Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Interpreting the GFS runs...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So if I read this correctly, it basically says that temps are all over the place in the coming weeks, with little agreement of any precipitation, but around the 9th looking the most hopeful??

This is for Geneva, right?

Am I correct?

snow conditions
 brian
brian
kitenski, it says it should get cooler in the next few days and there may be a flake or 2 on Wednesday, ignore the rest wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ah ok, so is the medium/long term stuff never correct then???
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian, That's what snow forecast is saying as well Very Happy Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski - what little (I think) I understand is that the more correlated Kontrol and Ensemble are then the more probable the outturn forecast. So through to around 3 Dec currently looks probable on the above (27 Nov 00Z) chart.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

That's what snow forecast is saying as well

I wonder if they could be related Puzzled snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Go and compare the charts from a few days ago (I took screenshots) in this thread: http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20659&start=40 and see how much things change over short periods...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_forecast_7.asp?resortID=37

Fingers very tightly crossed on this one.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
well there is a spike on the GFS around the same time as well Helen, so fingers crossed for the Alps generally Wink
snow report
 brian
brian
kitenski, if it's 4 days or less, you'd be disappointed (but not astonished) if it doesn't come off. If it's 4-7 days it's worth watching (especially if there is ensemble agreement and even better other model agreement). If it's >7 days then it's for interest only, imo.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Incidentally, it's worth knowing that metcheck, snow-forecast and the US Sembach forecasts are all GFS based (the first 2 are automatically regurgitated from GFS output), so a bit pointless using them as backup.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cheers Brian,

What other websites should be corralate the GFS against??

Regards,

Greg
latest report
 brian
brian
kitenski, the 2 other main models are the ECMWF (European joint venture) and the UKMO (our Met office).

ECM available on its own site (www.ecmwf.int), wetterzentrale and here (no precipitation output unfortunately but allows correlation of areas of Low and High pressure, etc).

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=0&mode=0

Easiest way to see UKMO is via the Fax charts (although they are modified by Met Office forecasters to take the other models into account, I believe the primary input is their own model). They're on wetterzentrale as well but this is quite a good page for viewing them:

http://www.mwis.org.uk/synoptic.php
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks to this fascinating thread I now find myself checking every web weather site I can get access to. It's addictive! I've been very enlightened as to how cr*p medium/long term weather forecasts are - I assume that the unique geography of the Alps contribute to this but just watching the situation develop for Tignes (where I am off on Thursday) shows how up and down the forecast is. Yesterday we were looking at a few flakes tomorrow with heavy snow over the weekend. Now the forecast shows heavier snow tomorrow with nothing much over the weekend. I can now see the folly of paying extra to access the 6 day forecasts on snow-forecast.com - pay extra for useless information!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Easiest way to see UKMO is via the Fax charts (although they are modified by Met Office forecasters to take the other models into account, I believe the primary input is their own model). They're on wetterzentrale as well but this is quite a good page for viewing them:

Yes, although you can get quite a bit of raw model output into the FAX charts at times. It's worth noting that the forecasters will take into account more models than just the "big 3". The French Arpege model (apparently), the Candian GEM model and the US Navy (I think) NOGAPS are worth looking at - especially when the other models are not in general agreement (I've not used the French model though). The Basel-based model is also worth checking out for localised back-up though it stresses that it's experimental.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy