Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selling Older Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I have acquired two sets of skis that were given to me by someone who doesn't ski but works for someone who was cleaning out their garage before they moved interstate.

I have taken them to a store that buys second hand sporting equipment and been told that they are too old for them to buy plus the bindings are now too old to be adjusted at stores. They estimated them to be about 9 or 10 years old?

They are both straight skis, 180cm with bindings. They are:

Volant FX-2L with stainless steel on the upper side, brand new, never used

Salomon ML-X9, nearly new.

I was told by the store that these styles are not popular anymore and I have had a look around on EBay and there are only a couple of these types and all on sale for a very low price - the shipping is invariably three times the reserve price.

So my questions are - should I bother trying to sell the skis on Ebay, and if not, is there anywhere I can send them where they will be bought/used rather than just throwing them away.

Many thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They might make a nice decoration on someone's wall. As you've discovered, second hand skis of this age are worthless. Those Volants would have been pretty flash back in the day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nrutas, I think many skiers - like me - already have a collection of out-of-date skis and don't need any more. Googling the Volants suggests that you might try and sell $60 for them in the US but who knows if you would get it? (presume you are from there - since you use the word "interstate" - most of he posters on this forum are UK based - might epic be more useful to you?) You just might find someone who really does want to stick to the same ski and has some Volants wearing out.

I love looking on ebay and seeing skis of 20 years ago "in good condition" being advertised...

Unless you cost you own time at minimum wage, I would chuck them away.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The FX is a first generation Volant from 90-93 range, a bit if a dog of a ski. The Salomon was their lowest level of a ski fron 95ish. Neither ski has any real collectors value. Neither pair would fetch more than 10-25/pr.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any ski from 90-93 would be "a bit of a dog" now anyway Wink
Skis really have moved on a LONNNNNNNNNNNNG way in the last decade.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nrutas, Yes - sorry, but have to agree with the previous posters. the skis are worthless, but you can make a really good sledge out of an old pair of skis (probably not the Solomons which are likely to be monocoque). Bit of a block where the bindings were, board across. String from the tips and you'll be the fastest thing on the slopes - not too far to fall either! Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy