Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting from Geneva to St Jean D'Aulpes

Poster: A snowHead
We are trying to decide on the best (cheapest wink ) method of above. Party of 10, inc 4 children. Transfers are coming out expensive for what would seem a short and easish journey (St Jean is just outside Morzine) so we are considering car hire (would need 3 cars) or failing that, public bus. Altibus looks good but the times aren't, so any suggestions as to other bus providers or car hire company recommendations, gratefully received. Thanks wink Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anniepen, I'm v. surprised that transfers look more expensive than car hire...have you tried http://www.alp-line.com/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anniepen - I'm with David Murdoch and am surprised that transfers aren't cost effective as they usually work out best for groups bigger than four.

As well as David's suggestion you could try www.skitransfers.co.uk - but give them a ring as on their web site they only mention transfers for up to 8 people and try to speak to Rob or Jane (whose company it is) directly. (One good thing is that they do booster seats for kids.)

One advantage of driving is that it makes you (or part of the group) more independent.

If you decide to drive then I can email you some directions - just PM me with your address (before 5 December).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anniepen, We're going to Thollon (not far from St Jean) over New Year, and we are a party of 10 adults hiring 2 mini MPVs from Avis for 8 days, from the French side which is much cheaper. As we (both families) use Tescos, we have traded our vouchers for Deals tokens which can be used for Avis car hire, so the car hire cost us nothing. The car hire would have been about £300 per car.

How about hiring a mini-bus?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IncogSkiSno - have you hired from the French side before? I ask because I understood that you don't get a Swiss motorway badge as standard and have to pay for a winterised vehicle - but this might be heresay...?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno, I've been trying to rent mini buses over New Year from Zurch and been told its now impossible to get one now although you still see plenty advertised on car hire web sites they don't seem to actually have any left in Swiss airports, worth a try but I think the (many) transfer companys will be able to help, some are more reasonable than others but its a popular time to travel of course, Ski Transfers and Alp Line are def worth a try

/Anniepen, I'm also PM ing you number for Neil at All Around The Alps who we used last season for mates who visited us in Morzine, I THINK he lives in St Jean D'Aulps. Had some of the nicest food of my stay in St Jean D'aulps (biggest portions too, hick,burp Laughing never to be forgotten!!)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton, Yup last year we hired from the French side, and it wasn't too bad finding our way out of the airport either! No you don't get the Swiss motorway badge, but we didn't need it and we travelled to Villars. Winterised- do you mean snow tyres? I believe it had snow tyres but we had to hire the snow chains Confused I may stand to be corrected on this one, so I'll double check with Avis tomorrow as I am sending off my vouchers then anyway Confused
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IncogSkiSno wrote:
Winterised- do you mean snow tyres?

Yep. On the Swiss side you get snow tyres and snow chains as standard.

Anniepen - if you do hire a car at Geneva it's worth factoring any cost of having a "winterised" vehicle and whether you need to go via the Swiss motorway - for which you need a badge that costs 50 CHF if there isn't one on your car.

There are two ways to St Jean d'Aulp - the easiest way is via the Swiss motorway to the (French) A40 - although you can avoid the Swiss motorway by some fancy footwork in the Geneva suburbs, or by going via Thonon.

I must admit that I try to avoid the Thonon route as the road up from Thonon to St Jean d'Aulps is very windy with lots of 270 degree bends. But that might just be me. I'd be interested in other people's views...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

we have traded our vouchers for Deals tokens which can be used for Avis car hire, so the car hire cost us nothing.

beware of the rate at which your tesco deals token for Avis is translated into euros. I did that at Geneva (Swiss side) the year before last but had to pay extra because we got back late. Fair enough, but the "extra" seemed extortionate and we had a plane to catch. When I worked it out on return the exchange rate which had effectively been used was ludicrous. Avis UK customer service were quite helpful and acknowledged the problem right away but the foreign operations are independent and it took loads of phone calls and a very long wait before I eventually got some money back. It might be worth checking exactly what the value of your tokens will be in local currency and arguing about it beforehand if it seems wrong. If you are saving a lot by renting in France you could probably afford to buy the Swiss motorway vignette and still be in credit; it's certainly much quicker and easier to get straight from the airport onto the motorway and shared between your party the cost is not much more than a couple of coffees on the slopes. Incidentally, though it is often claimed that you get "snow chain as standard" on the Swiss side, I have not invariably found that to be the case.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Incidentally, though it is often claimed that you get "snow chain as standard" on the Swiss side, I have not invariably found that to be the case.

That's interesting to know pam w.

I usually mention that I'm going to a ski resort using the phrase "anything will do - we just need space for skis..." when I get to the rental desk - which may be why I've always ended up with a car with chains.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all - lots of interesting advice. We've had a quick look at one care hire site and the three (small) cars we'd need, cost about the same as the more expensive transfer quote. One minibus wouldn't really work as two of the party have a return flight about 8 hours before the rest of us (going back to Spain not UK). We'll take a good look at the options, but again, thanks for the help snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anniepen, PhillipStanton,

Ok I have rung Avis and for the 7 seater it is:

French side:

Car Hire 7 seater (Vauxhall Zifira or EQ) £318.40 NO snowtyres!

Ski package: This is an extra €125 which includes, tyres, chains and ski racks ( the ski rack can be exchanged free of charge for a snowboard rack)

or

Snowboard rack €30

chains €30

Swiss side:

Car Hire £898 which includes the snowpackage and AFAIK motorway badge.

So for us because we need the 7 seater and the only one they do on the Swiss side is the larger type, for us it works out cheaper to book from the French side. We probably didn't have snow tyres last year as I never booked the Ski package, but we never had any problems.

You can get further discounts for paying upfront, but with using our Tesco vouchers that was not available to us. Confused

Anniepen The advantage of having a car you can ski other resorts, and there are plenty a short drive from St John that are well worth a visit. Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IncogSkiSno - £898 - are you buying it or renting it Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

The road up to Morzine from both Cluses / Taninges and Thonon is an obligatory snow tyres / chains road if there's a storm and the police say so (though I must admit that I've no idea how this works).

Personally, I'd pay for the tyres as I saw an accident a day last Christmas - including a car 360 in front of me on the road up from Cluses.

You definitely get a motorway badge on the Swiss side (famous last words...)

It might be interesting to see what our trusty Holiday Autos link quotes you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IncogSkiSno, that's a huge difference on price between the Swiss and French side. In the past I have sometimes found a big difference, sometimes practically none. Yes, all the Swiss ones include the motorway vignette automatically. I don't know what the French car hire companies do when a hirer has had to buy a vignette. They stick it on the windscreen at the border and it can't be removed without ruining it so they should really just leave them on, rather than waste them. When I had to buy one I certainly hoped so! But don't forget to check what value in euros Avis will give you for the Tesco vouchers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PhillipStanton, exactly!!! But as I am using the vouchers it's not a problem, it is for 8 days and not 7, but even so . . .

I am swaying towards the ski package as it works out to be about £40 more for us as we were going to have the chains and rack anyway. We saw some accidents on the road up to Villars and we always pay for the excess cover too.

I am sure you can get cheaper deals with perhaps Holiday Autos, but they no longer take the Tesco vouchers - they used to though Confused

pam w, I think the price difference is in part to do with the fact that it is a different spec car, they don't do the Zafira from the Swiss side, only the Espace, which is larger Sad
snow report
IncogSkiSno, the Zafira should be fine for 5 adults as long as you don't have too much luggage and are prepared to have the odd bag on your lap. The snowtyres are well worth it as they will probably mean you don't need to stop to put on the damned chains. Though I always feel ambivalent about putting on chains; it is a pain, but half of me is always excited that there is enough snow to need them (unless it happens on your way back to Geneva after a snowless week, of course, then there is absolutely nothing to be said for it!)
latest report
pam w, yes, we did it last year and were fine, BUT now easyjet have introduced the one bag only rule, which means one large bag rather than say 2 smaller ones, which are easier to get in and make use of the smaller spaces. rolling eyes

I have just rung Avis again to book the winter package, and it's not available with our car, so we'll just have to make do with the snowchains - shame!!! Sad
ski holidays
 brian
brian
IncogSkiSno, have they run out of Zafiras the week you're going ? Avis swiss side definitely have them, we rented one last Feb and it shows this morning on Avis' website.

It's Group L.
snow conditions
brian, Yup and I have just rung them and they still quoted me £814 pre pay and £898 Tesco deal vouchers, so must be the same group as the Espace (gone up £10 for some unknown reason) Shocked Shocked Shocked I could buy a car for that money!!!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
IncogSkiSno, that's weird. A group L is available from www.avis.ch at prepay CHF722, pay later CHF842 (about £310/£360). Dates I checked were 30/12 - 6/1.
snow report
brian, That is weird, the Swiss Franc price sounds similar to the GBP price, hmm. . . I shall ring again just to confirm. Confused
snow conditions
brian, I finally got through to them again and was told the same prices, so I queried it again saying I got a different price every time I rang and that the online price was different. Anyway, the Zafira was hidden in the Estate section for the Swiss side, and I was finally quoted £414 for pay now price and £460 with the Vouchers. It certainly pays to question Confused

We have decided to stick with what we've got and just add the chains.
latest report
 brian
brian
IncogSkiSno, confidence inspiring stuff from Avis, not rolling eyes

Sounds like your French side deal is easily better. If you want to use the Swiss motorway, the vignette is only CHF 40, about £18. You can buy them at petrol stations.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy