Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowblower advice

Poster: A snowHead
Making the wild assumption that it does snow at 1,052m in the Chamonix valley this winter, we're going to need a snowblower.

Any recommendations? or do I just order one from Carrefour? They have an MTD one marked 56/50 which I think is the size.

The driveway is basically flat and has parking for around 6 cars plus an area about 14m2 beside the house.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
splash out get a pistenbully Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could do as I did yesterday and use an avy. shovel to clear two strips free of snow up a 100m access road so that poorly equipped cars can drive away. Not quite as much fun as using a snow blower, but a more effective exercise regime Wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think every home should have one - I mean, what DIY-Dad would not be pleased with one of those? (even if it does sit in the garage for all but a day a year!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, Shocked I hope that won you a few very grateful friends/drinks snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, you have the perfect excuse to buy a quad blike, as its possible to buy a snowplough attachment for them. Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The drive belt (read: heavy duty rubber band) broke on the snow blower at our holiday place last winter. Replacing it required removing the engine, or some similar major dismantling and remantling. You may like to check on maintenance and replacement issues before committing to a particular model.
(Edit - spelling)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 26-11-06 18:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Choice of two for sale here Very Happy
http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=34&Overide=0
Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, I'll have the bigger one please...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They're not cheap are they!!! I reckon with a bit of skill you could convert say an old rotovator or similar into one at a fraction of the cost!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chris, I don't think my garden is big enough...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin wrote:
rob@rar, Shocked I hope that won you a few very grateful friends/drinks snowHead

As one of the poorly equipped cars was mine it was a case of mutual gratitude. We would have shaken hands and said "thanks" but as I'd been digging for 45 minutes with a short-handled avy shovel I wasn't able to stand upright, so we just muttered some warm words and went our ways.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch, Do you have your snowblower choices narrowed down a bit?
I may have some great advice, seriously, but first, its good to know how much area you need to keep clear of snow. Are you planning on managing the sidewalks/paths, as well as driveway?
What kind of space do you ahve to store it away when its not in use?

To give you a bit of my back ground:
I run an excavation company with my husband. In the winter we snow plow commercial accounts, some of which want their sidewalks shoveled.
In the interest of keeping in shape, I took that job for myself, and let the guys who work for us stay in the loaders/pick up trucks.

I have two snow blowers I take with me in a pick up truck equipped with a lift tailgate. I usually start clearing sidewalks at 2 AM and finish at 8 AM, throughout the winter. Because I am out there alone, I have learned to maintain my equipment myself, so I've developed a bit of knowledge over the past 10 years.

The Airens 5 hp 24" will do most of the jobs I have, but once in a while I need something more substantial. That's when I unload the simplicity 8.5 hp 28". The simplicity has an electric start, but I don't have access to electricity when I'm out on the jobs, so I pull start and don't find it difficult, though the 5 HP is much easier.

Ask me anything!
Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowHot, Shocked Michigan make snowblowers Shocked wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SnowHot, This is exactly the sort of info I'm looking for, rather than the cheeky comments, nonsense and general rudeness one usually finds around SHs wink

One of the local supermarkets (seriously) has an MTD model marked 50/56 (which will be in cms - so allow that to be 20/22 in inches). It seems reasonably priced.

I have a garage to store it in and I guess the square footage I need to clear is around 850-900 square feet. It is mostly flat ground and gravelled. I have no idea what the average snowfall is, but most of my friends living out there have snowblowers and use them with some frequency.

Thanks in advance,

DM
snow conditions
David Murdoch, you've got to get one with tracks and a headlight ! I would love one, and it hardly ever snows here Cool
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/snotra.asp
snow report
David...though I have no experience of snowblowers I do have a lot of experience of powertools and motorised garden type equiptment.
There is just one key piece of advice:

Buy cheap=buy twice.

Don't skimp, and in doing that you will:
Buy more HP than you think you need.
Buy more width than you think you need.
Spend a bit more than you think you want to spend.

Doing so will save yourself the cost and hasle of the second trip to the snowblower shop when you have to replace or upgrade from the first cheapie that you bought.

Actually 2 pieces of advice:

Buy American made....their market is so big and so competitive for this kind of kit. Bad stuff will get nowhere in the US, unlike Europe where there is some real dross from China.
snow conditions
David Murdoch, I wouldn't go with that one you found.
I'd go for a 24inch(50 cm ish) with about a 5hp or 7 hp engine.
A headlight can be nice if you don't have yard lights. I don't have a light on mine because most of my work is done where there is ample lighting.

I don't know what you have available over there for brands.

Give me an idea of size and engine availabiltiy and I can help you out a bit more.

My prefered small engine is Honda.
My 5 hp has a Tecumseh engine on it. When I got it I was skeptical because we always thought of the brand as Te-junk-seh. I've had this snowblower for 6 years and it's still going strong. Although I think I may have to put rings in it this season. Sad
latest report
Well, I'm waiting on pins and needles. Did you get your new snowblower yet?
ski holidays
I was out snowblowing sidewalks and driveways this morning and I was thinking..............hmmm, what did David Murdoch, get?

I've been using my 8hp snowblower more as of late because there has been some significant snow here FINALLY. Hope you're having good luck finding what you need.
snow conditions
SnowHot, I am very sorry for not updating you.

Do you know I haven't even had a chance to unpack it yet? having left it a little late to buy (local stores had almost sold out) I have either the 5.5HP, 22" MTD 611D or the 8HP 26"E 640 F.

I strongly suspect it's the smaller and so far I'm quite sure it's enough for my needs. Which so far include sitting in a large carton in my garage Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Typical, I go spend €€€ on the darn thing and don't even need it.
snow conditions
I use Honda mowers for work. They are happy cutting all day every day and we very rarely have a problem. Honda also make snowblowers so would be worth looking at them. Also Husqvarna or Stihl - we use loads of Husky and Stihl chainsaws and so on, again they are happy working all day every day. I should think their snowblowers would be good as well.
ski holidays
Oh, this is an oldy thread and you've got one already. That's why you now have not much snow - it's certainly working very well even though it's still not been unpacked. It's amazing how technology has evolved!
latest report
petemillis, Laughing Laughing

Well, I would happily have paid more for less efficiency! I also bought a mighty fine spade which has seen a little use...
ski holidays
petemillis, you got the right idea. But, most of the newer mowers and blowers come with tecumseh motors instead of honda. My 5 hp had a Tecumseh, which has just finally died after many years of use. I am replacing it with a honda. The 8 hp(26") is a bit big for loading and unloading on all the accounts I haul out on, but its getting me by until I get my smaller unit fixed up.

Tecumseh makes a few different small engines in the same hp. For instance, a 5 hp is not just a 5 hp, they have one for cold weather, and one for warm weather. The cold weather unit for snowblowers is a bit more durable.

David Murdoch, The 5hp, 22" will suit you fine for a small driveway, and sidewalks, the only reason for a bigger one in your situation is if you get some severe storms and have huge drifts.
ski holidays
SnowHot, if I get a huge storm (just one mind, that'll do, the more the merrier of course) and huge drifts and my guests have to cope with a 5 minute hill climb just to get the best skiing of the season, I'll be quite happy.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, You think pretty much the same way I think! How scary is that?? Laughing

Actually I think you may have single handedly caused the snow drought over there! You do know that the purchase of equipment to be prepared for snow will ensure that you won't need said equipment! Shocked
snow report
one of my friends has one of these

http://www.thomasloaders.com/products/MarketingInfo/MiniSkids/25GModel.htm

and seems to find it rather handy for snow removal....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, And anybody else, I needed some spare parts for my Honda engine this summer, prices here in Spain and the UK were five times what I eventually paid buying direct from the USA and that included shipping. All done over the internet, so easy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy