which fit over the wrist guards. When it's very warm I can wear a very light pair. However, the integral ones also look quite good (though expensive) because when you take them off during pit stops it's one less bit of kit to keep track of. I'm a beginner too, and am beginning to learn how to fall to avoid putting my wrists at too much risk - don't try to use your hands to break your fall. It gets to be an automatic reaction after a while, also very useful when falling on icy pavements which breaks more wrists than snowboarding does, I reckon.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Pam

As a skier I know to keep the hands off the snow whenever possible when I take a tumble but, it only takes one slip. I've pushed the thumb back as well but not too far thankfully.

Could do with some more input please guys. Any brands of guard that are better than others?

Steve
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Right - I have to say my peace here. Hunsbury, IMHO what will save breaks to your wrists and arms will NOT be wrist guards but a butt pad or padded shorts.

Here's the logic (with many many trips to the hospital to verify my belief - all with beginner - 1 and 2 week - boarders):

1. You fall a lot on your butt when you start boarding.
2. You go straight down on your butt and all is well for the first few days or on powder.
3. After the 23rd time of falling on your coccyx, you start to feel slightly pukey as you anticipate falling on the raw bruise you have nurtured the first 23 times of falling.
4. On the 24th fall, your body suddenly - at the last minute - offers you a fabulous alternative to extruciating butt pain and flings your arms out so that your arms can happily take the impact instead of your butt.
5. And lo! Bingo - broken wrist(s)
6. With wrist guards? Bingo - the break is simply forced further up your arm and you have broken arm(s) instead.

Lots of people won't agree with me but this is my advice to you...Get a butt pad or padded shorts Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suggest you buy some Level Snowboard gloves - they have the integral wrist protection which is removable - snow abd rock and other reputable stores sell a good range of these.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hunsbury, Oh and Welcome to snowHead

Welcome to the world of boarding - will you ever go back??? Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hunsbury, I've got Level mitts. Leaving aside the protection which is quite convenient, they are top quality mitts that are absolutely bombproof.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No one cares for Flexmeters, then?
http://www.kandie-imports.com/flexmeter.html
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Morning all, DaKine are generally pretty comfy and do not have too much angle on them unlike some others on the market.

At the end of the day, they are designed to preven over-extension of the wrist which could result in a break/sprain/tear.. If you hit the ground hard enough then with or without guards you could suffer an impact break.

I am a very experienced boarder (Also skier) and personally prefer to ride with guards than without...it just seems to make more sense and somehow feels more secure... up to you. I disagree with the comments on breaks being forced further up the arm as I have had some big hits where I am certain I would have bust my wrist/arm if not wearing any guards.... Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am a Snowboarder looking for some wrist guards that protect my wrist but not limit my mobility, or sacrifice my comfort on the slopes or rail... Last year i was working on my backside rail slide and some how fell off and broke my wrist (almost completly in half).... that didnt stop me from finishing out the season...However i would prefer that not happen again, but I would rather chance it, then be uncomfortable the entire time so if any one has any suggestions or links please let me know or email me about this at snowboarder5175@yahoo
.com

thanks.....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowboarder5175 wrote:
I am a Snowboarder looking for some wrist guards that protect my wrist but not limit my mobility, or sacrifice my comfort on the slopes or rail...

I know nothing about snowboarding - I readily admit. But, how can a wrist guard limit one's mobility? I've skated all my life, and for the last ten years also inline skated. For that purpose, I bought a simple pair of wrist guards which I think would easily go inside a mitts. Why not try that for snowboarding too?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
By limit my mobility , I mean not being able to move my wrist/hand around as easliy when trying to strap In bindings or something such as tie a boot....if the wrist guard is stiff then that would totally stop my wrist from moving(that is what i don't want) it would basicly be the same thing as being in a cast.....lol (and after 6-8 weeks of being in a cast , you dont want anything to simulate that)....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowboarder5175, In that case the guards for skating might not be an option really.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I end up wearing mittens with my Da Kine wristguards.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy