Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GS Ski length

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After this week's GS race course in Tignes, it was suggested that I try out some GS skis. My skis are more like slalom skis (Volkl attiva 4*, side-cut radius 11.2m), and Mr docsquid and my instructor suggested that I try out longer skis which would be more stable at the higher speeds in GS. I didn't do this because I also needed all-purpose skis for the technical course that I was doing in the afternoons.

However, I might like to try some out either at the Snowdome or Courchevel in January.

My current skis (147's) come up to my eyes, as I'm only 158cm tall, so are an appropriate length for all-purpose on-piste skiing. The question is, what length GS skis should I try? I know 185's are the default length, but that would clearly be ridiculous for somebody like me, who is not only short but very lightweight too (only 7 1/2 stone).

Any suggestions for appropriate length and type of skis to try? I'll take my own skis, and plan on renting for one day to see how I get on.

I also reckon that Mr docsquid and my instructor are wrong - it is not the skis that are the problem, it is the skier, but that is another story wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For a woman, 175cm is the minimum for proper racing not 185.

Don't try out a GS ski at a snowdome, you won't be able to get them up to speed before you have to stop.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
docsquid, I should think (assuming you're not actually going to be racing seriously) that around 160-165 would probably do the trick. You may not be able to get "real" GS skis in this length, but a GS-type ski should be OK. I totally agree with rjs, that a snowdome would be hopeless for trying out GS skis! MK = 2 turns if you're lucky. Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So, docsquid, unless you are racing in FIS races, you don't need to worry about minimum lengths. You might well find a GS-like ski more all round useful as it won't want to turn quite so much. 147's are pretty short though, without being rude, are they adult skis?

Also, ski length is more to do with weight than height, so are you a pie eater or quite sylph like. (Rhetorical question, I don't need to know).

Without knowing how you ski, it's impossible to make any suggestions but I know Volkl make a detuned GS like ski. Can't recall it's exact designation. If you're not on a race ski, add a little length, say to 155, or even 160 and see how you get on.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy